↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Road Tax
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Nice tax the one that you have there.

Can you explain me a little bit the system? Is based in the miles road by the car or something else? is the only tax that you must paid to use it?

Here in Chile we must to paid annually an amount depending of the value of the vehicle independant of the km made (£486 for a 2008 Defender 110 SW) and the cost for the the technical check (£1Cool and thats all.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #28788 2nd Apr 2010 1:38am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
My 1984ish TD5 90 is road tax free Mr. Green . A normal TD5 you pay about 1650 euro a year in the Netherlands Big Cry
It's based on weight and fuel. I am not going to tell you what I pay for my D3. Whistle I know that some reasonable paid people in the Ukrain earn less then I pay on road tax. Question Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #28792 2nd Apr 2010 6:34am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
We pay licence fee (road Tax) of GBP 67 on our 110
Post #28793 2nd Apr 2010 6:55am
holmessato

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Eduardo wrote:
Nice tax the one that you have there.

Can you explain me a little bit the system? Is based in the miles road by the car or something else? is the only tax that you must paid to use it?

Here in Chile we must to paid annually an amount depending of the value of the vehicle independant of the km made (£486 for a 2008 Defender 110 SW) and the cost for the the technical check (£1Cool and thats all.

Cheers

UK system is to charge annual road tax based on the emissions of the vehicle, rather than value or distance driven per year. So, Defender's (CSW's, SW's etc) are currently in the highest group (£435 per year). This system only applied to cars built after 2001 though. Before then it’s a fixed rate for all cars (now £205). There is also a special rule for commercial vehicles (Defender Double cab's, Hard tops etc) which mean they pay a much lower rate (I think now £210, was £185 before April 1st). So, double cabs are becoming more popular! There is yet another special rule for cars built before 1973, Road tax is free! So my 1967 SWB 11A costs nothing (insurance is a bargain to!). Its a very complicated system and really needs a re-think.

There is also a bigger charge for road tax when you first buy a car to discourage buying high emissions cars. This is about £950 for a Defender I think.

There are also plans to start charging for miles driven as well, by fitting all vehicles with an electronic tag, similar to an auto-toll system. This system is just adding more madness.

We also have an MOT test, like your technical check. This is about £50 per year. Finally there is about 65% tax on fuel, so Diesel is currently about £1.20 per litre.

My opinion (everyone has different ideas) is that road tax should go completely and you just pay more for fuel. This would make fuel cost about £1.40 a litre, but at least it becomes a fair 'pay as you pollute' system, would make people think every time they go to the pump, and save a huge amount of money in administration and infrastructure.
Post #28814 2nd Apr 2010 9:44am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ignoring the price, the current road tax system isnt too bad - where i would change it is to include a 3rd party insurance element, thus ensuring everyone driving is covered by 3rd part insurance. However, this would not (in my little goverenment) be done by increasing road tax any more.

The Fuel Duty would be decreased to keep a year set price, so (painfully) if this year was £1.20 then that would be maintained either for 6 or 12 months - thus ensuring stability and in good times, Low Supply costs, extra tax income, in bad times less. My aim would be to get it back to no high than £1pl for the next 2 years

Highways Agency would go - creating a saving; on road and other taxes, Local Authorities would get some funding to maintain the roads at a regional level, Police Traffic Units would get some more and the rest would either be investment or savings

I would scrap the showroom tax - stupid idea...we dont live to pay tax

I would keep the scrappage scheme

I would also look at end to end life when calculating the emmissions values and factor MPG.

I would also do something about the encouraging green use without discouraging use

so ends my party political broadcast Rolling with laughter Mike
Post #28817 2nd Apr 2010 9:59am
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Thanks for all the explanations. Now I understand your system better.

By the way, here in Chile we also have a tax over the fuels: this taxes is used to stabilize the fuel cost and for other purposes. We paid more than the market price when the fuels is lower than certain limit and less when is upper than this limit.

