↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Provent fitting woo's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I ordered on a few weeks ago from Darkside and I quickly worked out they were copies. After some discussions with Darkside and providing some detail, they agreed with me and took the copy back and supplied a genuine M&H in exchange. They now sell them as copies and have found a good supplier of genuine!

Wasn't their fault as they were led to believe they were real.

I swaping out the alloy Allard one for the ProVent!
Post #390421 19th Jan 2015 11:12pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Found a good uk source for provent 200 more details later
Post #390986 21st Jan 2015 12:33pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good news! Well done! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #391027 21st Jan 2015 2:04pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Trying to find a genuine Provent 200 in the uk is a bit like finding the holy grail.
After searching the net i took a look on VAG VW AUDI forums they have some very nice provent installs,which led me to a uk trade supplier POWER UTILITIES GROUP ON 01922 720461 press option 1 filtration and and ask for Matt Nicholls , I asked him if he would sell me a provent 200 he was more than happy to help £75+vat+£16.50 carraige it worked out to around £109 cheaper than a fake from darkside for £117 and uk filters at£150 hope this helps cheers Chris
Post #391172 21st Jan 2015 9:06pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Got mine fitted today.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #391435 22nd Jan 2015 1:27pm
K9F

Landy, nice fit.... I notice you've shielded it but keep a watchful eye on the pipe on the heatshield especially if it's touching, it gets friggin' hot by the turbo! That's one reason I bought my filter forwards onto the aircon pipe. Tight fit in an XS, did you extend the unions as we discussed?

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #391444 22nd Jan 2015 1:35pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Thanks. Yep will keep an eye on it, but there is over an inch between heat shield and lower pipe, so think all should be ok.
Post #391455 22nd Jan 2015 2:03pm
fatman

Greece 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I want a provent since my disco 2 td5 days...now on puma i observe its a little "heavy breather" and engine has done only 45000 kms so i must fit some kind of oil separator tank cause a lot of dirty fumes return back in the intake system,shouldn't a generic oil catch tank for "fast and furious" cars do the job?
Post #391458 22nd Jan 2015 2:11pm
K9F

It will but the Provent has two built in safety mechanisms against over pressurisation/blockage. As with most things you get what you pay for. A Heinz Baked Bean can will suffice if engineered enough.

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #391463 22nd Jan 2015 2:33pm
oburrill

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hello, here is another trial fit. The vehicle is a 2013 2.2 tdci with no air con, no abs etc.
I got the provent 200 from filterserve as mentioned on here.
Initially I ran with it as shown on here with it mounted on the passenger side near on the wing/body bracket. I wasn't happy with the long pipe runs.
I made a bracket and mounted similar to K9F near the turbo, at least I think it was your setup. As the hose comes off at 90' on the 2.2 I ended up mounting it on the block, using three M8's that were already in the block.
I fitted M8 studs into these, and made a bracket.
Here are two photos of the provent 200 setup.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

My only problem here is that it is abit on the close side to the turbo heat shield, too close for my liking. I ran with a temperature probe on the block with the end being where the bottom of the provent would be, and during normal running is stayed around the 45'c make, normally being 45'c to 55'c. When the engine was stopped after a long run, it then rose to about 85'c, now that the engine driven fan was not running. The provent is rated to 120'c with 140'c intermittent.
The top of the provent is a touch higher than the top of the rocker cover and there is 1" or more space between it and the bonnet.
The top cover for the rocker cover is a 2nd hand one that I made a cut out to allow for the mounting bracket.

I'll post up next with the improved layout.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #554265 7th Aug 2016 4:47pm
oburrill

I decided to go a size down on the provent to the provent 150. This is still rated to twice the output of the standard 2.2 (90kW) at 200kW. It also has 3/4" connection on the output side. The only issue here is that the inlet is supposed to be included on the mounting bracket.

Here is a photo of the main provent 150 assembly.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Here is where it mounts on the block, as mentioned with three m8 studs in the block.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Here is with it all fitted. I'll probably get a couple of 45' bends to improve the outlet pipe routing, but it is fine for now. Also i'm getting some hose heat shield for the lower oil hose and maybe some more heat shielding for the provent.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #554268 7th Aug 2016 4:56pm
K9F

That is fitted almost exactly the same position as mine. Albeit mine is attached via a 'p' clip to the air-conditioning pipe and as a result sits lower. It is much better than on the passenger side as you mentioned the pipe runs are a damn sight shorter. Well done. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #554288 7th Aug 2016 6:56pm
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
That looks like a great job, well done.

I am having problems getting my head around the inlet side of the 150 model. Did you fabricate the mounting
bracket to include this or was it part of the complete 150 package?
Post #554482 8th Aug 2016 3:06pm
oburrill

Thanks for the comments.

R1200GS, the provent 150 doesn't have an inlet hose connection, instead it has a through hole incorporated into the mounting point on the back edge of the unit. There is a seal on here, and when it is bolted onto the mounting bracket, it should line up with the inlet point, and when bolted together will seal the inlet to the bracket.
I bought the provent on its own, so no brackets etc.
They probably use this for mounting direct to a rocker cover for example so there is no need for an inlet hose provided that they designed the rocker cover to line up with the provent 150.
Here we do need an inlet hose, so I incorporated this into the mounting bracket. The other models have both an inlet and outlet hose connection. The catalogue does actually say that they could do it with a hose connection for the inlet, but when I asked it would actually be a special build and only worth it if you were a car or engine manufacturer for example.

The provent 150 doesn't come with any brackets etc to mount it, although I think I've see some companies sell these are a kit, and therefore include the brackets etc. I saw one company in Australia with a kit using this provent 150 and a specific bracket to mount it into the ford ranger with the 3.2 l engine. They are apparently in the process of designing something for the land rover, but haven't finished it yet. Asgard Engineering I think it was.

Here, I made all the mounting bracket in two pieces, the plate that mounts to the block with the three holes for the m8 studs, and then the plate that the provent bolts to, which includes the inlet pipe.
When I made the bracket that the provent bolts to I wasn't happy with the amount of pressure required to squash the inlet seal as it sits proud of the rest of the mounting bracket, so I ended up milling 0.4mm off the part where the seal sits, plus I then have a better seal surface. I then welded on a 45' angle pipe onto the inlet after chopping it a bit so that it would be at the right position to line up with the rocker outlet.
Then the two brackets were welded together. As the block sit nose up, the bracket is angled to compensate for this so the provent is level (near enough for me) and is about the same height as the the heighest point on the acoustic cover.

Hope this makes sense. If you have any other questions then just ask.
Thanks again.
Post #554594 8th Aug 2016 10:07pm
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply, answers my question perfectly.

Love the job you have done there but the fabrication of such brackets would be beyond me, so the Provent 200
would provide an easier solution for me.

Thumbs Up
Post #554653 9th Aug 2016 8:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>