↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > PCSO on an ego trip?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
PCSO on an ego trip?
Well, didn't think much of this at the time I was in a rush, but sort of goes like this...

I was pulling into the petrol station when my phone started to ring, so I answered it as I came to a stop in a parking space. Finished my phone call, reversed out of the space and went to fill up. Went in to pay, noticed a PCSO sitting in the Subway attached to the petrol station, came out, got back in the car and belted up, about to set off and the PCSO walked over and stood infront of the car and told me to pull into a parking space as he wanted a 'word'.

So I pulled up, and he said how his pet hate is people talking on the phone whilst they were driving and that I could have killed somebody. Obviously, I've heard of loads of people killed by cars stopping in parking spaces. So he goes on about how I'm going to get three points blah blah blah.

I very rarely use my phone at all whilst driving, and if I do I'll pull over if I can or put it on loud speaker. When I answered it I was pretty much fully in a parking space and had to be doing less than 3mph as there was a brick wall infront of me!

Then he asked to see my driving license. I have my first and middle name on my driving license, and this confused him as he didn't know which was my first name. It took almost five minutes to explain to him what my first name was. Finally understood that and then he did a load of checks to make sure I was who I said I was.

And then he asked if the car was mine. "Errr.... not exactly". A further 20 minutes went by as I explained its a courtesy car. He went around and checked all the tyres and looked underneath for a while (no idea why he needed to look underneath, could it be he didn't know what he was doing... Hmmmm...) Then asked if I was insured.
"Yes"
"Who with?"
"I'm not sure. It's Hillendales car, they'll have sorted all that out"
"Who's Hillendale?"
"The garage I've got this one from. Mines in for some work and I've got this to use whilst its there"
Went silent whilst he tried to work out what I just said...
"Who do Hillendale use for car insurance?"
"I'm not sure, you'll have to speak to them"
"And where is your car?"...
And the stupid questions went on. I was liturally 5 minutes from Hillendale at the time, so I assumed he'd know where I was talking about, what with him supposedly knowing the area...

He wanted to see the insurance documents for the Defender in the end, which as I pointed out wouldn't make any difference as I didn't have that car and wouldn't prove that I had insurance on the Freelander. I showed him the courtesy car agreement I got and he inspected it for a minute, then agreed I was insured.

Then he said that he didn't want to bother getting a traffic car to come along and give me three points and a fine, but he was going to put a 'mark' on the vehicle instead so if I was to get caught again in that car I'd be fined and possibly arrested. Even though it's not my own car and it'll be going back soon!

I know the law is the law and that, but surely thats a bit over the top for answering the phone as I was almost stopped in a parking space on private land. Or is it not?
Post #30896 27th Apr 2010 8:58pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I do have respect for the police, although I think they could be a bit more strict at times.

However, I was always of the understanding that PCSOs don't even have the power of arrest. Bit of a gobby shout, but I wonder what he would have done if you'd just walked away from him?

Our local PCSO is about 60 and is geared up like Tackleberry of Police Academy, he's even got those glasses with reactive lenses that don't change back to clear when you fo inside....decent bloke though, at least he shows a presence but I have an deep mistrust of people who wear those sort of glasses, especially if there combined with rigger boots and a bush hat Laughing
Post #30904 27th Apr 2010 9:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I once got stopped on the motorway in a fully race prepared Caterham. Apparently I was doing 56 in a restricted 50 section of roadworks.

The officer, towering above me, put on his most condescending voice and sneered that he "wouldn't want to be in an accident in one of these" and that I was therefore risking my life by driving anywhere.

I glanced over my shoulder, and merely pointed out that I was protected by a full roll cage and stiffened racing chassis. He, however, was driving a Rover Metro - a car that had recently ceased production because of its appalling crash safety record. I was probably a lot better off than he was.

I could have perhaps handled it better Embarassed One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #30920 27th Apr 2010 10:54pm
NoDo$h

England 
I have three words for PCSOs, regardless of what they are trying to tell me. The second is "off" and the third is "noddy". You can guess the first. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #30922 27th Apr 2010 11:28pm
ken

United Kingdom 
I'm with NoDosh sorry if you want to be a Rozza do it properly dont prentend all they do is undermine the BiB's but funny they walk away from me Rolling with laughter
Post #30931 28th Apr 2010 7:28am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ken wrote:
I'm with NoDosh

Me too! "Wannabee's" if they had applied themselves a little more at school they could have become a productive member of society other than someone who is on par to a chicken plucker or mushroom picker.
Rant off!

Apologies to other site members that may be/or associated with the aforementioned categories! But you know I'm right!

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #30933 28th Apr 2010 7:43am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
just call em Hobbie Bobbies and see how red in the face you can make them Rolling with laughter Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #30938 28th Apr 2010 8:33am
NoDo$h

England 
plastic plod Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #30940 28th Apr 2010 9:00am
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
Panto police. Whistle Formerly mao99999
16 Focus RS Nitrous Blue.
11 FFRR TDV8 Vouge SE Black Black.
08 DEFENDER SVX SOFT TOP (SUPERB)
08 DEFENDER 110 DCPU Stornoway grey (Overland Exploration Unit)
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
04 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Supercharged V8
02 DEFENDER 90 TD5 (next years soft top project)
95 DEFENDER 110 CSW 300 TDi Phoenix black
95 DEFENDER 90 HT Monti Carlo blue COUNTY 300 TDi
67 109" SERIES 2a TUNED 200 TDI
64 DAVID BROWN 990 rat look
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #30944 28th Apr 2010 9:44am
warren

K9F wrote:

Me too! "Wannabee's" if they had applied themselves a little more at school they could have become a productive member of society other than someone who is on par to a chicken plucker or mushroom picker.
Rant off!

Haha, that didn't half make me laugh!

I guess I could have told him that HE could have killed someone, as in the 30-odd minutes he spent with me someone else could be being stabbed round the corner...

Talking to someone at work today about it, and he said that in the winter he had a run in with one... Tried to do him for dangerous driving because his wheels span on some ice setting off from a junction. Rolling Eyes
Post #30967 28th Apr 2010 4:36pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
CHIMPS

Completely
Hopeless
In
Most
Policing
Situations

To be fair to them, some are very hard working and do a lot of great work. Others however..... Big Cry My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #30987 28th Apr 2010 10:14pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Authority & I have an understanding

I dont like it & it dont like me Whistle with this in mind we get on fine
Post #31003 29th Apr 2010 6:52am
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
They have no right to question you about anything about your car. They have no traffic training.
Post #31980 11th May 2010 6:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
warren

nicks wrote:
They have no right to question you about anything about your car. They have no traffic training.

Never knew that! Although I think that even if there was something wrong with the car he wouldn't have realised. Got the idea he didn't know what he was doing when he got down on all fours and just stared underneath.

Looked like a complete cockend.
Post #32018 12th May 2010 12:28am
ken

United Kingdom 
Warren

Stop Generalising Rolling with laughter
Post #32024 12th May 2010 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>