↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Problems wiring my blue sea relay / dual odyssey 1500 batts.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Riyo

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
nice job Go!, that looks much more accessible with the earth in a handy spot to disconnect first when taking batteries out.

I was hesitant to go much further than having the middle bit of the dash and the cubby out and found routing difficult as im not very familiar with defenders having only owned one for 2months but it does appear putting the fusebox with other fuseboxes is the logical / and pragmatic way of doing it.
Post #350134 7th Aug 2014 2:59pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
I didnt bother with bus bars in my install for the same reason, they didnt appear to be rated highly enough. Best I found were 300a ones, yet my wiring and winch cables were higher. To spec everything "just so" is pretty impossible tbh, there are always compromises.

Did you terminate the big cables yourself? I bought a few ready made up from VWP but also ended up buying the proper tools to do it myself for some runs I couldnt easily measure up.
Post #350135 7th Aug 2014 3:03pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I think you've done a great job !

I must admit that took me about 3 months in total with EVERYTHING run in conduit from front to back and side to side Rolling Eyes

When I get a moment I'll update the pictures as there are a lot more cables in there now
Post #350136 7th Aug 2014 3:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Agreed on fusebox location. I eventually put mine here, along with isolators within easy reach for winch and all accessories. The cables come out of the back of the battery box and up through the ali panel straight above within heavy duty convuluted tubing and rubber grommets on every hole.

Click image to enlarge
Post #350137 7th Aug 2014 3:06pm
Riyo

Mike,
I bought this crimper
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...o/tn76.jpg

its spec'd for 6-50mm2 but managed on 70mm2 terminals OK, not perfectly hexagonal but certainly secure.
Post #350138 7th Aug 2014 3:08pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Yep, bought the same one. I think I have more kit than my local auto electrician!

I did ring a local auto electrician before I started this epic and he didnt have anything to crimp this size stuff either! chancers Mr. Green
Post #350139 7th Aug 2014 3:11pm
Riyo

i know right!

the amount of accumulated terminals / cable / crimps etc is unbelievable lol

at least when it come time to do the boat or something else il have the kit.

I also bought a rivnut tool and learned all about this fabulous invention putting holes in the battery box..it is so useful! Smile got tons of bits for that and rivnuts of varying sizes / bolts of various sizes left over too.
Post #350141 7th Aug 2014 3:17pm
Riyo

is it ok to seal off all the holes in the battery box..i know these batteries are sealed but i think i read somewhere they should not be kept in a sealed compartment?
Post #350143 7th Aug 2014 3:28pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
yeah ive got the rivnut tool as well. useful bit of kit!

Ive sealed my battery box; however its still a land rover!
Post #350153 7th Aug 2014 4:05pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
If anyone around south Yorkshire needs battery terminals crimping then I have a hydraulic one that does a fairly neat job of hex crimps on battery terminals. Happy to crimp terminals for people.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #350159 7th Aug 2014 4:31pm
Riyo

really weird but my car alarm just started going off yesterday afternoon for no apparent reason.

I just put my fridge on inside the car 2 days ago and everything was fine, i was driving the car for a few hrs on Saturday until around 10pm..then yesterday (SUnday) afternoon) around 4pm the alarm went off once..i went outside and unlocked/locked with the plip and it was quiet again..i assumed maybe a door wasnt closed properly so reclosed all doors.

Then last night about 2am the alarm went off, what a sound ..im sure my neighbours are getting a witch hunt organised. i unlocked with the plip and just left it like that as i live in the country(ish) so i could deal with it in the morning. Another 30mins and it went off again- i tried the same thing again and then came onto the forums for a read of what causes it. 20mins later again its blaring - this time i followed advice from here that if you just lock with the key the immobiliser will be active but the alarm disarmed.

Just woke up 5mins ago and im pretty sure it was the alarm that woke me up..either that or i dreamed about it going off..i honestly am not sure lol

Any suggestions?...im thinking of going into the fusebox and pulling the alarm fuse but the cause i have no idea - my default position is something i did when installing the fridge must be causing it but im going to investigate.
Post #352267 18th Aug 2014 11:04am
munch90

England 
first thing to check is voltage on the batterys , is it horn sounding or bbus sounding ? is the fridge running all the time ?
Post #352270 18th Aug 2014 11:11am
Riyo

ok just confirmed by the wife she opened the car while i was sleeping with the fob and locked with the fob this morning so she must have re-armed the alarm...so i think im safe for now just using the key.

still the cause of it going off i am uncertain.

I looked in the manual for which fuses are for the alarm and under secondary fuses there are 4 that are labelled alarm. i havent physically checked yet but really..4 fuses for the alarm?
Post #352271 18th Aug 2014 11:23am
Riyo

hi munch

i think it is both, the horn is continuous and there another sound there that i think is the BBUS.

The fridge is set to 1degC and is still on- but it is running off the second battery which 'should' be isolated from the starter battery.

Il go and voltmeter the battteries in a sec.

*edit- when i say fridge is on i mean it is still on but the compressor isnt running continuously or anything like that, the check light is not on and i have it set to Low for automatic shutdown.
Post #352272 18th Aug 2014 11:26am
Riyo

12.63V on starter batt, 12.55V on leisure batt. Sounds ok to you?
Post #352273 18th Aug 2014 11:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>