↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > air bleed valve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
air bleed valve
I ordered an air bleed valve a while back after reading comments about how it can be the cure for starting issues. As I had a bit of time tonight I took the front left pipe off the fuel filter and was going to replace like for like.

The part that I bought is different to the part in place. The air bleed valve I have is part No WJN500110 and looks like the pic off all the websites. The one in place has a shorter threaded section and no plastic filter insert.

Am I missing something obvious?? Neutral Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #301049 21st Jan 2014 9:57pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
What you have bought is definately the same as I've dealt with the only thing that I can think of is that you may have got the wrong outlet on the filter head. The front left I have referred to is as you look at the filter head from the side, or think of it as the one furthest from the chassis rail and facing towards the rear light cluster. If you were to reach forward with your hand from the side, the one at the front as you're looking at it, on the left.

I don't mean to treat you as a child, I'm thinking that you may have thought the description may have referred to the vehicle orientation as you would for all other descriptions for the location of vehicle parts.
Post #301061 21st Jan 2014 10:33pm
Little Tom

Not a problem with your description, no offense taken and all helpful as ever! I'm certain I have the correct one from your description and pictures I have seen.

Only thing I thought was maybe there was a design change or perhaps someone had put it back in the wrong place. Like I said, it looks similar, same material etc, just shorter by about 0.5cm. I also thought that maybe I'd left part of it in place perhaps? Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #301070 21st Jan 2014 10:50pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
It looks like somebody has been there before you and binned it allready if the insert isn't there. On mine I'm sure that even though there is that copper washer with the new one it would only be an ornament on mine as there is still thread showing when it's in place. Just double check though that it isn't still lodged in the filter head, just in case Wink
Post #301102 21st Jan 2014 11:53pm
Carlosbeldia

Columbia 2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Best thing to do is to eliminate that valve.... all your starting issues due to air in the line will be gone...... everybody here in Latin America do that with no issues at all. I bought one of those valves and it got completly clought like one year after new. You can also put a little hose coming from the bleed connector in the pump (tye one that stays in the air inside the tank) to the end of the tank....
Post #301119 22nd Jan 2014 5:46am
Little Tom

Thanks to both of you Thumbs Up I will have another either tonight or at the weekend, I think if I took the whell off it would be easier to have a proper look. Interesting that people run them without the valve at all, I had read about it somewhere once but didnt realise it was sucj common practice. Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #301140 22nd Jan 2014 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1