It does bring to mind the old Not The Nine O'Clock News Sketch Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #26669 13th Mar 2010 12:38am
discocuzzy

England 
Pics of the install as promised:

Amp and Flat sub neatly mounted under the rear seats, Amp is feeding the 2 Infinity speakers below

Infinity Kappa 6x9s in accoustic boxes temporarily in place until i extend the safari equipe draw top to mount flush to the sides of the vehicle.

Amp and Sub neatly hidden under the seats Thumbs Up

Head unit replaced for an Alpine ipod compatible version, Infinity tweeters and pioneer units as a direct replacement for the originals.

Now i didnt want massive bass but i do like my music, i wanted something that was very close to sound quality of the d3 hse setup......this is pretty close so im well pleased Thumbs Up You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #26719 13th Mar 2010 8:50pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Steve which head unit did you go for Thumbs Up
Post #26726 13th Mar 2010 9:17pm
discocuzzy

England 
This one Mick plus you need the additional Ipod connection kit...good value now, i paid £200.00 for it 18 months ago

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde-9880r.html You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #26754 14th Mar 2010 2:07am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Has anyone tried swapping the door speakers out for something bigger, or just mounting larger speakers like 16-17cm ones in the door cards at all? Is there much clearance to the windows?

Experience has been 10cm speakers are mostly a waste of time, if/when place my order they will have to be the first to go! Would ideally put components (or at least the woofer part) in the door cards, and re-use existing 10cm mounts for CB etc. Disco 3 gone but the memory of the bills remain...
XS 110 Utility maybe one day..... (did they fix the quality yet?)
Post #31966 11th May 2010 3:24pm
TC

United Kingdom 
discocuzzy wrote:
Pics of the install as promised:

Amp and Flat sub neatly mounted under the rear seats, Amp is feeding the 2 Infinity speakers below

Infinity Kappa 6x9s in accoustic boxes temporarily in place until i extend the safari equipe draw top to mount flush to the sides of the vehicle.

Amp and Sub neatly hidden under the seats Thumbs Up

DS,

Head unit replaced for an Alpine ipod compatible version, Infinity tweeters and pioneer units as a direct replacement for the originals.

Now i didnt want massive bass but i do like my music, i wanted something that was very close to sound quality of the d3 hse setup......this is pretty close so im well pleased Thumbs Up

Complete coincidence but I have ordered the same sub (bought without listening). How does it integrate? I have installed a Sony mp3 head unit and am replacing the front speakers with Alpine custom fit 4"s. Would you do anything differently?

Cheers

TC
Post #47332 3rd Dec 2010 9:28pm
discocuzzy

England 
The sub is pretty good but not over the top, just adds definition rather than full on low base so if you want to compete with the corsa boys you may want something bigger! You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #47346 3rd Dec 2010 10:22pm
Bomber82

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
My config:
- head unit PIONEER DEH-P4100SD
- front woofer CIARE CW100
- front tweeter CIARE CT250
- front crossover CIARE CF221
- subwoofer INFINITY BASSLINK

Now the sound is good and I can hear music at high volume!! Mr. Green Matteo
Defender 110 Td4 SE MY 09
Post #47375 4th Dec 2010 7:30am
TC

United Kingdom 
discocuzzy wrote:
The sub is pretty good but not over the top, just adds definition rather than full on low base so if you want to compete with the corsa boys you may want something bigger!

Nope, sounds perfect DC. I just want to hear music at full depth, just expand the available frequency response.

Cheers
Post #47379 4th Dec 2010 9:04am
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Just curious, Discoscuzzy - Which tweeters did you go for?

I fitted a set of INfinity tweeters, but the sound from them is so harsh as to be almost painful (even with higher frequencies turned down).

Looking for some tweeters with a smooth but detailed sound.

And why are the only 10cm component speakers one can find so bl**dy expensive?!! Evil or Very Mad 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #47401 4th Dec 2010 1:52pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Top Tip
Those that dont want to fit a sub into the load area, there is room in the drivers seat box. Sound proof the sides and floor of the box to prevent road/transmission noise entering the vehicle, fit the sub and leave the removable metal cover at home. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #47406 4th Dec 2010 2:48pm
TC

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:
Top Tip
Those that dont want to fit a sub into the load area, there is room in the drivers seat box. Sound proof the sides and floor of the box to prevent road/transmission noise entering the vehicle, fit the sub and leave the removable metal cover at home.

