↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.2 gear change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Gus

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
Exactly the 90 is 1/4 ton lighter than the 110 and my SWB feels like it would pull quite happily at 1500+ rpm but it seems the rev hang feature is set up to assist in swapping cogs once the road speed equates to 2000 rpm in the next gear up.
Post #372382 18th Nov 2014 7:20am
Gus

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
Quick update,

I think I finally have it sussed. To avoid the dreaded rev-hang related transmission clunk thing it's less about what revs you're doing when you change down, it's actually more important to be at the correct road speed so that the next gear comes in at ~2,000 rpm:

In gears 1st to 3rd you need to change down at roughly ~3,000 rpm to 'comply' with the rev hang feature and ensure that the next gear comes in at ~ 2,000 rpm.

However, 4th to 5th is different as I've found changing down once the revs hit ~2,500 in 4th equates to 5th coming in at the pre-requisite ~2,000 rpm. I can only assume that the jump in gear ratios between 4th - 5th is shorter than the lower gears.

The jump in gear ratios between 5th and 6th must be bigger again because you need to be back up at ~3,000 rpm in 5th for 6th to come in at 2,000 rpm.

I've found that if I'm working against the Censored rev hang i.e. letting the clutch out where the road speed demands an engine speed significantly lower or higher than 2,000 rpm it ALWAYS results in some complaint from the drive train UNLESS I let out the clutch pedal so slow that the rev hang gives up and allows the engine revs to drop.

Basically the rev-hang thing is pish as it effectively forces you to drive in a particular style which is going to be alien to most Defender/Series enthusiasts. My guess is the feature is there to protect the drive train from unnecessary strain but if you fight it then ultimately it's going to cause the same damage it's there to prevent.

At least now I have a work-around I am once again at peace with my transmission, so hopefully this will be of use to other equally baffled first time 2.2 Puma owners.

No apologies to those who think I'm teaching them to suck eggs, would you like some chilli mayo to go with that? Very Happy
Post #372927 20th Nov 2014 3:35am
Vmesch

Belgium 
I also had some issues changing gears at the beginning but found out that for a standard road drive -no hurry or aggressive driving- the Def 90 2013 version shifts quite smoothly when keeping the revs between 1500 and 2200 rpm.
I've written down the speed at 1500 revs for the different gears and put these in chart.
2nd. 20 kph (12.5 mph)
3rd. 30kph (18.6 mph)
4th. 42kph (26 mph)
5th. 55kph (34 mph)
6th. 72kph (44.7 mph)

Pushing the revs up to approx. 2100 rpm and shifting up while letting the revs drop to 1500 rpm by releasing the gas pedal, will gently bring me to the next gear - straight on the revs/speed line of that gear! No clonk to be heard...

Theoreticaly, this should be the same if you rev up to 3000 and let the revs fall down to approx. 2000 revs when gearing up. But I haven't tried this yet... So not sure if the revs fall down the at the same speed. But this could be compensated with a faster or slower gear change. I'll try this later on.

Only question: what about the consumption??? Hard to say as the Def has no instant consumption reading....

Click image to enlarge
Post #380349 19th Dec 2014 9:23pm
AintreeCSW15

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Hi everybody,

I'm another Defender 2.2 owner with occasional frustrations of kangarooing .. But I think it's my right foot that's why I'm asking nicely how any body has adjusted the throttle to take the free play out of the first 5-10mm of pedal travel. I think my problem at slow speed is my right foot doesn't always apply enough to ensure a smooth change Smile

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Post #422100 8th May 2015 9:23pm
AintreeCSW15

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Hi everybody,

I'm another Defender 2.2 owner with occasional frustrations of kangarooing .. But I think it's my right foot that's why I'm asking nicely how any body has adjusted the throttle to take the free play out of the first 5-10mm of pedal travel. I think my problem at slow speed is my right foot doesn't always apply enough to ensure a smooth change Smile

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Post #422102 8th May 2015 9:24pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I've given up trying to figure out how anything on a Defendeer works and after two years with a 2.2 I'm glad to say I have somehow devloped a method of changing gear without noticing the rev hang, and usually without ccrunching, as long as I remember to shove the clutch pedal through the floor which is required since they gave me a new clutch as the previous one was starting to rattle a bit, seems that's another undocumented feature. Guess you just have to be patient! Rolling with laughter 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #422108 8th May 2015 9:37pm
nitram17

Pickles wrote:
You guys are changing a lot later than we do.
We have a 90, and there's only the two of us in it so no load, except when we're going away, when there's bags & stuff in the back.
But, we're normally into 6th at around 60/65.."K"PH on a flat road. In the suburbs, where we have a 6o kph limit, if the road's clear & flat, we'd probably be in 6th, but if we're in traffic, then we'd be in 5th.
Going through the gears from stop, We normally change up at around 2500rpm.
Pickles.

Are you moving from 4th to 6th pickles..............37.5 mph in 6th ..........mine struggles with 4th at anything below 30mph so changing to 6th at such a low speed feels wrong!Is the air thinner in aus and also i thought defender owners disliked this new fangled kph system over mph Laughing I am new to 2.2 Pumas but it does feel like your driving with the handbrake on brakes on sometimes!I do sometimes get the clonk in second but the rest are fine!
Post #422110 8th May 2015 9:45pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The first part of the throttle torque request maps does not give as much power as the higher end does,, each gear is also differently scale

giving to much to soon can give a feeling like a grayhound on/off and so in some case makes the drivability worse, from my experience each driver and each car are slightly different and resetting adaptive valies for the engine with diagnostic tools can sometimes help.

regards Pete
Post #422116 8th May 2015 10:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
nitram17 wrote:
Pickles wrote:
You guys are changing a lot later than we do.
We have a 90, and there's only the two of us in it so no load, except when we're going away, when there's bags & stuff in the back.
But, we're normally into 6th at around 60/65.."K"PH on a flat road. In the suburbs, where we have a 6o kph limit, if the road's clear & flat, we'd probably be in 6th, but if we're in traffic, then we'd be in 5th.
Going through the gears from stop, We normally change up at around 2500rpm.
Pickles.

Are you moving from 4th to 6th pickles..............37.5 mph in 6th ..........mine struggles with 4th at anything below 30mph so changing to 6th at such a low speed feels wrong!Is the air thinner in aus and also i thought defender owners disliked this new fangled kph system over mph Laughing I am new to 2.2 Pumas but it does feel like your driving with the handbrake on brakes on sometimes!I do sometimes get the clonk in second but the rest are fine!

We're DEFINITELY ok in 4th below 30MPH (60kph). I feel that the secret is to use a light throttle. Like I said, Gracie's fine at 30MPH (60Ks)in 6th, & if you want to increase speed, then just a light throttle & away she goes,...in traffic it's a little different,...5th gives a bit more "flexibility".
One thing I haven't mastered is avoiding "backlash/clunking" from the driveline when changing up in gears. Tried different methods in different gears, sometimes I think I've got it right, & the the next time I haven't,...can't seem to match the engine RPM with the gear that I'm changing into,....if that makes any sense.
Pickles.
Post #422125 8th May 2015 11:13pm
nitram17

I am worried i have a purchased a duffa pickles..............just to be precise 60kph is 37,5 mph and mine would be just about ok if you were dropping down speed to 60kph but i would never change to 6th at that speed if i was going up the gears.

at 30 mph or 48kph mine will run in 4th but feels like you should be in 3rd.............as i say it does feel like your driving with the brakes on and it does take some getting used to!
Post #422131 8th May 2015 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234