↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma heavy clutch solved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Puma heavy clutch solved
Hi Guys, well following my original post earlier in the year pre Red Booster I eventually splashed out on the Red Booster servo for the Puma, having had it fitted some months ago I can now comment on its performance and operation.

Well guys if any of you have had any worries ever about having one of these fitted to your Puma you should not as its fab! I have now driven for months without the knees howling at me at every clutch operation, even a 5 year old kiddie could operate it, its the best money I have ever spent on any car I have ever owned, I would reccomend one of these to anybody who has weak or aching knees like mine, wondeful !!!

I have only found one problem, I have always had this habit of leaving my cars in gear with the handbrake off to save stretching the cables but with the red booster fitted its a problem, only a minor problem I would stress in that if you leave the vehicle in gear on a hill and the handbrake is suspect and it creeps you cannot without an almighty heave get the pedal down to disengage the box as there is no vacuum, that said it can be done, so make sure if you do have one fitted your handbrake is up to scratch and leave it out of gear where possible, however, if the handbrake is good there should not be any problems, but I struggled to get mine out and had to have the wife and the boy rock it back and fore to disengage it, lesson learnt guys. Other than that the Red Booster is great.

Hope this helps you guys

Ole Dave
Post #365437 18th Oct 2014 4:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
munch90

England 
I like the idea of the servo ( not got bad knees yet ,but it will come with defender ownership Rolling with laughter )

good point about the leaving in gear and not being able to push clutch with no vacuum assist

I thought that they also fitted a vacuum tank , does it not hold the vacuum long enough to allow a couple of pushes without engine running

maybe you have a small leak , only guessing as never even seen one
Post #365456 18th Oct 2014 6:19pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I fitted one of these kits today to my TD5 trayback.

I'd bought it off a guy on Facebook who has started to fit it and lost interest.

The instructions are not that good and took a fair amount of deciphering but the end result is truly amazing !

Watch this space, I'm thinking of offering them on our website
Post #365474 18th Oct 2014 7:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Please excuse my ignorance but without the servo assistance isn't the clutch standard stiffness? Confused 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #365475 18th Oct 2014 7:07pm
munch90

England 
I was wondering the same , like I said never seen one ,but be interested to know all about it and fitting etc
Post #365481 18th Oct 2014 7:19pm
OleDave

Red Booster
Hi Guys, I will try to answer all your questions in this. There is a vacuum tank which gives an additional reserve and the tank is fitted on the underside of the offside wind behind the air filter, initially I thought it was under the wheel arch liner as the instructions were not that clear but after talking to Rod Barry of Red Booster, who I will say is a fantastic help it all became clearer.

To be honest Rod advised me that he is trying to modify the instructions to make them clearer as and when questions arise, in saying that after careful study of what was available currently they do make sense when you have been involved in the prep of fitting one. I did not fit it myself but had the garage I use fit it for me, prior to delivering it to them I took some time to work out what was what, the way I looked at it was if I could not figure it out how to fit it could I expect them to do it. Possibly what Rod could do is offer a small exploded componant drawing which would better indicate what goes where, the pictures are good but do not explain it fully.

The vacuum does not deplete in an instant after turning off the engine but like all vacuum systems over a period especially if you operate the clutch with the engine off the vacuum fades and then there is not enough to operate the servo, after restarting the engine the vacuum very quickly returns. And in answer to the question should the clutch pressure be the same when there is no vacuum as it was pre servo fitting the answer is no its not, its like standing on a rock as your pushing against an empty vacuum cylinder, Rod Barry advised me that yes it can be depressed with no vacuum but that puts excessive weight on the linkage which you do not want, I have not tried that myself as yet as I have not needed too.

In conclusion the servo and the kit is exceptionally well engineered and made, its by no means a cheap piece of rubbish and does what it says on the box if fitted properly, for me it was well worth the money and much better value to my knees than fitting fancy grills or flash wheels which would have done nothing other than make it look good sitting on the drive.

