Home > Td5 > Fuel Pump relay constant clicking ( buzzing) on startup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GreigP

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 2.5 TD CSW Oslo Blue
Fuel Pump relay constant clicking ( buzzing) on startup
Hi Guys,

I was feeling quite happy with myself at the weekend as I'd just installed my bluesea ML-ACR to complete the twin battery setup.... thinking I was the bees knees as that click kicked in aftet 30 secs and joined the batteries....

Anyhooo... I went to try it again later.....just coz, and I noticed that the fuel pump wasn't priming, and obviously it wouldn't start........yeah not so cool now... Whistle

Anyway, it was intermittent most of sunday, sometimes it would prime , start then cut out after 3-4 secs...or cut out afer running for 3-4 mins, sometimes it would just do nothing, but I was also getting the relay buzzing frantically... so its not always the exact same behaviour..

So far I have tried

-swapping relays
-cleaning earth from ECU to floorpan
-checking / wiggling the inertia switch..

Not sure if its coincidence or probably user error on my part somewhere.. Embarassed

I'm guessing its not actually the fuel pump or the relays, but before that somewhere.....maybe an earthing issue somewhere, but as always, any ideas / pointers would be greatly appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #340091 23rd Jun 2014 2:23pm
GreigP

Hi Guys,

been playing about today and I have run a test earth from one of the ECU mounting bolts to my battery and this seems to fix it... as when I remove it the problem is back again..

So I guess I know how to fix it but I am not sure I understand what has gone wrong... ie all of a sudden I have an earthing issue, or it's maybe something I stuffed up with my twin battery config.. Question

Anyway It looks as if that's the fix for me ( in case anyone else comes across this)

happy for any thoughts Very Happy

cheers,
Greig.
Post #340146 23rd Jun 2014 5:34pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
The vagaries of the Td5 are more fickle than any woman in your worst nightmare. Mine often throws a wobbler and has me completely stumped, then it will just disappear into a distant bad dream. It may have been the result of a bit of pulling or tugging somewhere when you were adding bits.
Post #340183 23rd Jun 2014 6:50pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Where have you taken the negative feed for your Blue Sea? Ideally it should be off the battery. I gather the problem wasn't there before the dual/Blue Sea installation. As the issue is a known earth one it shouldn't be too difficult to nail down.
You have a high resistance earth somewhere and by 'jury rigging' a new one you are providing an easier less resistive path. Disconnect the batteries and check/clean your major earths starting with the one off your battery.

Good luck. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #340192 23rd Jun 2014 7:03pm
GreigP

hey cheers for the replies..... Thumbs Up

yeah the -ve feed for the bluesea comes direct from the secondary battery via the pre-wired 1mm cable (and a corresponding 1mm brown to the +ve) (i say 1mm but it could be 2....anyway... very thin and protected by 2amp fuse.

yeah the problem "wasn't " there before.... Embarassed So I figured it was too much like coincidence .... but good thinking, I'll check/clean the other earths to see If I can get it working without the "blue peter" addition... Laughing

thanks again guys
G
Post #340314 23rd Jun 2014 10:23pm
munch90

England 
is it a earth problem because of the twin battery set up , did you change any earth cornections ?
Post #340324 23rd Jun 2014 10:36pm
GreigP

The twin battery setup is pretty much as per the LRO configuration document ( also in in the haynes tuning book) so I have not changed the original earth.. from the starter battery to the chassis etc... I have only run a connection from the starter -ve to the secondary -ve

The live feeds are connected via the bluesea ACR...which kicks in after 30 secs of charge and joins the batteries......and disconnects when not being charged.

My secondary battery feeds into a bluesea fusebox and earths back to it. ( this will feed power further shiny gadets on the raptor dash)

I did check all the earths for continuity with my multimeter... and they seemed ok ( but not sure if this proves much)

but as K9F says, its defo an earthing fault and it wasn't there before, so its probably worth checking what I've done. The batteries are shiny new odessey pc1500's so not sure "they'd " need much cleaning , and most of the cables / connectors a new too......but I'll check existing connections just in case moving / bending has upset something..

if / when I get a result I'll post up for completeness... Very Happy

cheers,
Greig.
Post #340352 23rd Jun 2014 11:14pm
munch90

England 
deleted

Last edited by munch90 on 23rd Jun 2014 11:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #340360 23rd Jun 2014 11:32pm
GreigP

I should have added...when I ran an earth from the ECU to any good earth point ...ie bulkhead or my battery holder it also worked......so not "just" back to the main battery -ve...

This made me think the earths on the batteries were good and that it was the ECU earth side that was playing up...

anyway..I'll check tomorrow Smile
Post #340361 23rd Jun 2014 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1