↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Power Loss after Snorkel Fit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CFB

United Kingdom 
Power Loss after Snorkel Fit
Fully fitted my Safari Snorkel today, pig of a job to connect up all the plumbing but all done, however there is a definite lack of low end response from the engine since and it seems to tickover a bit faster too Confused

Prior to installing it there was no air ducting at all, the air filter canister just drew air in from the entry hole at the bottom as it had all previously been removed for some reason.

Anyone else experienced this? Fitted snorkels to many other Land Rovers and never had this issue, perhaps it's just the difference from having proper air ducting instead of none and this is now how it should respond?? Andy
Post #33123 27th May 2010 7:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ironically I too fitted a Safari Snorkel Monday. I have no difference in performance other than my intake induction growl from my ITG filter has gone! As the engine demands and sucks air as it needs it I would have thought it would be better having a forced air scenario with the Snorkel facing forward? Then again on the Puma is is a bolt on package with no change to the plumbing other than the sealing up of joints. Maybe your ecu has been set up to run with the setup and lack of ducting you had and maybe needs to be reverted back to standard? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #33126 27th May 2010 8:32pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Seems to run smoother when at speed due to the Ram effect of the snorkel, just needs more throttle at low speeds to get moving, guess it's just the way it is.

At least I can wade it with confidence now, all joints double sealed with silcone and jubilee clips Smile Andy
Post #33130 27th May 2010 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I´m about to fit mine. A modified for a Td5 LHD. BEar in mind there is a hollow spaces at the bottom and sides which are useless IMHO. Im filling it with some muck to avoid any turbulence load losses. Can not be any worse than the new mantec. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #33141 27th May 2010 11:41pm
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Had no issues with either performance or economy since I fitted my Mantec plastic jobby! Def the way to go Thumbs Up Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #33216 29th May 2010 3:30pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
The more I drive it the better it actually seems, much smoother and quieter, perhaps before it was getting too much air if that's possible???? Andy
Post #33217 29th May 2010 3:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Put mine on last week after having it since november.

I have to say they car runs better Exclamation

I have pictures for those interesting.

Sealing it was a challenge. I forgot to seal the internal duct box to main pipe so it was inner wing off to do it as the snorkel is sealed well to the wing and i didnt want to fiddle with that.

Also minor wing snorkel alingment issue to the front, sealed up although im sure the inner seal was fine - i dont know if anyone else has found that? Mike
Post #33235 29th May 2010 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1