Home > Td5 > It was going so well.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozzy57

2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
It was going so well.
.....until the last sodding bolt!
Jobs done, CB wired in, swr'd, all oils changed, de-EGR almost done. The last bolt, the one on the back of the exhaust manifold, decides to shear off. "Oh goody" says me, "manifold off it is then!".
This is at half past eight, and I need the car tomorrow. All goes well until the last nut on the head, which promptly sheared the stud. "Deep joy" methinks "I'll just have to drill that out too!".
Drill, check, star bit, check, off we go.
Star bit shears off in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ten minutes of kicking tools around in a foul temper later and I am now wondering what the **** I'm going to do now! It wasn't me!
Post #334907 31st May 2014 11:28pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
You just go carefull if you go for a pee Ozzy Laughing

Especially with "that last nut"
Post #334908 31st May 2014 11:42pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Get the mig welder out. Tack a washer the same ID of the OD of the stud to the stud. Tack a nut to the washer you've just tacked on, let it cool and wind it out. That's how I do them anyway.
Post #334955 1st Jun 2014 11:07am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
^^^^ and if you try to undo the bolt fairly quickly after welding them up, the heat from said weld quite often helps to loosen them.
Post #334999 1st Jun 2014 4:18pm
ozzy57

Fatboy Slim wrote:
Get the mig welder out. Tack a washer the same ID of the OD of the stud to the stud. Tack a nut to the washer you've just tacked on, let it cool and wind it out. That's how I do them anyway.

I had thought of that, however it's about 2mm below the surface of the head. It wasn't me!
Post #335022 1st Jun 2014 6:03pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Dodgy one without seeing it. The good news is the heads ally so the weld won't 'take' to it if you know what I mean so should still work. Snapped ezi-outs are a real pain in the bum, they're as hard as hell so trying to drill them out is going to be a bit of a nightmare. You'd need either some serious cobalt drills with a very slow speed and lots of pressure behind it, or, as has been done in the past, masonry drills sharpened to a metal cutting profile.

NB: You need a flipping good bench grinder stone to sharpen masonry bits and be prepared to snap a good few of them in the drilling process.

Other option is to remove the head and take it to a local engineering place that does spark erosion.

PS, give the broken stud a good whack with a hammer and flat faced punch before trying any removal methods: this alone can be enough to get them moving.

One way or the other you'll get it out, even if you have to drill the hole out to the next size very carefully, keeping an eye on the depth and helicoil it.
Post #335084 1st Jun 2014 8:33pm
ozzy57

It's all buttoned up back together at the moment, and it's not blowing, so I have a sneaking suspicion it may stay bolted together with nine studs for some time. It wasn't me!
Post #335089 1st Jun 2014 8:40pm
kevinf

United Kingdom 
Ran mine for about 18 months with one stud missing just got the occasional high pitch screeching noise,under really heavy acceleration,only bothered to sort it when I took the vehicle of the road for a week to do a gearbox swap,then another 2 studs sheared!
Post #335159 2nd Jun 2014 7:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1