↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > ALPINE PDX-F4 AMP Or?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
ALPINE PDX-F4 AMP Or?
Looking to improve audio, have focal speakers and a clarion NZ502E head unit. if i purchase the above amp will the performance be worth the pennies?

is it a simple case of head unit to the amp then running new cables from the amp to the speakers?

I also have a alpine sub which is the swe(?) 1200 which i really don't think much of so probably looking to get a new sub set up sooner or later happy with the focals just want to improve if possible..

car is fully fitted with dynamat also.

im guessing for a hard top this amp would work well for the speaker (- the amp), it would power the fronts and rears then i could get a separate amp and sub or is it better to get a 5 channel amp that will do all 4 speakers and the amp

or is that not how it works?

cheers.
Post #377396 8th Dec 2014 8:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sounds to me like you want a 4 chanel Amp for the speakers, which if the amp is suitable to then daisy chain ( via RCA's) to a 1 channel mono amp for the sub.
I wouldn't recomment a 5 Chanel personally as the flexibility in the power you require won't be there and it'll be difficukt to match up.
Some Amps allow you to daisy chain others not, if you don't you are forced to use splitters or a processor which gets complicated and in some cases lose sound quality
Post #377401 8th Dec 2014 8:58pm
Likeomg

been doing a bit of browsing and i think im going to purchase a focal amp http://caraudiosecurity.com/fpp4100-4-channel-amplifier to sort the speakers out, also going to get this amp / sub combo http://caraudiosecurity.com/j2-w3-12-deal

anybody have any thoughts?

not really 100% on the daisy chain etc is it not just as simple as plugging the sub into the back of the clarion

i read on the clarion website this about the head unit..

With 3 sets of RCA outputs, with 2 channels each, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. What’s more, the 4 volt output ensures a pure, high quality signal for the entire sound system.
Post #377581 9th Dec 2014 4:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you've got a premium HU they normally have more RCA pre outs, usually one set marked rear and another marked sub.
If you have these or more which it seems you do that'll then give you more control than daisy chaining them.
Daisy chaining is more applicable if you want two amps, I.e. You have sub pre outs, but you want a mono Amp for one Sub in the front but a 2 Chanel for the rear for another two subs.
This would then give you the same control for Amps via the HU.
For your purposes though, I'd wire the RCA's for your sub using the sub pre outs and the Amp for the rear pre outs.
It'll give you more control, but if you want to add more I.e. 6x9's you'd need to have an Amp with incoming RCA connections and outgoing.
The Sub and Amp combo you list will be fine, without looking into the specs.
Post #377588 9th Dec 2014 5:15pm
Likeomg

this whole speaker business always confuses me, thanks for the help

when i get it all in front of me hopefully it will make sense
Post #377593 9th Dec 2014 5:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I know it sounds complicated but once it's in front of you as you say it is much easier.
One of those things that is easier in practice than to talk about.
So long as people use the correct gauge cable, suitable fusing for the load and match their Amp to sub. (Or speakers) power figures then you can't really go wrong.
I'm sure you'll have no problems but if you have any questions you is know where I am to PM.

Thumbs Up
Post #377596 9th Dec 2014 6:11pm
Likeomg

Cool thanks, wiring wise was going to buy some high quality while I'm here in the states and just make up the cables back home

Amp to sub shouldn't be a problem as its a package I'll just try not to burn the truck down
Post #377602 9th Dec 2014 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1