↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Towing Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
discocuzzy

England 
Towing Electrics
Chaps....need a set of electrics for my safari equipe tow bar....any one know what part number i need?
Seen "n" and "s" types on tinterweb..i gues its the n i need?

Ta

Steve You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #28939 3rd Apr 2010 7:28pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
As I remember it the N type is for a simple trailer. The S type provides for internal lights in a caravan for example.

Thumbs Up
Post #28949 3rd Apr 2010 8:42pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Standard electrics from TLO. Then Have a laugh fitting them, the plug is up behind the plastic cover behind the fuel fuller pipe. Give the area a power wash and remove wheel. The cover is held on by two posi drives the nearside one is easy the other is nicely in line with the fuel filler. Once the connectors are made they clip into a hole. Spray with plenty of protective silicon grease, replace cover and the worlds your lobster. Thumbs Up Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #28963 4th Apr 2010 7:37am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
See Wikipedia

"12N is the designation for the older 7-pin lighting socket, used when towing just a trailer or caravan (without the need for charge or fridge functions). In the UK it has all the functions of the rear lights on a vehicle except for reverse. These sockets are not waterproof and suffer from "pin burn-out" when worn.

12S is an additional 7-pin socket mainly used when towing caravans. It consists of a permanent 12v power supply, and usually a switched 12v power supply for the fridge (UK). It also contains a feed for the reverse lights on the caravan.

13 Pin is the new ISO standard (ISO 11446) socket being fitted to all new caravans sold in 2009. It can be wired with the same functions as both the 12N and 12S sockets, or with just the lighting functions including reverse (required on all trailers and caravans from 2010). The socket has been designed to be waterproof, easy to fit/remove (twist operation), the same size as one 12N socket (ideal for detachable towbars as unobtrusive), and with good fitting quality terminals that avoid any pin burnout or voltage failure."

----------------

12N is the single 7 pin. Good for older trailers and basic lighting.
12S is an extra socket - might be good if you're powering a fridge off your new super electrics (although didn't Sonic put an additional battery in his trailer anyway?)
13 pin is more future-proofed.

I have 12N in mine. Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29082 5th Apr 2010 10:34pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
willy eckerslike wrote:
Standard electrics from TLO. Then Have a laugh fitting them, the plug is up behind the plastic cover behind the fuel fuller pipe. Give the area a power wash and remove wheel. The cover is held on by two posi drives the nearside one is easy the other is nicely in line with the fuel filler. Once the connectors are made they clip into a hole. Spray with plenty of protective silicon grease, replace cover and the worlds your lobster. Thumbs Up

Not if yours doesnt have the cover... Big Cry Mike
Post #29176 6th Apr 2010 11:47pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The higher up the socket is the better as it saves getting it full of water/mud.

Ours are fitted above rear foglight. Only downside is that you might need a curly extension lead for trailer/caravan electrics

Brendan
Post #29296 8th Apr 2010 8:03pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I fitted mine into the PTO hole on the rear crossmember. Keeps it out of the way and gives a bit more height (I've often wondered what would happen if it was submerged - how is it isolated because the case is shower-proof at best?

Click image to enlarge
 One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29299 8th Apr 2010 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1