Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2010MY 110 Fuel Tank Breather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
2010MY 110 Fuel Tank Breather
Hi,

I have used this forum for an info source for ages, it has been very useful. Can anyone of you help on this one?

Filled my new pride a joy with fuel to the brim for the first time and have just had LR assist over to try and rectify a diesel leak from the atmospheric tank breather tube. The 6mm breather tube on my LR is located on the off side, very close to the fuel filler neck. It had not been secured and was hanging below the max fill level of the tank and therefore leaked. LR assist guy has pushed it into a hole in the tie bar that runs across between the rear chassis members. This is just above the height of the tank. It has stopped leaking but for my peace of mind does anyone have a 2010 110 that they could check where the atmospheric breather is supposed to be secured and let me know.

Cheers

Paul
[/b] Paul

Pondering a New 90 Commercial
2020 Evoque
* 2014 110 SW JE Stage 2.
*2010 110 Utility. JE Stage 2.
*2007 110 SW
*2003 90 JE Stage 2.
*2000 90 SW

If its not leaking it ain't full.
Post #28365 29th Mar 2010 2:47pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Just for interest sake - I added another clear hose over the end of my breather and extended it into the rear of the cab and coiled the hose a few times and cable tied in position - never had any fumes or water in the fuel again despite the warning people gave me at the time.
Post #28408 30th Mar 2010 6:43am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
the breather should be routed behind the o/s tail light cover in the wheel arch 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #28422 30th Mar 2010 9:33am
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Many thanks for the responses. My breather pipe is way to short to route to the OS tail lamp cover.
I suspect it may have come loose and snapped short. I was hoping to avoid an early trip back to the stealer.
Post #28431 30th Mar 2010 10:40am
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I haven't checked my breather. Is it a home fix if it's not been adjusted by my stealers?

It's currently in for service and some warranty work before the 3 years run out in May. I'm reluctant to mention the breather if I can do it myself (unless they've already done it). They only need the slightest reason to keep the car sitting in their yard for a week while they drink tea and think about actually working on the car Rolling Eyes

In fact it was in for 3 days last week while they replaced the brake vacuum pump. When I went to collect it they said they were just cleaning it for me. I poked my head round their yard and watched as it took 3 men 40 minutes to wash and chamois the outside, jet wash the rubber mats and wipe the windows inside. Rolling Eyes
Post #28436 30th Mar 2010 11:55am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
110SEB wrote:
I haven't checked my breather. Is it a home fix if it's not been adjusted by my stealers?

It's currently in for service and some warranty work before the 3 years run out in May. I'm reluctant to mention the breather if I can do it myself (unless they've already done it). They only need the slightest reason to keep the car sitting in their yard for a week while they drink tea and think about actually working on the car Rolling Eyes

In fact it was in for 3 days last week while they replaced the brake vacuum pump. When I went to collect it they said they were just cleaning it for me. I poked my head round their yard and watched as it took 3 men 40 minutes to wash and chamois the outside, jet wash the rubber mats and wipe the windows inside. Rolling Eyes

definate home fix - just look under the rear left wheel arch and if you see a small type filter and goosneck hose they have not relocated it. The older vehicles have it there but after 2008 some time I think it was already re-routed somewhere else.

My vacuume pump was changed on route from Botswana to Cape Town by the dealer in Windhoek, Namibia in 2 hours flat including washing all the oil under the bonnet.
Post #28438 30th Mar 2010 12:02pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
They changed the location in 2009 to not be around the OS light or wheel arch position Mike
Post #28583 31st Mar 2010 12:07pm
shingwell

United Kingdom 
They changed my 07 130 breather to be the same place as yours - on top of the tank. On a 130 the tube is too short to reach the end of the tub behind the lights (which are different to a 90/110 anyway) - I guess extending the tube was beyond them! I haven't had any more problems with it in this position. I regularly fill it up until the pump clicks off, although I don't attempt to go any further than that.
Post #28720 1st Apr 2010 10:59am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
CapeLandy wrote:
definate home fix - just look under the rear left wheel arch and if you see a small type filter and goosneck hose they have not relocated it.

CapeLandy, do you have a pic for us?
Post #28723 1st Apr 2010 11:01am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Since we are replacing the fuel tank on our 09 Puma and adding a wing tank at the same time we are considering extending the breather pipe all the way up to the top of the snorkel. Will be extending all the other breathers there as well.

Can anyone see a problem with this idea?

Brendan
Post #29362 9th Apr 2010 6:48pm
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
leeds wrote:
Since we are replacing the fuel tank on our 09 Puma and adding a wing tank at the same time we are considering extending the breather pipe all the way up to the top of the snorkel. Will be extending all the other breathers there as well.

Can anyone see a problem with this idea?

Brendan

No done it already including other breathers, diffs, gearbox etc
Post #29369 9th Apr 2010 8:17pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
No issues at all. Excellent plan. You only have to decide how to route them.

One word of caution - some people have been tempted to route/terminate them in the intake. There have also been suspected cases where the escaping oil/fuel vapour has caused problems for the engine.

If, however, you route the breathers up the snorkel and terminate them outside of the airflow (e.g. behind the intake) then you should have no problems whatsoever.

Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29395 9th Apr 2010 11:34pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
You can get a union box eg all breathers to one to run up to wherever, usually the snorkel.

Personally im not a fan of running it to the top of the snorkel - my view, run it to the hieghest point in the engine bay...if your any higher for a long period than just driving through you will have bigger problems than the breathers!

Dont run them in the snorkel though - i have seen people have the suck of the air intake, sucking fluids through the breathers. Mike
Post #29424 10th Apr 2010 10:34am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Yep we are seriously planning the work in progress. The pile of boxes is growing Shocked Rolling Eyes
We have prepped vehicles over long time periods before. Borrowing a 4 post lift and a friend for a few days Laughing
Means we can 'hit' the vehicle and do a lot of work in a planned fashioned. However means the wallet gets a major hit! Big Cry When we replace the fuel tank we will waxoyl that area which is difficult to get to under normal circumstances. Decided to go for stainless tank cost £30 more with a double bottom as can not fit a standard tank guard with larger tank. Will be taking lots of photos Exclamation

Bought a roll of nylon tubing and a range of fittings for the breathers. One thing have noticed is that many of the so called wading kits include plastic elbows for the axles etc. Have found metal ones which have 'o' ring seals. Price difference? Slightly more. Quality difference????

Next question any problem with joining the fuel breather into the axle breathers etc?

Brendan
Post #29425 10th Apr 2010 10:49am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
leeds wrote:

Next question any problem with joining the fuel breather into the axle breathers etc?

Brendan

I don't really feel qualified to give you advice about preparing a Landy Whistle
However, in answer to your specific question: The only 'theoretical' danger would be drawing fuel into the axel or visa vera. If you plunged into a pond, you'd draw air in through the breather - I supposed it could draw fuel up the line but I'd be amazed. I think you'd be fine.

Where did you get your metal elbows from? One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29554 12th Apr 2010 5:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>