↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brakes- calipers & discs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Brakes- calipers & discs
What's everyone's thoughts on replacement calipers and discs? I have a Td5 90 thats been my daily driver for 8 years, and according to my garage the calipers are almost done. I have my MOT in the next couple of months but I was thinking of getting them replaced or upgraded before then.

The truck is standard in terms of suspension, gearing, tune etc and if I did go down the route of improvements in these areas it wouldn't be to the extreme- I still need it to work off road, tow 3.5t horsebox and be my daily driver.

The truck still stops fine, although the first time I use the brakes after a few miles at motorway/country road speeds it can pull slightly to one side. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #391259 21st Jan 2015 11:17pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Your callipers are almost done Question
I'm hoping they or you meant 'brake pads'.

If the discs are still in good order, you can have your brake pads replaced yourself in a couple of minutes.
Post #391276 21st Jan 2015 11:46pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
You might find that the reason that your motor pulls to one side after a motorway stint is due to sticky pistons, probably why your mechanics are saying they need changing. I changed my front discs last year, like for like, and there was a hell of an improvement.
I know that there's a lot banded about, going on about upgrading the brakes but, your Defender was perfectly OK when it left the factory. You put new discs and either rebuild the calipers or put new ones on and you're back to how it was when it left the factory. There's a lot said about the weights that you're towing, which I know you do as you're about the only one I know with a dobbin box like your's! Don't forget that there's brakes on the trailer and as such it's not the towing vehicle doing all the braking, you must have felt the trailer actually doing all the braking at times.
Knowing your nationality, I would recommend replacing like for like, perhaps if you're still on solid discs on the front the only upgrade I'd say is to go to vented discs and the relevant calipers such as on the 110. New brake fuid and away you go.
Post #391279 21st Jan 2015 11:49pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
i had a caliper replaced under warranty as it was squealing (guess the piston was sticking or something)

upgraded the brakes to the 6 pots and had a play around, the pistons coating is crap... there not stainless or anything and was already sticking after ~300 miles
Post #391313 22nd Jan 2015 2:38am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Getting a bit worried now. In all those years I only had an occasional issue where I needed new seals for the calipers on a car. Are those on a Defender really this inferior you actually need to replace them once in a while?
Post #391326 22nd Jan 2015 8:44am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm not really sure what you're actually asking.

The brakes in standard spec are totally adequate for every purpose unless you've radically modified your vehicle or drive like a complete nutter, so I wouldn't "upgrade" the brakes unless there's a very good reason to.

When replacing discs and/or calipers, I only ever use AP Driveline (Delphi) parts, never budget parts, and absolutely categorically never Britpart parts. A genuine Landrover branded, AP manufactured rear caliper for my 2007 110 is around £250 + VAT, the same part in an AP Driveline box is around £70. it is exactly the same part, you are paying £180 for the box. Shocked

Much the same is true for the discs - OEM typically £50 per pair, Landrover around three times that.

I am sure you know that you must replace pads as an axle set, discs as an axle set and if changing the discs fit new pads as well, and although you do hear of people changing a single caliper it is really not recommended - do the axle pair for safety.

Life expectancy - I opted to replace the front calipers and discs on my 2007 110 about a year ago. At the time it was about 6 years old and had done approx 130k miles. All the pistons in the calipers were showing signs of surface rust, one was sticking, and the outer dust seals on all pistons were beginning to fail. The discs were about 80% worn, so it seems a good time to change. I am jst about to do the same on the rear end for the same reasons, now the vehicle is 7.1/2 years old and has done 160k miles or so.

Caliper life will be determined by a combination of factors including age, mileage and the type of use the vehicle has had, so the above, whilst reasonable guidelines, are not absolute indications of life.

As far as fitting new seals goes, when a new caliper can be had for under £100, I wouldn't consider changing the seals in a 5 year plus old caliper. Generally the surface rust on the piston means that the pistons need changing too, and the hassle involved in doing the job means it simply isn't worth it when a new caliper can be had for such a good price. If the alternative was forking out £250 for a genuine one, then I might. I have also in the past subsequently fully rebuilt the calipers I have taken off, since this can be done at leisure, and the overhauled calipers can then co back on when the next change is due.
Post #391351 22nd Jan 2015 10:15am
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
I agree with Blackwolf, stick with OEM parts upgrade with new OEM Calipers and discs if required. I paid circa £100/ caliper for OEM AP a couple of years back.

Advanced factors sells cailpers from £45 or so.

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #391372 22nd Jan 2015 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I replaced all the callipers, pads and discs on my 90 Td5 a couple of years ago.

I swapped to 110 front brakes, so that they became vented disc, I also went for grooved discs, and AP callipers not cheap copies.

The back grooved discs and AP callipers.

Combined with braided hoses, and a fluid change, this gave me great brakes, and not at a massive cost.

Andy
Post #391425 22nd Jan 2015 1:13pm
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
i was wanting to know what to look out for when getting my front calipers & discs replaced, from the sounds of it the vented disc option is probably the one I'll end up going for. For that I'll go for decent OEM parts from a reputable supplier, and get my garage to drain the system & start afresh. I'm not interested in cheap, more that a decent set of calipers, discs & pads are an investment in my safety and that of others.

The calipers on the truck just now are probably original, and at 12 years old I guess they don't owe me anything. I guess it's pretty sound advice not to get seals replaced when a new ca;iper can be had for not much more. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #393903 29th Jan 2015 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1