Currently the price of 1 lt of Diesel is about £0.6 per litre. For sure lower than yours.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #28864 2nd Apr 2010 7:32pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
my truck cab is lgv which is 180 or 185 a year but i was checking my v5 and it says i have four seats how does that work ?
its been like it since first registarion as im the first owner 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #28882 2nd Apr 2010 11:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
I think Land Rover must register all SWBs as four seaters, my truck cab says exactly the same on the v5. Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #28884 2nd Apr 2010 11:58pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Can't help but think not only should the road tax and 3rd party insurance should be all inclusive in the fuel cost as this is a fair means of charging as you pollute but it would mostly catch the toe rags out that dont have insurance and road tax.
futhermore it would be an incentive to get people of their cars a little more (every little helps as they say).

and for those lucky enough to have more than one car (but obviously only drives one at a time why should they pay double?).

and yes those that use fuel for business are crying out no......how difficult would it be to give tax relief to them.

surely this makes fair more sense. the admin and infracstructure could be used to help out the police?

anyway isn't this all a load of cr*p?

why not buy an old land rover rather than buy road tax for a new defender - surely that would make a lot of sense if you know what I mean............

Whistle swap the chassis plate?

no officer it's my 1953 land rover but I've spent alot of time and money doing it up / modifying it?

has anyone does this - or should I say has this been done yet?
Post #28953 3rd Apr 2010 9:43pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
MrFlips wrote:
I think Land Rover must register all SWBs as four seaters, my truck cab says exactly the same on the v5.

iv sent away to have mine changed because im sure if yoy had an accident with it like it they would say why has the v5 which means dvla has got it down as 4 seats ? 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #28995 4th Apr 2010 3:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Pay as you pollute and adding road tax onto fuel is fine for city dwellers, but what about the people who live out in the countryside, we have no choice but to use our vehicles as there is no public transport. I don't see why we should subsidise the people who live in cities who have access to public transport. Some times we have to drive 50 plus miles to go to a department store or go to the cinema etc so why should we pay on mileage.

Bloody Townies Whistle Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #28996 4th Apr 2010 4:03pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
may be you should buy an electric gewiss automobile
Twisted Evil Mr. Green
Post #29053 5th Apr 2010 8:06pm
maggieforrest

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
Because mine is commercial rated it is taxed accordlingly at £190. It made my day when I taxed it.
Post #30622 23rd Apr 2010 10:15pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I am going to mix it up a bit now..... I have nothing to gain from sugesting this as I currently pay no tax and fuel for me is 45p a litre.

It hurts me to say this but France has he right idea......Toll roads on all motorways. This way people just driving localy don't get hit and more importantly all those foreigners comming across for their holidays, using our roads, poluting our air and using our services will also have to pay for it (costs me about £110 return to drive from North to South France)...and this will go for all the foreign truck drivers who don't have to pay road tax.

Yes it will make a lot of A roads busier but you know all the people who put it on the company bill won't be bothered.

Glyn Sheep
Post #30630 24th Apr 2010 9:36am
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Some really interesting comments made here.

I agree in scrapping road tax and adding it to fuel, the faster you drive, the bigger your engine or the more mileage you drive, the more you will contribute through higher fuel usage.

A national 3rd party insurance paid for by a fuel tax seems a greta idea, but I do not know in practice how well it would fair. This could be linked with the insurance companies only providing a top-up service of either fire and theft or fully-comp. A bit like servicing and MoTs, where the MoT is a legal requirement to ensure that at the time of testing the vehicle was 'structurally suitable' to be on the road (the 'third party' necessary bit), whilst the servicing is an owner discretion to ensure the vehicle is in prime condition and reliable (the 'fire and theft' or 'full-comp' luxury bit). If you drive you're covered so to speak, stops the idiot kids driving a clapped out Fiesta with no cover because they can't afford it. In some ways its no different to road tax or the MoT.

In addition, a port-tax on all non-UK vehicle entering the UK would mean that Johnny Foreigner filling his truck with 1000litres of diesel in the foreign port then coming to the UK to drive, starts having to contribute more fairly and a temporary 'MoT' certificate. If they are here for a day, week, month or year, they pay for an inspection certificate valid for a day, week, month or year. The length of duration is reflected in the level of scrutiny they receive from a bic brakes and tyres for a week to a full blown UK commercial vehicle type MoT for a year. It will cost money and possibly be inconvenient for a few but it will ensure that the trucks are safer, dodgy ones are sent home/impounded and the income would cover the costs involved. It would also discourage the more dodgy operators.

In addition, the holidayers would contribute to the upkeep and maintenance of our roads like we have to when we go there (through tolls), currently they only contribute to road degradation.

Both systems could be administered through a 'tax disc' or transponder fotted to the tested vehicle, making it easier for the Police/HA Traffic Officers to check/manage.

I guess though its easy to sit at home and 'see' obvious areas for improvement, but being in power and keeping the whole country happy is something different entirely Wink

Harvey
Post #30632 24th Apr 2010 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>