↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Weekend Inspiration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Weekend Inspiration
The last weekend in July(25,26,27) sees Mrs barbel away with the girls. This leaves me holding the fort, and with sole responsibility for our 8 year old daughter Shocked This duly means that I will NOT be able to work Shocked Shocked

Rather than watching the weekend drift by , I want to do something fun, and a bit different. London was a shout, with visits to science/natural history museum, but the absent boss wants to be involved in that Rolling Eyes It also happens to be the first week of the school summer holidays, and rules out my first thought....... Cornwall camping and surfing as it will probably be rammed Rolling Eyes

I am sticking with the camping idea but need to find somewhere to go and something to do !!! As a guide 2-3 hours travel, small campsite with some facilities (Showers) I am more a hotel guest, but spudley will love the tent idea Rolling Eyes which I will also need to buy !!! Attractions something like The National coal mining museum at Overton or Castles , a wilderness weekend, visit to the lakes ?

Open to all suggestions and recommendations.
Post #341398 28th Jun 2014 12:25pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
As you are in Northants, I suppose it would have to be the Billing LR show! Whistle 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #341399 28th Jun 2014 12:31pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I said 2-3 hour drive, Not 2-3 minutes Whistle Rolling with laughter
Post #341400 28th Jun 2014 12:34pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
How about http://www.stwater.co.uk/leisure-and-learn...ton-water/ it'll feel like a mini adventure...Wink

Its a great place with lots of things to do. Take bikes and you can ride around the reservoir (its fairly flat..!)
http://www.carsingtonwater.com/

There are camping sites nearby (just google) and you're in the Derbyshire countryside, but near enough to amenities (in Ashbourne) if you need them.

Have a great weekend.

cheers

simon
Post #341403 28th Jun 2014 1:00pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
The National coal mining museum is well worth a vist - and all free of course! The underground tour is very good. Its also the same place we use for the 'Leaters at t'Pit' show which this year is on at August Bank Holiday! Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #341800 30th Jun 2014 12:58pm
Hudwinker

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Tamar Blue
if you can make it to South Lakes in 3 hours(?), i would try and stay at Park Cliffe, very clean with showers and a pub on site! they even rent out statics and pods so you would not have to buy the tent. Link below:

http://www.parkcliffe.co.uk

There are loads of sites but we have always found the above to be the best. Tim the site manager also loves Defenders and is always happy to help.

The Lakeland Motor Museum is at Newby Bridge, great for Dads and kids and also there is Sea Life Centre and steam railway all within 2 miles. Bowness is very touristy but my girls love it and you can go on a boat trip on Windermere.
Post #341934 30th Jun 2014 9:56pm
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
couplands wrote:
Its a great place with lots of things to do. Take bikes and you can ride around the reservoir (its fairly flat..!) http://www.carsingtonwater.com/

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Thumbs Up Adventure isn't paved!
Post #342106 1st Jul 2014 8:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1