Home > Puma (Tdci) > Replacing standard Radio / CD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tony2

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Replacing standard Radio / CD
The first of many questions I think Very Happy

Having placed my order for a 110 CSW XS, the first thing I will do when I get my hands on it is to upgrade the music box and speakers.
I will be fitting an Alpine head unit which controls the old ipod touch (no CD mechanism) and also has blue tooth for the phone.

Is it a straight old out new in job, or will I require harness / aerial adapters etc Question

Thanks in advance.........TC. Thumbs Up Its easy to smile and be happy when the world rolls along like a song.
But a mans got style if he can smile when his Land rovers going wrong.
Post #28921 3rd Apr 2010 4:40pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Depends on the head-unit. As you've gone for an Alpine I imagine it should be simple. I bought an iDA-X305 and it was simply a case of taking the old one out (that wasn't simple, I'd swear it was glued in) and simply plug the new one into the existing connectors. Easy-peasy. Very Happy Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #28923 3rd Apr 2010 4:52pm
tony2

Thank you Mr Flips, Bow down

I am fitting the same head unit X305 so thats good news. Very Happy
Cheers.........TC. Its easy to smile and be happy when the world rolls along like a song.
Post #28924 3rd Apr 2010 5:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
yep, you shouldn't have any trouble mine is a Kenwood with ISO connections and was plug and play no adapter needed (i thought would be) also the aerial has an adapter already on it of which you can eather have the ISO (plug type i think*) or DIN which is sort of a round one like i said not sure 100% but i'm sure you'll have no trouble. just beware it's a b***h to get out i tried every thing and chose to get a Universal DIN radio keys slotted straight out then. good luck m8 Thumbs Up
Post #28927 3rd Apr 2010 5:26pm
discocuzzy

England 
Hi Tony, This may help, also do a search under stereo upgrades Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2716.html

Dont bother with a parrot or indeed any remote blue tooth set up....had my alpine unit upgraded with the bluetooth module and its totally crap...the vehicle is to noisy and picks up everything....no one can here you!! Big Cry Big Cry

Im going for one of these, Ken has one and they are bloody brill and only £50.00 ish Thumbs Up

http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/na-us/Hea...BT530.aspx You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #28944 3rd Apr 2010 7:58pm
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think I must have been lucky with my replacement unit as the bluetooth included seems very good and no problems people hearing me - or any problems that I've heard Laughing

I fitted one of these:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-23720.htm

I was a bit worried about quality as there are very few web reviews but it seems Zenec make the audio units for Volkswagon and Audi - and for the price I've been really pleased with it.

It was a simple swap but getting all the optional cables behind the dash was a challenge but it does leave me with loads of other things I can add such as reversing camera, rear video, TV etc etc Thumbs Up, it also comes with a two year warranty Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #28967 4th Apr 2010 9:19am
dgardel

Italy 
I put a Becker Navi !!!! like this bought on ebay ( like this )

Plug and play (+ the GPS antenna, the speed signal and the reverse signal form the dashboard Whistle ) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #28990 4th Apr 2010 2:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jammyk

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I went down the route of the pioneer that a couple of members have posted:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/landing/products/edm/MVH-tuners.html

the only issues i found is that the lead for the iPod connections is far from discrete, in as much as it comes out of the front of the unit, not from the rear as you would expect. pretty much makes a mockery of having integrated iPod control as you can still see the feckin' iPod as the lead is too short to hide it in the cubby box. maybe it’s just a personal thing. you can also make the screen and illumination shades of green to match the rest of the dash.

On the plus side, unit connects without adapter, the facia looks very OEM and not aftermarket like some (most) units can do, and the screen is VERY clear from all angles.

The integrated parrot blue-tooth works well, especially as you can adjust the volume of the 'other end of the line' i.e. make the mike more sensitive. The mike lives on the headlining half way across the top of the driver’s door - a self test (calling my home answer machine) proved the voice quality @ 70mph was fine and perfectly audible.

The best addition i made however was adding a self-powered sub under the 70% split of the rear seat. Keeps the sub out of harms way for water and muddy feet, and as its mounted to the underside of the seat means that i can still fold the seat up without impinging on the load area. Here’s the link to the sub, i can post pictures of the setup if anyone likes? The sub feed is taken from the front speaker output and you adjust the ‘crossover’ frequency according to your own ears – i have mine about half way up the range to ensure that the tinny sounds from the poor OEM speakers is covered by the sub.
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/thb200a-speaker

As for the internal noise as mentioned, the Noise Killer kit for the defender is absolutely spot on. My better half commented on how much noise was reduced when I was moving off the drive with then engine cold! The cruise noise at 70-80mph is equivalent if not less than a series 2 disco.

That’s it from me...more pictures can be posted if you really need  ignorance is bliss...
Post #29345 9th Apr 2010 2:45pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Why didn't you all just buy a D3 that has blueteeth n a boogie box type stereo thing with a barker in the back. How can you hear your phone when the drivers windows open anyway.

Ditch the gadgets go, "gadget naked" and feel the freedom

Mr. Green Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper

Last edited by willy eckerslike on 9th Apr 2010 3:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #29347 9th Apr 2010 3:06pm
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Lol - not sure anyone would want to see me drivin starkers down the M25 Rolling with laughter Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #29348 9th Apr 2010 3:09pm
tony2

A D3 aint a Defender, thats why Cool
I'm just changing from a RRS to a Defender.
Some very usefull info, thanks all Thumbs Up Its easy to smile and be happy when the world rolls along like a song.
Post #29349 9th Apr 2010 3:38pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
jammyk - so it's your Defender that I pass every time I go to see my folks Very Happy

Very nice - my son points it out every time Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29393 9th Apr 2010 11:30pm
jammyk

Pass every time? i am normally on my GS1200 during the week, the 110 with the 'pimped' black windows (security reasons) is normally knocking around brackley at the weekends.

Good to see your lad is a fan of real landy's, had a RR Sports boat for a few weeks - wife hates it, loves the Defender. I am also not allowed a D3 or D4 due to the fact its too much like an 'estate' car Rolling Eyes

HFH is the last bit of my reg if you want to wave Cool ignorance is bliss...
Post #29568 12th Apr 2010 9:48am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
jammyk wrote:
As for the internal noise as mentioned, the Noise Killer kit for the defender is absolutely spot on.

Jammy, a link to the Noise Killer kit please? Thumbs Up
Post #29571 12th Apr 2010 9:56am
jammyk

Here you go: http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/landrover_soundproofing_products.asp

no online ordering as yet but they are very friendly and take your order over the phone without issue. The fitting instructions are simple to follow, just make sure you take care removing any of the carpet locating 'studs' i managed to get mine out and back in again wihthout any issues. ignorance is bliss...
Post #29578 12th Apr 2010 11:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>