Had it not been for this mod I would have had to seriously considered selling my darling, now I look forward to hearing that diesel spring into life every day and the clutch pedal quickly become as soft as a babies butt which puts that smile on my face each time I start it up Very Happy

Hope the above is of some help to you guys, if you want any further info please ask.

In conclusion I never ever like making reccomendations on anything as what suits me does not suit everybody, however, on this occasion I would reccomed this to anybody thinking of having one fitted especially if you suffer from knee, leg, or hip problems, it was a blessing for me.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #365587 19th Oct 2014 10:02am
pob1968

Hi Go beyond, any idea what cost it would be fitted? 110 Hardtop
Post #365596 19th Oct 2014 10:58am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
We estimate a garage would have no problem installing the kit in one day, however it is within the capabilities of the average 'home mechanic' to do it themselves Thumbs Up

More details here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32167.html

Last edited by Go Beyond on 20th Oct 2014 11:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #365601 19th Oct 2014 11:10am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Thumbs Up For a group buy....FCX
Post #365638 19th Oct 2014 1:52pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
These kits are so competitively priced already that it would have to be a VERY large Group buy Thumbs Up

More info here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32167.html
Post #365852 20th Oct 2014 11:42am
OleDave

Red Booster fitting service in South Wales
Hi all, just a quick one this time as there seems a lot of intrest in the Red Booster clutch servo modification to the Defender.

If anyone is interested having one of these fitted to your Defender and you live in and around the Bridgend/Cardiff/ Swansea/ Brecon area of South Wales or within a reasonable distance I can advise a Garage that can fit the kit for you in one day if you do not want the hassle of fitting it yourself, they did mine and did a wonderful job of doing it.

They are also experienced in repairs of all of the Land Rover range of vehicles and have all the diagnostic equipment required to solve niggling problems so they know their stuff.

Just drop me a quick message and I will give you their details.

Hope this helps

Old Dave
Post #365865 20th Oct 2014 12:39pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Question if I may.

A vacuum assisted servo clutch sounds like a great idea. But where does the vacuum come from? If the answer is manifold then I assume this depletes the brake vacuum assistance quicker. Ergo, drive up a mountain, where engine vacuum is at its lowest differential to atmospheric and thus at its least effective, drive down a hill the other side using the box constantly to save the brakes.... You can see where I'm going with this query!

I actually think its an outstanding idea and would love one, FCX put me on your interested list! But that above bugs me unless someone somewhere has done some system calculations!

If the answer is an electric vacuum pump, problem solved Smile
Post #365874 20th Oct 2014 1:13pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The original brake vacuum comes from a dedicated pump at the front of the engine that is belt driven.

This kit utilises that pump to fill a stand alone reservoir (supplied in the kit) that feeds both the brake and (new) clutch servo.

There certainly seems to be plenty of capacity to operate both servos, however I will ask the manufacturer for any available calculations Thumbs Up
Post #365876 20th Oct 2014 1:20pm
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Sorry for the stupid question.....

If you leave it in gear and you then cannot depress the clutch, couldn't you move the HIGH - LOW selector to netural? This would at least allow you to start the vehicle and then depress the clutch to disengage the gear.

Or am I being thick.
Post #365878 20th Oct 2014 1:31pm
OleDave

Hi Matt110, I have had the booster fitted to my defender now for months and have towed my caravan up and down all manner of places including hills during the summer, as yet I have never found any problem with the vacuum depleating enough to give any problems with braking or clutch operation.

Paddie42 that is a good question and one I cannot answer at the moment, if I do get to that situation again I will give it a shot, maybe somebody on here with the booster has tried it, I would be interested to hear also what the outcome was shifting the high/Low into neutral as I had not considered trying that, maybe I was thick?.

The additional vacuum tank is no small item and must be around 100mm square x 300mm long roughly, I would measure it but do not fancy taking out the air filter sorry to get at it. It seems more than adequate for purpose, if Go Beyond can get some calcs I would be interested myself also.

Ole Dave
Post #365891 20th Oct 2014 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>