Home > Td5 > dmf fault?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kevinf

United Kingdom 
dmf fault?
hi folks
having just had the gearbox out of my 2002 110 td5 due to gear box layshaft brgs being knacked i also took the oppertunity to change the clutch (didnt seem excessively worn considering age and mileage ) dmf wasnt replaced as it appeared to be ok plus £4-500(I would have to spend a lot of time on my back to earn that amount of money mending trucks that is)
and i also removed the exhaust manifold to drill out the sheared manifold to head studs. now find i have a very worrying noise on acceleration ie a light tinkling rattle under normal driving up to about 30 ish,replaced by a heavy knocking rather like a big-end knock that seems to dissapear when the vehicle get to speed and the load on the engine reducers also the heavy knocking is also present under harsh acceleration,I know there is some distortion of the exhaust manifold but the noise wasnt there when it had a few less studs holding it in place! also a forgot to add I also uprated the transfer box to 1.22 ratio

any ideas? all imput greatly received

cheers kevin
p.s iv'e tried revving the nuts of it whilst stationary and also driving it thru the gears with the transfer box in nuetral and all sounds normal
Post #327486 1st May 2014 10:33am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Mine does that tinkling thing.... damn annoying it is too!
Post #327584 1st May 2014 7:04pm
kevinf

United Kingdom 
I'm not so much worried about the tinkling noise as i am the heavy knocking noise!, does this mean I'm taking the box out again Big Cry .
diesel jim do you frequent the 4x4overlandtravel site by any chance

cheers kevin
Post #327762 2nd May 2014 10:07am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Yeah that's me over there.... Good site too. As is the HUBB Thumbs Up
Post #327764 2nd May 2014 10:17am
Waldo

United Kingdom 
Sorry to sidetrack bu 4x4overlandtravel is great.

Seems quiet though.

Just so much good info on there Defender 90 XS TD5 (03 Reg)
Post #327911 2nd May 2014 8:47pm
kevinf

United Kingdom 
having spent the weekend away with the landrover club off-roading at newark the knocking noise seems to be getting worst
but nothing as failed yet,still thinking its the DMF so now the question is do i replace the dmf or fit a solid conversion (smf)
i know the topic as been raised before but what are the negative issues of fitting a smf???

cheers kevin
Post #328675 6th May 2014 10:19am
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Re: dmf fault?
kevinf wrote:
hi folks
having just had the gearbox out of my 2002 110 td5 due to gear box layshaft brgs being knacked i also took the oppertunity to change the clutch (didnt seem excessively worn considering age and mileage ) dmf wasnt replaced as it appeared to be ok plus £4-500(I would have to spend a lot of time on my back to earn that amount of money mending trucks that is)
and i also removed the exhaust manifold to drill out the sheared manifold to head studs. now find i have a very worrying noise on acceleration ie a light tinkling rattle under normal driving up to about 30 ish,replaced by a heavy knocking rather like a big-end knock that seems to dissapear when the vehicle get to speed and the load on the engine reducers also the heavy knocking is also present under harsh acceleration,I know there is some distortion of the exhaust manifold but the noise wasnt there when it had a few less studs holding it in place! also a forgot to add I also uprated the transfer box to 1.22 ratio

any ideas? all imput greatly received

cheers kevin
p.s iv'e tried revving the nuts of it whilst stationary and also driving it thru the gears with the transfer box in nuetral and all sounds normal

Can I ask what symptoms your gearbox was showing and what milage it had done? I currently have a thread going in the maintenance and modifications section as I have gearbox woes. 2002 110 td5
Post #328929 7th May 2014 11:11am
kevinf

United Kingdom 
Hi jimb

The symptoms were a heavy rattling rumble whilst driving thru the gears apart from 4th gear ,also it was present in overrun!
Initial diagnosis was a missing gear tooth on the lay shaft,but turned out to be very badly worn layshaft bearing,almost to the point of breaking up
The mileage is 107000

Hope this helps
Kevin
Post #329129 7th May 2014 9:29pm
Ellis01

United Kingdom 
Sadly as we do quite a lot of these, many clutches outlive the flywheels. Did you check for play?
Post #331047 14th May 2014 7:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kevinf

United Kingdom 
update time

turns out it wasn't the dmf after all (yes it was checked for wear but i decided it was servicable)
the heavy frightening knocking noise was caused by the x brake hand brake conversion (more specifically the britpart handbrake cable supplied free with the x brake when purchased from paddocks), so the moral of the story is allthough i saved £24 onthe cost of a cable it could have cost me a lot more if i had jumped the gun and took the gearbox back out!

cheers kevin
Post #332236 20th May 2014 10:25am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
My R380 mainshaft bearings gave out at 22,000 miles. Just out of warranty.
Got an Ashcroft recon exchange which is great. 
Post #332237 20th May 2014 10:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1