↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Whats the best plug in power upgrade ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lyon99

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Whats the best plug in power upgrade ?
Hi All
I am looking for a power upgrade i fitted a psi plugged in to injector wires but the unit was faulty not good real flat spot between 2500 3000rpm and it juddered in 5th and 6th at about 2000rpm had it on for 100 miles,
So i was wondering if anyone knows of a good plug in i dont really want a remap as i have only had the land rover 6 weeks and put on 5500 miles , And does this void the warranty,
Thanks
Post #33834 6th Jun 2010 9:08pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I think that could be a contradiction in terms "good and plug in" Mike
Post #33839 6th Jun 2010 10:35pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Have to say I have used plug-ins for the last six years now and never had a problem with a good 'un. I acted as a supplier for Diesel-Tuner and had good experiences with their 'Spider'. I also have some experience with Jeremy-Fearn who re-writes the ECU, again I used to supply his tuning products for the Freelander L-series and TD4.

I would always say that a proper re-write of the ECU (people sometimes call it 'chipping') is the best solution, however, if you've made your mind up that you do not want a re-write and instead definitely want a plug-in then I would say the Diesel-Tuner product is very good.

Tunit in my opnion are no better and twice the price.

I also have experience with Dastek and would avoid there system. It caused no end of running problems on my Freelander TD4, making a horrible pinking noise, was dead below 2000rpm, had a lot of hesitancy, smoked like Censored , loss of power until eventually you had to unplug the unit for a drive to 'reset' everyhting' When first re-installed it was fine, then all the problems returned. Through my association with Freelander orientated clubs, I became aware that everyone in the clubs using a Dastek seemed to have problems!

Good luck,
Harvey
Post #33849 7th Jun 2010 7:35am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Try RACECHIP from Germany. You have the option to regulate some "parametres". Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #33866 7th Jun 2010 11:28am
dgardel

Italy 
Steinbauer (D) I used it on my Volvo S60 d5 for 300000km without problems

http://www.steinbauer.cc/ Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #33872 7th Jun 2010 12:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Michael S

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Tonga Green
MK wrote:
Try RACECHIP from Germany. You have the option to regulate some "parametres".

I've had one of these on my 110 TDCi for a year and seems not to cause any problems and very easy to fit/remove as required; just makes the speed limiter very obvious and perhaps necessary.

In the agricultural world Steinbauer seem quite well regarded. My previous Td5 had a PSI power box with an uprated intercooler with no problems after 6 years/60000 miles.

The key with all types seems to be not to be too greedy with the gains you chase.

Michael
Post #33881 7th Jun 2010 7:28pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I can sell you a "plug in power upgrade", you can plug it in and re-write/remap your ecu, then for dealer visits you can plug it back in and re-write/remap it back to factory giving you the best of both worlds which is a real remap with the function to plug in and turn on or off.and a basic engine fault code reader to boot.

Link here.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic397.ht...+interface

Or if you want the cheaper fooling type plug in and keep in box as most produce and sell, here is the scematic of what is usually inside most of them, made for about 5 quid with parts from Maplin electronics.

Click image to enlarge

Pete
Post #33882 7th Jun 2010 7:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Forgotten about BAS' plug in self programme kit. Have to say I'm not sure if I want to tune my Puma, but if I did I would ring BAS and talk about it.

I really believe that talking to the proprieter will tell you all you need to know. I am a big fan of Jeremy Fearn and have dealt with plug-ins, but from this forums feedback BAS has to be 1st choice.

Harvey
Post #33887 7th Jun 2010 9:30pm
lyon99

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Thanks all for your opinions and prier experience with different re maps and plug ins i will phone BAS and hopefully get sorted out in the next few days.
I had a dastec plug in on my td5 110 2004 and it went great throttle response great for the trailer work , I spend qwite alot of time towing and the extra power makes all the difference and more fun to drive and Censored off boy racers Very Happy
Many thanks [/img]
Post #33895 7th Jun 2010 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1