Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jan Jensen

Denmark 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Leaking Coolant from the Coolant Container
Small drops of Coolant
I've tried to find out where it comes from ? Has anyone experience with the
original cooler container can crack in the welded joint in the middle of the container, which separates the upper half part from the lower half part ?

The filler cap has a pressure relief valve as airing out, and a rubber gasket . I do not think it comes from this location, when there is no liquid from the filler cap and down on the outer side of the upper half part . This should , where appropriate, indicate a leak here, but it's not who it comes from. It seems to me to be the horizontal welding in the middle of the tank is leaking but I 'm not sure .

When I after driving e.g. 40-80 miles stops the motor and loosen the Filler cap there will be a slight pressure in a very short time ? Should it ? The engine is not running hard just normal driving 80-90 km / hour.

Could I get some of you to loosen your filler cap after driving a short tour and listening whether there will be a slight pressure out and send me an email so I can get that experience: Is this normal or not for a TD5 engine? My Defender is from 2003 and has run 128.000 miles . Of course I am nervous about a leaking head gasket .
There is no yellow "cream" when checking out the Oil Filler Cap just normal Colored oil. Coolant consumption has been around 50-100ml during 2500 miles. This coolant i assume has been lost in small drops from the coolant tank I can feel some liquid from the welding and down?

Question 1: Has anybody had the same problem with a leaking cool tank ?
Question 2: Has anybody that experience that there will come a slight noise of prsssure when loosen the Filler Cap after driving a tour ?

Please help! My email: jje@has.dk

In forehand thanks !

Regards Jan Jensen Denmark
Post #316380 16th Mar 2014 1:10pm
MichaelHead

England 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Had the same trouble , changed filler cap now all ok
Post #316554 17th Mar 2014 7:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1