↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Evoque Off-Road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
NoDo$h

England 
I keep looking at them to replace my aging D3 as the Freelander leaves me cold with the build finish while the D4 is just too much money for the same old same old. Half of what I use the D3 for I could do with the Defender, and the other half I only do because I have the space - like taking lots of people and dogs for walks and pub on a Sunday.

If I get an Evoque, they'll have to take their own cars Rolling with laughter

Hmmmm..... Mind you, I've been here before and still have the D3 I bought in '08 Embarassed 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #304856 3rd Feb 2014 10:24pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
My Dad's got a Disco 4, and the Evoque would be a match for it if it wasn't so bloody small! That's the reason he hasn't got a RR Sport, the boot isn't big enough! An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #305075 4th Feb 2014 5:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'd rather have an Evoque than a freelnder but I'd rather have a disco than either.
Top of my preference is the Defender and the RR you can't really compare as it's in a class of its own.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #305078 4th Feb 2014 5:59pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Was following an Evoque in town today. Noticed that the rear seat passengers heads were almost touching the roof. When they pulled over and got out they weren't exactly tall! Also, with the rear window being such narrow little letterbox of a thing, the 2 heads looked like they almost totally obscured the view for the driver. I reckon my mum's Yaris would have better headroom and better visibility!

Styling wise I think the swooped down back does look good. However, one of the best things about driving a Range Rover / Disco etc is the awesome all round visibility - you can see all 4 corners, the bonnet and loads of view out the back. They haven't got this in the Evoque, which, even if I had a spare 40K, means I wouldn't buy one...... Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #305161 4th Feb 2014 11:01pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I actually enjoy the drive in an Evoque. However, I didn't really notice the difference between it and the Freelander. Do have the feeling the automatic gearbox is lost sometimes on the many roundabouts we have over here. Probably has to do with it's not adapted to my driving style every time I get one from the dealer. Especially loved the petrol Evoque with the manual gearbox. But if I had to choose, it would be the Freelander every time. The Evoque is a bit to fashionable to my taste.
Post #305168 4th Feb 2014 11:09pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Also drove the Evook at LR Experience. If you close your eyes, you can't really tell the difference from an FL2, except for the better NVH and larger wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ5...B6313dbto8 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #305248 5th Feb 2014 8:35am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Trust me, on the road, you CAN tell the difference between a FL2 and an Evoque, especially if it's a Dynamic, with the active shocks.

It's much quieter and smoother in the Evoque than a FL2 (even though I've got the 20" Low Pros).

The Evoque is far more refined than the FL2 in pretty much every way.

On the Motorway at 80mph, it's pretty silent and then you've got the interior that the FL2 just hasn't got. Put that with the Meridan Sound it's leagues above. I've got the Lux pack so it has the upgraded Meridian system (with TV/DVD).

I chopped in a Jag XK for the Evoque and thought we'd miss the XK as that is a mileage eater, but to be honest I was pleasantly suprised how refined, smooth and quiet the Evoque is. It's no FL2, the FL2 isn't a bad machine, in fact I love the FL2, but no, not even close to what the Evoque has to offer.

Love it or hate it, how many bad things have you heard the motoring world say about the Evoque?

The rear is an optical illusion. Mine is the Coupe, so even more of a raked roof. There's stacks of room in the back. My mate is over 6ft and he fits in there fine with plenty of headroom.

As for off-road, I do believe that the Evoque has more ground clearance than the FL2, although you'd have to change the wheel/tyres for any serious work. However, I think it's angles are a bit more compromised than the FL2 though, especially the Coupe Dynamic.

The problem is, people look at the Evoque and then compare it to every Land Rover model ever made. It's not trying to compete with their own brands..........

....and one final thing, whilst the Evoque does seem to be pretty tasty off-road (especially now with the 9 speed auto), it's been designed with a more biased road use. We bought one because we like the styling, driving, sound system and for those times when there's the need for 4x4. However, the 4x4 element was much lower down the priority list. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #305250 5th Feb 2014 9:12am
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
^^I'd completely agree about the comparison between the Evoque and FL2. The build quality and general feeling if the Evoque is far superior to that of the FL2. Mum drives a FL2, and she was pleasantly surprised by the Evoque Laughing An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #305327 5th Feb 2014 5:41pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Only bad comments from people who have driven them were boot too small, mirrors too big. If you don't have the glass roof children have become travel sick.

Also one customer moaned it wasn't as good as his 4.4 range rover.

I'd buy one tomorrow, great car to have for best.
Post #305337 5th Feb 2014 6:18pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
X-isle, what engine do you have?..I read an Australian report saying that the petrol turbo engine was the way to go?
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #305427 5th Feb 2014 10:14pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
What are the servicing costs for the Evoque? And can you fit a Labrador size dog in the back for a long journey with the back seats in place in the 5 door version?
Post #305777 7th Feb 2014 12:18am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Service costs are broadly similar to Defender:

Quote:
Service intervals are 12 months or 16000 miles whichever occurs the soonest.

Service 1. 321.14 VAT inclusive
Service 2. 409.96 VAT inclusive
Service 3. 321.14 VAT inclusive

I guess it will vary dealer-by-dealer...

You may struggle with a big dog and 4/5 passengers. The boot isn't that big. The FL2 has a bigger boot.

This is MrsK's the day we collected it (with my defender):

Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #305821 7th Feb 2014 9:02am
william8

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
The evoque's are really surprising off road! We went off roading on a photoshoot for top gear magazine and Tom Ford with our 90 and a SD4 and it followed us all the way! They were taming it down but we were surprised.

They also have a strange feature that when you ground out bumpers and sills just pop off Laughing wonder if its in the manual.

[Upload isn't working currently will try later]
Photo copyright goes to Top Gear Magazine William
Post #305857 7th Feb 2014 11:54am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
So you're the man with the beard? Mr. Green

Must be a great place to drive around. Thumbs Up
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/range-r...2012-10-30
Post #305861 7th Feb 2014 12:11pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've got the SD4 Auto. The full title is a mouthfull - Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe Dynamic SD4 Lux Shocked

For me, whilst the Petrol is a little quicker, I didn't think it was worth it for the MPG. I also don't see the need for a Manual as the Auto is quicker. It's in for a service in a few weeks and we've got a Manual as a courtesy, however, suspect this might just be a 2wd version.

Not sure about the moans about the boot, it's pretty big (again it looks small from the outside) and I've got the Coupe so it's even smaller than the 5 door, but again, don't compare it to LRs other models as it's not intended to be on a similar carrying level. Remember, it's a Range Rover, not a Land Rover. For the size of vehicle, the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport don't have huge boots either.

Children being sick? Don't they get sick in all cars? No children which is why we went for the Coupe and as I've got the LUX pack, it has the glass roof.

The mirrors are something to do with Euro rules, however, I believe they've managed to shrink them for 2014.

Don't know about the servicing as we have a free servicing plan so don't pay for it for a few years.

Last night I ended up having to wade through a pretty deep flood. I can confirm the doors don't leak! Mr. Green

As for Dog owners??? Probably not the right car unless any other Evoque Dog owners can correct me? Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography

Last edited by x-isle on 7th Feb 2014 12:45pm. Edited 6 times in total
Post #305862 7th Feb 2014 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>