↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Help and Advice please. Cooling problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Help and Advice please. Cooling problem.
2010 MY Puma 90, 52000miles. About 4 months ago the thermostat failed and was replaced. All well for 3 months then happened again. Indi admitted they had fitted a Blue box replacement so fitted a genuine part this time at no cost and apologised.
However, temperature on Scanguage now goes upto over a 100c and eventually the dash temp goes up and limp mode.
If I drive at 50mph in 6th temp starts rising, change down to 5th, same speed but more revs temp goes down to 90c then gradually creeps up, change to 4th, same speed but revs now 3000 and temp goes down to 82c and then gradually rises, change to 6th and temp goes down to 90c and so on.
When the temp is falling internal heater is blowing hot, but when temp is rising it is blowing cold.
I'm thinking 1. Airlock 2. Viscous fan not spinning at correct speed, just idling or inertial drag but not engaging full drag.
All coolant pipes pressurised when engine running.
Engine running well, no leaks apparent except when really hot, limp mode when pressure cap does what it's supposed to do and releases pressure plus some fluid.
Has anyone got any advise please, I'm desperate to sort this problem, and thanks for any helpful advise. LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #362345 5th Oct 2014 4:49pm
munch90

England 
first thing I would say is air in system , BUT IT COULD BE STEAM INSIDE , air or steam will stop it circuiting propley (sorry about spelling )

air could be drawn in through a dodgy pump or headgasket blowing

steam could be just as simple as a dodgy cap , if the cap is weak and not holding pressure and allowing water to rise in bottle there could be steam deveploping in the block getting to pump and stopping it pushing water round (water pump wont pump air or steam ) that will cause temperature rise and no heat from heater , being the cap lets out a bit of water this is a possible cause
the system has to be sealed to allow the temperature the engine runs at under load , slowing down allows air or steam to clear from pump and get up to the bottle , most caps are about 15psi , the only way to get water above 100c is to have a sealed vessel or engine in this case you say cap is doing what its supposed to do BUT is it doing it at the right pressure

trouble is revs , temperature , load can all have a funny effect on running temperature , sometime you think when it would be getting hot like towing it isn't , then drive gently and you think it wont be getting as hot and it is ! would guess its down to pump efficeny and air flow through rad like just because your going faster doesn't mean more air through rad caused by tuberlance in front or something

as for testing
I would replace cap first and try it ( its the cheapest ) and there as been talk of dodgy caps on the forum (mine used to use a very small amount of water get to a level and stay there I replaced cap seems fine now
if its over pressureising , pipes/hoses should be rock hard (they will be hot , you have been warned) possible headgasket dodgy pump
if its just getting too hot , dodgy pump , thermostat , blocked rad , blocked hose , blocked air flow

as for viscous fan if your doing 60mph light load flat road your fan doesn't need to be locked up and working , I think there only really lock and blow more when heavy load towing , going flat out up hill etc , sitting in traffic jam . rad should be enough with normal air flow and load to cope ok in our climate

people nearly always say it got hot and blew water out but it can blow water out then get hot , 2 very different causes
Post #362357 5th Oct 2014 5:49pm
WelshGas

Thanks munch90. So it is unlikely to be the viscous fan. Airflow through radiator fine, never been off roading in mud etc, just farmers tracks and camping fields.
If there was a head gasket leak would this just be one way, ie gas out only into coolant?
Did 200 miles on Friday, temp upto but not over 100c on Scanguage, but that was leaving at 5am and with heavy traffic.
Today, same trip in reverse, warmer and no traffic congestion and this time temp did go up, limp mode and pressure cap did vent.
Cap holds pressure, but as you say it may not be correct pressure!
Back to Indy tomorrow. LANDYWATCH

Post #362372 5th Oct 2014 6:45pm
munch90

England 
just get a cap from motorfactors or even Halfords and try it , you maybe lucky , fingers crossed etc

I know what you mean , you would think water should go into cylinder and lose water , but not always the case
Post #362376 5th Oct 2014 6:53pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Could it be the water pump impeller slipping? I have heard of them spinning on the shaft. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #362538 6th Oct 2014 9:14am
munch90

England 
impeller problems common on vw and bmw , cant think of the ford engine doing it , but possible

one ford engine that had a problem bit like it was the front wheel drive transit but that was the spline driving the pump
Post #362543 6th Oct 2014 9:50am
WelshGas

Well today, behaved properly. Temp went upto 91c on a hill, after 8 miles of country B road then promptly dropped back to 85c.
On way home, much warmer stayed between 85c and 90c, except after accelerating up a hill in 2nd and 3rd when the Scanguage momentarily jumped to 102c then promptly dropped to 85c.
Heater working all the time, but cools when idling at lights.
No change in water level.
I'm erring towards an airlock following the thermostat change, the airlock having been disapated in my trials and tribulations on the M6 and M4 yesterday.
Fingers crossed. LANDYWATCH

Post #362711 6th Oct 2014 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1