↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Overheating issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kevinf

United Kingdom 
Overheating issue
Just got back from a 4 week tour of northern Spain doing a fair bit of offroad driving and the car loaded with camping gear etc, and experienced on a couple occasion's the engine overheating but only whilst the engine was under heavy load pulling the vehicle up those long steep hills on the motorways in the mountain regions,but never whilst offroading no matter how hard I worked the engine, I'm almost certain my problems down to the radiator cooling fins being blocked with dried mud
My question is why did the temp gauge read about 1/3 on the scale then just flick straight over to maximum
Am I looking at a temp gauge fault as well as blocked radiator?

Cheers kevin
Post #352615 19th Aug 2014 10:13pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
That is basicly what it does. From blue to half way it's a temp gauge, then above half it shoots to red and alters ECU to protect engine.

Andy
Post #352619 19th Aug 2014 10:33pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I still have a fair portion of my radiator clogged with mud and when towing a trailer not so long ago up and around some of those hills you find in Wales I had my Nanocom monitering the basics. Normal running temp was around 84 to 88'C and on some of the long pulls the temp reading was touching 110'C but the dash guage never moved. I know that if it gets over 115'c I get the limp mode cut in and it's only as the limp mode cuts in does the needle move at the same time so you don't get any warning as such.
Post #352634 20th Aug 2014 12:06am
kevinf

United Kingdom 
yes that basically what was happening, i got to the point that i could sense it was going to happen and by easing off the throttle pedal and keep the gauge in the normal area,just out of interest what does your gauge normally run at i think mine running a bit cool,but have only just noticed this has i have never had any cooling issues with it before

cheers kevin
Post #352664 20th Aug 2014 10:17am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
The needle would just about touch the 12 o'clock position but now after I did a bit of a grill re-style it points at an 11:30 position, don't ask me why, the readings from the Nanocom are pretty much the same. All that I can think of is that the temp gauge takes a signal from a different place than the Nanocom via the ECU but why it should do that I don't know.
Post #352670 20th Aug 2014 10:33am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I experienced the same thing a few times while stuck in Quick sand or whatever you call that. Sand with to much water in it, if you are the first driving over it you are probably lucky but the second or the third will get stuck deeply.
While still having movement I was trying to get out but needed al the power my td5 could give me and after a while suddenly the temperature is in the red and clearly less power.
The first time I tought I had missed the raising in temperature but the second time I saw it jumping from about 12 0'clock to fully in the red. And it also jumps back to normal while letting it idle for a short while. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #352691 20th Aug 2014 11:54am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Temp gauges, especially more recent ones since the 200Tdi, are deliberately made none linear. The reason for this is that the gauge is there only to show one of three states - cold, normal, hot. The further you stray in temperature from the normal zone the larger the movement away from the centre per degree. As a result, the gauge will read normal across a fairly narrow temperature band (88-92 on a TD5) and as soon as it goes over that by a few degrees it will move to full scale (hot).

It's done to ensure that the driver is alerted as soon as the temperature deviates from the normal as a slight movement is likely to go unnoticed. On a TD5 the gauge is driven by a signal from the ECU rather than having it's own sender unit. The ECU reads the temperature sender it uses for it's own use and drives the temp gage accordingly. That's why the temp gauge works in reverse if you ever use an ECU configured for a Discovery.

I run one of the Madman gauges on mine (as supplied by 4x4 Overlander), it replaces the temperature gauge with a multi-function unit that, among other things, shows a true temperature readout in C or F, a more sensible approach IMV for anyone who is happy to make their own interpretation of the temperature. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #352696 20th Aug 2014 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1