↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > A Real Shocker! Advice Needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
A Real Shocker! Advice Needed.
Hello All!
While On my way home today there was a loud ping from the back somewhere,there was no nasty noises after and the handling seemed no more bouncy than normal,but going down a very lumpy road and it felt like the back axel was hitting on the bump stops.Once home a quick look has revealed that the nut holding the rear n/s shock to the axel has sheared off! That must have been the loud ping noise then Whistle

So what do I replace the rear shocks with:
It's a 90 csw,poly bushed on standard springs,it's also a working vehicle which is often full of heavey building materials ( bricks etc ) and also tows a Sankey sometimes.

Cheers Stephen.
Post #375079 29th Nov 2014 7:56pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
There are different grades of polybush. Which did you have fitted?
Pickles.
Post #375108 29th Nov 2014 10:12pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
It's a common occurence how many miles has the shockers done? were they over tightened or even not tight enough I've also had it on a V8 with standard shocks 110 and a Disco 1 on Procomp es9000

Uncas
Post #375134 29th Nov 2014 11:23pm
Ellisboy

Pickles: they are the red type of polybushes

Uncas: the shocks are de carbon gas type,which I fitted at 71,000 miles and it's now showing 127,000. I do live by the sea and everything rusts here.
Post #375168 30th Nov 2014 9:53am
theorangebandit

Sounds like it could be anything. But for one shock to fail I would say the fault is the shock. Simply change it. My opinion is that polybushes aren't a requirement and in my experience have caused more problems than they've resolved. If there's no issues with the rest of the set up Id say replace the shock with the same as before and the same bushes too. Its not impossible you over tightened them given that the whole thing relies suspending its not difficult to cock it up. You mileage tells me they have lasted a fair while and with the sea air to combat also, id say again that the fault isn't your fitment. Just renew it bud
Post #375169 30th Nov 2014 9:59am
munch90

England 
I have often thought about replacing the standard rubber with the poly bush style but wondered about the extra stiffness being transferred to something else , and putting extra flex load on a rod/arm/mount etc

I know there must have been thousands of polyurethane bushes fitted ,so don't know really if it could be a problem or not
Post #375170 30th Nov 2014 10:03am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I fitted the same red 'performance' polybushes some time ago. Sounds to me that when the shocks were fitted the nut may well have been overtorqued. I very nearly made a mistake with the lower shock absorber securing nut thinking the upper and lower had the same torque settings. If not as stated it may have been a flaw in the shock itself. It will become clearer when you remove it. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #375172 30th Nov 2014 10:06am
Ellisboy

Removed the shocker earlier today,top nut was easy as I'd copper greased it
K9F, yes I possibly could have over tightened it when fitting. Looked in my book and it was 2005 when rear shocks were fitted.Still compresses ok ,but as you can see in the pic it's quite rusty at the bottom

Click image to enlarge
Post #375230 30th Nov 2014 3:39pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Rust would have a long way to go before causing a failure such as that. If memory serves me correctly on a Puma the top is secured at 85NM and the lower at 29NM I think. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #375235 30th Nov 2014 4:12pm
munch90

England 
sometimes you can get rust really eat away in side rubber collars , ive seen front drive shafts rust enough to break under the rubber dunut looking things on front wheel drive cars when the rest of the shaft has just very very light surface rust
Post #375236 30th Nov 2014 4:21pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I've recently put a set of Koni shocks in my 90. They seem to be ok so far, though I had to tighten them up all the way (i.e. until the nut bottomed out) to get them to stop knocking. Maybe the rubbers were too thin out of the box, I'm not sure. But for the cost of them I wasn't very impressed by that.

Fronts are still knocking slightly as I've not had a chance to do up the bottom nuts a bit more yet.
Post #375239 30th Nov 2014 4:45pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I had Koni Heavi Tracks under my Camel Discovery. I loved them.

On my 90 I still use what I have lying around, I first have to finish the rest before I finalize the suspension.

You have to tighten the nut till the bottom ring lands on the thicker part of the shaft. It was nice and snug on mine. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #375269 30th Nov 2014 6:23pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
I have seen this before several times.
Firstly polybushes of any grade are not very good for land rovers. Yes the handling is transformed when the polybushes are fitted, its going to be, because you are replacing a squashy rubber bush along with its cushioning effect with a plastic bush that has no give whatsoever. Those loads that would have been absorbed by the rubber have to go somewhere.
What happens is any bolts securing the suspension components are subject to far more harsh loads so they wear themselves and the the holes they go into. Radius arms with poly bushes require tightening regularly until you get to a point where you have to replace the bolt and polybush. When you remove the bolt its holes are always worn oval. The same applies to the shockers, check the hole in the axle which the shocker goes through, I bet its worn far bigger than it should be.
Another factor is the shocks themselves, there are many better than what land rover fit but a lot of these shocks have a thinner threaded rod than standard LR ones, I dont know why this is but coupled with polybushes the shocker rod gets a ring worn in it were it goes through the axle making it thin enough to snap off !

Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #375358 30th Nov 2014 9:55pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The reason I was wondering was because one of the rear bushes on mine went like this when I first tightened it up to the specified torque and drove it for a while.

Click image to enlarge

Undone it and re-tightened, anyway I'm sure it'll be fine. Shocks seem to be good, though a little harsh perhaps. That may be because I've set them on too high a setting (2).
Post #375397 30th Nov 2014 11:12pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
In my experience the 'de carbon gas type' shock are crap and break just like yours have. Even when fitted correctly.

This is the typical scenario when overlanding.

Fit the De Carbon shocks
Load the truck up to go to overland
Put the standard shocks in with the overland spares
Drive around
Break a shock
Replace it with the standard one
Drive around
Break the other shock
Replace it with the standard one
No more shock issues
Post #375439 1st Dec 2014 8:48am
Post Reply  Back to top