Hi Andrew

I had a look in the seat box on the TD5, there doesn't seem to be enough space....the ecu fills a lot of the available space. There may physically be enough room but not necessarily enough to mount securely.

Do you have any pictures?

Cheers,

TC
Post #47484 5th Dec 2010 5:41pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
My comments were referring to the Puma Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #47488 5th Dec 2010 6:10pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
szracer wrote:

I fitted a set of INfinity tweeters, but the sound from them is so harsh as to be almost painful (even with higher frequencies turned down).

Looking for some tweeters with a smooth but detailed sound.

And why are the only 10cm component speakers one can find so bl**dy expensive?!! Evil or Very Mad

Inifitiny speakers have a really nice sound, but are typically very "bright" as you discovered, with a lot of top end that can be really piercing depending on what you pair them up with. If you have a head unit or amp that is also a bit top end heavy it can be a really bad combination without some EQ, treble control is no use, and even if you have adjustable Q treble controls so you can pick a high frequency its still not going to be great. The recent Kappa range is a bit cheap and cheerful as well and not as good as their glory days several years back.

Best option is either to mount the tweeters somewhere different, or to get something different. Your probably also suffering from the Defender being a really sound reflective environment with the big flat glass window and lots of hard plastics, if you put the same tweeters in something with cloth not vinyl doors and a lot more carpet they would sound a lot better. What head unit are you using as well?

10cm components are really a bit of a waste, the 10cm/4" woofer is more of a poodle chirp than a woof, but they do produce good midrange frequencies for vocals, but in defender they are facing downwards so a lot of this is lost!

If you want decent sound, probably the best bet is to get some 13cm or 17cm and fit them in the door cards, but depending on clearance to the window you may need to build something up to avoid them fouling. And of course in a defender they are going to get wet...

if you just want some decent value 10cm speakers, look at the custom fit ranges from Pioneer and Alpine in 10cm size - decent quality without all the frills and grills - e.g. Pioneer TS-1002i look like the right fit and at £25 are not going to break the bank. Sticking in some £100+ jobs is going to be a waste of time given the mounting location and volume available inside the dash, IMHO. Disco 3 gone but the memory of the bills remain...
XS 110 Utility maybe one day..... (did they fix the quality yet?)
Post #47546 6th Dec 2010 9:57am
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thanks, Paul. Very informative.

Yes, I suspect what you say about the Infinity tweeters is true. Certainly in my case, they seem to be over-bright and 'sibilant' (knew I remembered some jargon from my old home hi-fi days!). Ironically cymbals etc. are not as bad (I guess they're crisp) as certain vocal tracks with lots of 'ssss' sounds - Just painful! They are Kappa tweeters, and are metal, so probably doesn't help. Need to find some 47mm tweeters that are soft dome, maybe?

I had fitted some cheap-ish Phonocar(sp?) 10cm mid range units in place of the factory ones, but to be honest, they're not fantastic. And they don't really gel with the inifinity tweeters. Dare I say it, the cheapo factory speaker setup sounded more balanced, if not as clear.

The head unit I'm using is a Kenwood KIV-700 which is superb (certainly in functionality - too early to judge on sound), playing my iphone either through a cable (or bluetooth when I'm feeling lazy).

Ideally I wanted to look at fitting 13cm midbass units in the standard position under the dash (see my other post), compromised as that may be, as I don't like the idea of speakers in doors. I need to explore just how much room there is.

I also have a Kenwood powered sub, which I've yet to fit, but will hopefully fill out the lower frequencies a bit.

Ironically, my Puma is probably less harsh sounding than most, as it does have a full Noisekiller soundproofing kit fitted, and TGE rear panels, which does cut down a lot of the noise and echo inside. But it's no Lexus...

thank God! Rolling with laughter

Take your suggestion about fitted some cheapish coaxial units, but still like the idea of keeping the tweeters nearer the listening position, hence my 'quest'.... 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #47630 6th Dec 2010 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>