↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > From the Bottom to the Top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Raddy

Guernsey 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Rimini Red
From the Bottom to the Top
We're heading over to you lot on the mainland from Guernsey at the start of next month, Weymouth up to north east Scotland then back down to Somerset and Devon for the second week. Visiting family and generally taking in some of the surroundings/things to do on the way Thumbs Up

Planning the route/stop offs now, going to make a couple hundred miles the first night then stop off and keep going early the next morning.

The question is, being that it takes 45 minutes tops to drive AROUND the whole of Guernsey, therefore me not being used to long drives (Poole to Lincoln being about as far as i have done in one sitting), is the proposed 9hr20min drive from the stop over to the destination in Scotland possible in a day, starting at 6am for example with a break for lunch and probably a lot of coffee stops?

Also, any must see/must do things up in the Scottish neck of the woods? I know whats what in the south but its the girlfriends family in Scotland and i'vee never been further north than Manchester way.
Post #355791 5th Sep 2014 12:41am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
No problem - we've driven from Munich to Provence in around that time and as long as you're comfortable in your seat (I use supports) you'll be fine Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #355793 5th Sep 2014 12:49am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Raddy

You'll find the 9hours and 20minutes will be more like 12-14 hours with the average speed cameras, tailbacks and breaks, it recently took us over 10 hours to get from Reigate to our house half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The must see items depend on where you're going in Scotland you are heading and the time you have available, but the Kelpies and the Falkirk wheel are worth a look and they're only around 4 miles apart.

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/things-to-do/the-kelpies/

http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk

http://www.visitscotland.com

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #355794 5th Sep 2014 12:56am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I've driven a few times from Scotland to Reading/Bracknell areas from Edinburgh area, and the ~400 miles usually takes me around 7 hours. That's travelling within the speed limit, and with a couple of short coffee/comfort breaks.

2 friends/neighbours from Down South (one from London, one from Milton Keynes) have holiday cottages in Aviemore - they both drive thru the night (with faster cars like 3 litre 5-series BMW's). because they know the roads, and know where speed cameras are, they manage amazing times to Aviemore!!!

Your ~9 hours sounds OK (dependant on time of day) to the central belt of Scotland, so long as you minimize stops and keep going, however with traffic at rush hours, you could easily push this up as mentioned above from my Lanarkshire colleague.

A couple of years back we did Edinburgh to the Eden Project, it was 10 hours driving time. We had sea kayaks on the roof, so were effectively limited to speed limits anyway (even tho we were in a 2.4 litre xc70.

As you mention Manchester...it's after Manchester (on the M6) where the scenery starts to improve through the Lake District (and the traffic thins-out till you get Near Glasgow). Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #355805 5th Sep 2014 7:27am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Not sure how far up you are going but we did Knaresborough North Yorkshire to Forfar, north of Dundee in 7h 45 a few weeks ago. Us to Weymouth would be at least 4.5 hours, so not sure where you get 9.5 hours for the whole journey.

You could do it in a day with plenty of breaks but ask yourself if that is wise and safe .... And how it might be looked on by the Police if you had an accident.

I'd say do yourself a massive favour and stay overnight somewhere .... Like North Yorkshire .... Lovely around here, some great pubs, scenery and friendly folk! Smile Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #355817 5th Sep 2014 8:06am
Raddy

Guernsey 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Rimini Red
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

The 9.5 hours was what the route read as on the tom-tom, but obviously dependent on traffic, roadworks etc. Speed cameras aren't too too much of an issue with the black and shiny silver plates though, not that I'm going to ever be comfortably sitting much above the limit (have to wait and see what next weeks remap brings i suppose Rolling with laughter !)

Think I'm going to book a cheap hotel either very northern in England or just over the border, with an early start and on a Saturday morning hopefully we'll make good progress and dependant on how the journeys going should be able to cancel the room if it's before one I make a decision.

Must admit, without sounding old before my time, I'm looking forward to having a mooch around the cairngorms/lochs etc and maybe the lake district on the way up!
Post #355954 5th Sep 2014 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1