Home > Puma (Tdci) > Finally had enough
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Re: Similar problem here
Hans wrote:
When approaching a red traffic light, driving slowly, I put the gearbox in neutral and lift my foot off the clutch pedal I hear a loud knocking noise under the car as if some part is loose and banging around. My dealer told me this is normal with Defenders.
I think this is rubbish. Should I take it back to the dealer?

Hans, mine does this and so did the first puma I had. Now that does not mean, I am sorry to say it is normal
Post #25959 6th Mar 2010 8:57am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Thats definately not Normal, get a decent dealer and get it sorted. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #25961 6th Mar 2010 9:49am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If you feel that the dealers are purposely using delaying tactics to take you out of warranty make sure that your gearbox issues are well documented before! Write to them, use registered post keep a copy or better still e-mail them and request a response and a proposed plan of action from them to cure your problem!
If you have an auditable trail it will undoubtedly strengthen your claim should the problem still be there after your warranty is up!
Shall remove my 'barrack room lawyer' head now! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #25962 6th Mar 2010 9:54am
Cannonball

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hello Hans. Had the same problem with mine from new, but mainly after a long run. After 15 months of being told it was normal I left it with dealer to drive around for a week. They finally agreed it was far from normal and they ended up replacing the transfer box. Seems to have cured the problem so far.
Post #25966 6th Mar 2010 10:36am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hi Guys

1)how does a worn plastic selector look like?

2)I`m lost. I got the clutch replaced 10k ago and the clonk persisted. The TC replaced 5k ago and it is worse!
Dave from Ashcroft Transm. said it is very hard to know the source of the noise as it can be the sum of all transmission components.

3)I have the feel when the clutch disc gets a bit worn out the clonk increases dramatically.

4)In extreme conditions of traction: should the clutch slip?

thanks

MK Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #25976 6th Mar 2010 2:56pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
This is common. It's a misaligned handbrake.

Mine used to do it, the dealer adjusted the handbrake and it stopped (for a while). Started doing it again so another adjustment and now it's fine.

With mine, you could temporarily solve the problem by bringing it to a stop on the handbrake (from very low speeds). It would then stop the banging for the rest of the journey. Try it - if it is the same problem then it might work for you too.

The only complete solution I can work out is replacing the brake with an X-brake disc.

Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #26008 6th Mar 2010 9:24pm
dullbird

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
Cannonball wrote:
Hello Hans. Had the same problem with mine from new, but mainly after a long run. After 15 months of being told it was normal I left it with dealer to drive around for a week. They finally agreed it was far from normal and they ended up replacing the transfer box. Seems to have cured the problem so far.

I'm happy to read this as it happens to mine also the geabox and transfer are being pulled on the 15th march..I also get clunking through gears however was much much worse until I had a new engine and then clutch put in since the clutch was in it was really good now the clunking is creaping back again YOU KNOW REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS!!!!
Post #26177 8th Mar 2010 4:04am
Hans

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Will get new clutch soon
I ran into another problem today: the driver-side window fell down into the door and I couldn't close it again. This was at the beginning of a 300km trip through freezing wind. Luckily there was a dealer at 500m from my destination and after my appointment I had them fix the window (half of my face was frozen and the other half scorched by the heating).

While the mechanic was working on my car I told him about the clunking noise when changing gears and he immediately told me that this means the clutch is dying and I should have it replaced before the car goes out of warranty. 'They all have this problem after 40.000km' he added.

Then he told me that most dealers try to delay this repair until after warranty.

I immediately made an appointment and at the end of this month the clutch will be replaced.

dullbird wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

I'm happy to read this as it happens to mine also the geabox and transfer are being pulled on the 15th march..I also get clunking through gears however was much much worse until I had a new engine and then clutch put in since the clutch was in it was really good now the clunking is creaping back again
 Hans
http://www.orlaya.fr
Post #26280 8th Mar 2010 8:51pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Re: Will get new clutch soon
Hans wrote:
I ran into another problem today: the driver-side window fell down into the door and I couldn't close it again. This was at the beginning of a 300km trip through freezing wind. Luckily there was a dealer at 500m from my destination and after my appointment I had them fix the window (half of my face was frozen and the other half scorched by the heating).

While the mechanic was working on my car I told him about the clunking noise when changing gears and he immediately told me that this means the clutch is dying and I should have it replaced before the car goes out of warranty. 'They all have this problem after 40.000km' he added.

Then he told me that most dealers try to delay this repair until after warranty.

I immediately made an appointment and at the end of this month the clutch will be replaced.

dullbird wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

I'm happy to read this as it happens to mine also the geabox and transfer are being pulled on the 15th march..I also get clunking through gears however was much much worse until I had a new engine and then clutch put in since the clutch was in it was really good now the clunking is creaping back again

Hi Guys

I think I have the same on this side. Clutch at 15000 and TC at 25000 km. Now I have a loud clonk. I used top of the line + additive to the new TC, so it would be unlikely to have the TC worn out after 5000 km. I would also say it is the clutch. I guess they used the new version but who knows.

The bottom line would be a bad design of the clutch.........? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #26293 8th Mar 2010 9:53pm
322tpe

Update

Vehicle to be returned to me as dealer says that the defender issues are "within the parameters of what to expect from a defender" and the problems are "probably down to how you drive it".This is despite putting them in touch with another dealer who rectified the same problems on another Defender as apparently they "didn't want to share information" Crying or Very sad
I also supplied copies of the numerous threads from here regarding the problems as evidence but apparently Land Rover UK haven't experienced anything like this before Crying or Very sad

Just sent LRUK a letter informing them that I intend to have it assessed independently and will be holding them responsible for any mishaps connected to fighting to get the vehicle into the lower gears which has already caused some problems

As much as I love Landys theres only so much you can take and its not much more Sad
Post #26608 12th Mar 2010 3:38pm
willy eckerslike

Surely your problem is the dealer not Land Rover, lots of people have had problems and get them sorted with no issues. Is that the only dealer you can use or can you get to another one.

Why not find someone nearby who is on the Forum and willing to let you try theirs (land Rover that is Whistle ) Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #26609 12th Mar 2010 3:51pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
willy eckerslike wrote:
Why not find someone nearby who is on the Forum and willing to let you try theirs (land Rover that is Whistle )

I agree.

322tpe - where are you in the UK ?

Bob
Post #26617 12th Mar 2010 4:36pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
^^^^^
Agree also,

We do the same here to compare the problems when we have doubts.

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #26618 12th Mar 2010 4:47pm
willy eckerslike

Thats the way fwd Thumbs Up I'm sure we can help you get to the bottom of your problems. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #26620 12th Mar 2010 5:03pm
322tpe

Its a warranty issue and covered by Land Rover

Just picked it up and to be fair to the dealer they phoned LR and asked if they could investigate further (they wanted to drop the box out ) but were told no just hand it back Confused

Driving perfectly now but its always been an intermittent problem.One minute its smooth ass you like and the next you're wrestling it into gear
Post #26621 12th Mar 2010 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>