↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > td5 egr removal benefits if any
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
david mitchell

Ireland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
td5 egr removal benefits if any
I've read so much on "egr removal /blanking kits " that I'm more confused than ever! Confused should I do this to my 11 year old defender? Can someone list the benefits and negative points please Bow down
Post #335152 2nd Jun 2014 12:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landroverdiver

Scotland 
Yes, read all the blurb myself and was wondering the same thing. The BAS remap I did on my Puma included EGR closure, but I have not done it on its own.

Does BAS remap for TD5 also do EGR closure?

I was thinking of EGR removal for my TD5, but there is another thread on here detailing someone's struggle with sheared bolt and consequences of this, that makes me aware that I do not have the know how or equipment to tackle it myself!

Interested to see feedback on this

mike
Post #335157 2nd Jun 2014 4:01am
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
I did it to my 2001 Tomb Raider and it is worth it.

I feel the acceleration is much smoother and a little quicker. Plus it might be psychological - but I'm convinced that the fuel economy has gone up a bit too
Post #335158 2nd Jun 2014 6:02am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
I've never noticed any improvement in power or MPG, the only thing I care about and the reason for removal is to stop dirty crud that should be going out the pipe at the back heading back into the engine, so reliability is improved long term.
Post #335165 2nd Jun 2014 7:44am
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
You won't get any significant gains in power if that's what your after, it will just help the engine to breathe clean rather that recirculated air, sometimes if an EGR valve is not sealing properly then it can cause problems so removing it all together makes it one less thing to worry about. I did mine in conjunction with a larger intercooler, if you do this then it'd be worth removing the EGR and you'd see power gains too. I also removed all the pipe work and servo's, it makes a neater job, keep everything in a box somewhere safe though so you can put everything back if needed. I think it's better in the long term for your engine without the EGR, I've heard that the tiny deposits that can be recirculated can cause bore and ring wear, as mine is still a low mileage Td5 (less than 25k) I didn't hesitate.
It just seems to run smoother and better without it.
That's just my two penneth
Post #335166 2nd Jun 2014 8:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I removed the EGR from my Td5 Disco 2 and immediately wished I had done it much sooner - it greatly reduced the "turbo lag" I thought it had been suffering from, which evidently wasn't turbo lag but rather the negative effect of a blooming great obstruction in the inlet duct. I would recommend it to anyone, as long as it remains legal.

It is definitely worth (on the Td5) removing the wretched thing, rather than disabling it. Simply disabling may make a noticeable difference, and will be better for the engine, but the major performance-affecting feature on the Td5 is the very restrictrive venturi unit in the inlet duct just before the manifold. Removing this completely makes a significant difference.

It did seem to improve fuel economy but not by any significant amount.

As Lambley suggests, if you're going to remove it, it is neater to remove everything (including the EGR cooler), and it is probably sensible to keep the whole lot just in case the Eurocrats decide to make it illegal to remove.

It will definitely be better for the engine to remove it. EGR systems are not good for engines.
Post #335172 2nd Jun 2014 9:00am
david mitchell

Ireland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Thanks for feedback, I'm convinced now. I will order one from alive as they have good feedback on this site
Post #335193 2nd Jun 2014 10:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ozzy57

2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
Even after all the aggravation of fitting mine (see other topic), the engine feels smoother than before. I removed the pipework but left the cooler in place, my thinking is it's an added bit of engine cooling, and that can't hurt.

And one of my favourite sayings is "you don't breathe in your own farts do you?" It wasn't me!
Post #335220 2nd Jun 2014 12:35pm
grumpy old git

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
I removed the EGR from my Td5 Disco 2 and immediately wished I had done it much sooner - it greatly reduced the "turbo lag" I thought it had been suffering from, which evidently wasn't turbo lag but rather the negative effect of a blooming great obstruction in the inlet duct. I would recommend it to anyone, as long as it remains legal.

It is definitely worth (on the Td5) removing the wretched thing, rather than disabling it. Simply disabling may make a noticeable difference, and will be better for the engine, but the major performance-affecting feature on the Td5 is the very restrictrive venturi unit in the inlet duct just before the manifold. Removing this completely makes a significant difference.

It did seem to improve fuel economy but not by any significant amount.

As Lambley suggests, if you're going to remove it, it is neater to remove everything (including the EGR cooler), and it is probably sensible to keep the whole lot just in case the Eurocrats decide to make it illegal to remove.

It will definitely be better for the engine to remove it. EGR systems are not good for engines.

I removed the one on my D2 Td5 anf it seems to run a lot cleaner. Had the MoT today and the emissions were 0.58 against maxes of 3.0 and 1.5, not bad for a 15 year old with 213000 on the clock!
Post #335307 2nd Jun 2014 8:36pm
Guzzio

Quote:

Hey guys. I'm from Belgium, so excuse me if my writting is a bit poor. I used the search function, but can't figure out what you really mean by: but the major performance-affecting feature on the Td5 is the very restrictrive venturi unit in the inlet duct just before the manifold. Removing this completely makes a significant difference.
Can you give some more info about that?

Thanks. Wink
Post #339111 19th Jun 2014 6:19am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
All you need to know about EGR Deletion can be found on Dgardel's post page 2 of this thread.....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2227.html?highlight=deletion If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #339113 19th Jun 2014 6:31am
Guzzio

Read all the pages, but can't find any info about:
Quote:
the very restrictrive venturi unit in the inlet duct just before the manifold

Anyone more info? Maybe some pics so i can situate the restriction? Sad
Post #339121 19th Jun 2014 7:51am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
ozzy57 wrote:
And one of my favourite sayings is "you don't breathe in your own farts do you?"

Ermmm, quite partial to the own brand tbh Wink JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #339130 19th Jun 2014 8:17am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Guzzio,

In the link below is a installation instruction with pictures. This is from a upto 2002 model, the later models (Euro3) are even more restrictive.

http://www.alivetuning.com/alive-boutique/...ss-kit.pdf

I deactivated mine but didn't remove it yet as I have more important things to do first. Shocked Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #339135 19th Jun 2014 8:33am
aus10RRW

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I removed the complete assembly/cooler and found a big difference in the acceleration of my partners 2000 TD5. Only problem I had was the bolt that secures the cooler flange to the exhaust manifold sheared when I removed it so I'd advise a bit of heat to the manifold before you try and remove the bolts. I ended up replacing the entire exhaust manifold!
Post #340331 23rd Jun 2014 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>