↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > BAS remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The two front radiator lugs do need to come off because the cooler goes so low down. This is normal and not a quirk of the cooler.

The rear cooler pegs though are a tight for do fit in the radiator locating holes as they are jogged when made but as said are a tight fit and fiddled to locate the uk drivers side in sometimes. Like above sometimes I slightly enlarge the rad plastic hole a fraction to allow ease of fit.

As you will have seen with this new cooler the plastic cowling fits back in the exact same please as it should even with this new 60mm AC and non AC cooler core where most make the water radiator tilt back about 15-20mm making the fan cowl catch on the top water hose Sad

All in all I think this new cooler is far better than any of its predecessors.

Regards Pete.
Post #346834 21st Jul 2014 9:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
mine ran ok on 64 bit Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #346897 22nd Jul 2014 8:11am
skidrov

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
newhue wrote:
Also like to add, the service is 100/100 and I'm on the other side of the world.

....likewise on other side of the planet, and I agree - if anything the service rating quoted above is too low. Very Happy

I used the Android flasher, and it worked well. It was great to then have the Torque OBD2 app (also on my android phone) then report back to me that the EGR was always 0% open! Cool Very cool.
Post #347670 26th Jul 2014 9:34am
landlocked

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I've just had a remap done by another firm on my 2.2tdci

When you idle along in 2nd then feed in some power, it chokes and hops along. Obviously it shouldn't do this and should move off smoothly. You can get around it with the lightest of throttle touches but you can still see the rev needle do a little dance.

Is this something other mapped defenders are seeing? or should i start looking for a smoother map?

Best Corris Grey 110 XS SW
Post #407586 14th Mar 2015 8:05pm
bell-auto-services

Hi

The 2.2 in 2nd gear and running allong on idle speed will do this jerks will happen even on a normal untouched defender as its not designed to be in 2nd and with no throttle.
Depending on who did the tuning they may be able to do something for you seperatly but you would need to speak to them.

Pete
Post #407608 14th Mar 2015 9:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
YOLO110

Australia 
Your comment does not sound right to me Pete Question

I have been in traffic many times with the car in 2nd gear, idling along with my foot off the throttle... nice and smooth with no issues at all.

Helped lots by the LR 'anti stall' feature as well. Application of throttle just gives a nice smooth pull away.

The ops mapping sounds wrong to me Sad YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #407645 15th Mar 2015 1:55am
rover

United Kingdom 
This great feature of the 2.2 where it can not idle in 2nd gear without being jerky or juddery is my biggest problem with the 2.2. Every car I have ever owned can do it but not the defender. The hiluxes and l200 at work do it brilliantly, the problem must be pretty serious if it can not be mapped out. 1 st gear is too low a lot of the time in traffic , you can't use 2nd because as pete says its not designed for it. I give in. What a poor engine it is in the defender.
Post #407652 15th Mar 2015 8:23am
rover

United Kingdom 
By the way I was hoping to find someone who can solve this problem on my standard 2.2. Where did you get it remapped so I know not to spend 500 quid with someone that can't solve the issue.
Post #407653 15th Mar 2015 8:27am
INVSBL

Australia 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
iv come from driving petrol engines, i can sit in traffic with my puma in second with out it jerking and rabbiting, only time i had that issue was when i went to accelerate in 3rd out of a roundabout that i should have been in second...

only issue that sucks with he standard tune is the lag you get on the throttle when you go to accelerate, its weird putting my foot down and nothing happening. Defender2 Page for my 90

Also own
06 Mazda 3 MPS
97 Nissan 180SX Type X
89 Nissan R31 Skyline
Post #407672 15th Mar 2015 9:59am
landlocked

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks for coming back to me guys

i've started a separate thread so i'm not clogging up pete's - http://www.defender2.net/forum/post407692.html#407692

Obviously pete knows his stuff so I take some of that knowledge on board, though the error doesn't feel right to me - i don't recall this happening pre map, and as this is where most working defenders (farming at least) will spend most of the time i cant understand land rover releasing a car with such an obvious defect.

Perhaps the map has emphasised a relatively unnoticeable niggle pre map, and made it a proper issue now.

anyway discussion in the new thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/post407692.html#407692 Corris Grey 110 XS SW
Post #407695 15th Mar 2015 11:19am
bell-auto-services

Torque request at idle speed or 0% throttle could be added to a remap to try and over come it but I feel it may have other effects we dont want. like when we need engine braking etc etc.

Tuinng the engine to do a certian thing at 0% throttle and certian rpms at idle for all applications and all uses will get be very hard to get full right for all sinarios.

Pete
Post #407728 15th Mar 2015 1:02pm
YOLO110

Australia 
INVSBL wrote:
iv come from driving petrol engines, i can sit in traffic with my puma in second with out it jerking and rabbiting, only time i had that issue was when i went to accelerate in 3rd out of a roundabout that i should have been in second...

only issue that sucks with he standard tune is the lag you get on the throttle when you go to accelerate, its weird putting my foot down and nothing happening.

I think it is important to understand how a turbo works here!

A small turbo rotor will accelerate rapidly at low rpm but will only provide a modest power/torque increase... a larger rotor will require higher exhaust gas velocities to spin it up to then provide greater power/torque. LR have decided, as is common with most other manufactures, that they will utilise a turbo that will provide the best compromise where they feel most of the vehicle's use will be made... in the case of the 2.2 Defender, circa 1,800 - 2,500 RPM (have a look at the torque curve maps).

SO... the 2.2 response is NOT instant when the exhaust gas velocity is minimal due to the relatively large diameter of the Puma turbo vanes. IF you wanted instant response when you 'put your foot down and nothing happens', then you either have 2 turbos, each 'tuned' for optimum response at different rpm, or use a turbo and a supercharger in tandem.

If we as drivers understand how the engine has been designed, (with costs also in mind), they will be able to drive around any 'issue' with engine characteristics in mind. If not, the vehicle is not the problem, it is just not right for the driver.

IMHO, the standard Puma 2.2 is perfectly acceptable... mine will idle along all day in 1st to 4th gear with no issues... of course if I stomp on the accelerator in the highest gears, not much is going to happen! But change down a gear and smoothly apply throttle, the turbo will spool up and give a nice smooth pull away.

I too would also like more power and torque... a good 're-map' will be able to give this but again with the understanding that the driver also has to understand the 'limits' of the new mapping and drive accordingly.

Bit of an epistle here! Off to get my coat now! Wink YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #407749 15th Mar 2015 2:23pm
INVSBL

Australia 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
lol i know what turbo lag is, this isn't turbo lag, the puma has a small amount of turbo lag, but this is a electronic delay, its honestly feels like a "safety" feature to stop you from having to much engine speed before the clutch is released if you are careless with how you drive.

regardless how much accelerator i use, there is a lag before fuel is actually sent to the motor. and it will do this regardless what revs you are at. makes heal toe down changes annoying. Defender2 Page for my 90

Also own
06 Mazda 3 MPS
97 Nissan 180SX Type X
89 Nissan R31 Skyline
Post #407757 15th Mar 2015 3:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123