↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > warranty question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
warranty question
If the engine has had a remap, will it affect the warranty?
THere`s a defender Im looking at on a 2008 plate which has had a remap, and I would rather have the remainder of the warranty than the remap.
Post #27952 24th Mar 2010 10:18pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Yes and no it depends on the dealer but if you need say a gearbox / engine then i think they would say no NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #27953 24th Mar 2010 10:40pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: warranty question
alanhid wrote:
If the engine has had a remap, will it affect the warranty?

I was specifically warned by my dealership that a remap/chip would invalidate a warranty claim on a drivetrain/engine component failure.

They went as far as to tell me not to remove the middle silencer box because that constitutes 'modifying the engine' - what a load of crap! Evil or Very Mad
Post #27970 25th Mar 2010 8:48am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just an Idea!
If it has had a remap it is very unlikely that it has had the recent ECU software upgrades. If you like the vehicle and it is the right price get the dealer who is selling it or the current owner to ensure the latest software upgrades have been carried out and validated by a receipt for the vehicle. This is assuming it is not a Land Rover dealer who's selling it (otherwise you may be stuffed!).
The Land Rover dealership will be none the wiser and the ECU software will be 'rolled back' to standard ECU software with all upgrades.
There are many 'scare mongerers' that will discourage remaps and the pitfalls against warranty claims etc...What you need to ask is that as a dealership in the current climate is it good business practice to actively seek an excuse to turn away warranty work and risk negative publicity on websites and such-like?
It can also depend on your relationship with your local dealer? A software update on that vehicle would leave warranty intact and sorted! In the end it's down to you and how you go about it and how receptive the current owner is to binning the remap he paid £400-£500 having it fitted! If he wants a sale he'll do all the legwork himself!
Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #27971 25th Mar 2010 8:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1