↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Webasto Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NorTD5

Norway 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Webasto Help
My 2000 TD5 has a Webasto Thermo top C fitted, I think from new. It seems to work fine - comes on automatically when it is very cold and will come on when I switch it on and the engine warms up appreciably quicker when it is on. However, I recently downloaded an english language user guide for it (the one that came with the car is in German) and read about the preheating facility.
Apparently, the Webasto will work to preheat the car, by warming up the water and switching on the heater fan. I tried it, and indeed the fan did come on, although it did not seem to warm up very quickly. Then I left the Webasto on when I went into a shop - engine warm. Came out twenty minutes later and the heater vents were throwing out cold air Big Cry . Started the engine, and the air soon became warm again.
I guess that the circulation pump on the Webasto is not working properly, but does anyone know...
If the pump is not working, will water still circulate through the Webasto when the engine is running, as the system definitely helps the car warm up quicker?
There is a high pitched whine, barely audible with the engine running, when the Webasto is on - could this be the pump killing itself by circulating a spoiled impeller?
And if the answer to the above is yes, will this destroy the pump, should I disconnect the whole system, and how do I do this...

Many thanks to any one that can help, it is rather chilly here at the moment - too chilly to dig around under the bonnet, but I would love the system to work properly!

Mark
Post #299179 15th Jan 2014 9:11pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
sounds like its the Webasto pump goosed to me.

Mine dont whine, the only noise you get is combustion and the fuel pump Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #299200 15th Jan 2014 10:11pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
There are two fans - one for air and the other circulates the coolant.

If the coolant pump falls, the Webasto should detect an overheat and shut down, but you will hear the air fan running whilst it does so.

The coolant pump is available from a number of places - I got a genuine one from Germany via eBay for half the price of a genuine one in the UK.

One way to check if the water pump is working is start the Webasto on a cold engine and then feel the coolant pipes whilst it runs. On mine the pipes got very hot and then the Webasto shut down. New pump sorted it out immediately. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #299202 15th Jan 2014 10:21pm
NorTD5

Thanks for the tips - if it ever stops snowing, I will go out and check the coolant pipes. Thankfully it is easily accessible. In the meantime, I guess I will have a look for a pump on Ebay and locally.

Cheers,

Mark
Post #299216 15th Jan 2014 11:03pm
NorTD5

Just like you described Dave - the pipes got hot by the Webasto unit, but were stone cold a foot away. Time to start shopping for a new circulation pump!

Cheers,

Mark
Post #300284 19th Jan 2014 3:16pm
dorstsmith2

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Thanks for the tips - if it ever stops snowing, ill swop the rain for snow Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #300287 19th Jan 2014 3:52pm
nosnibod

NorTD5 wrote:
Just like you described Dave - the pipes got hot by the Webasto unit, but were stone cold a foot away. Time to start shopping for a new circulation pump!

Thought so!

If you prise up the centre black cover (where the cable from the water pump goes into) you can unplug the electrical connector from the pump and then apply 12V to the pins, just to make sure.

I got my replacement from eBay from a seller called autoteileostde. There is one listed here.

I reused the original water pump electrical connector and just joined the wires.

I found it easier to clamp the coolant and fuel pipes to remove the entire thing and replace the pump on the workbench. Whilst I was there I found the stainless steel exhaust piping had split in several places, so I ended up replacing that too. Dave
Post #300321 19th Jan 2014 6:44pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
One more thing to check on a TD5:

The expansion pipe from the radiator to the expansion bottle must have a one way valve it it or the webasto sucks air into coolant pipes meaning it air locks and leads to the same fail conditions (webasto gets hot but fails to circulate).

Make sure the valve is in place and it hasn't failed.
Post #300352 19th Jan 2014 8:19pm
NorTD5

Ordered, and as a special bonus, my better half is going home to London this week, so we can get it delivered there and avoid extra shipping and Norway's handling charges and import taxes. Thanks again, and I will update on fitting in a couple of weeks or so, depending on the weather...

Mark
Post #300377 19th Jan 2014 9:07pm
NorTD5

Just read the message from Phoenix. Will check that tomorrow after work - watch this space for a circulation pump for sale if I find a problem!

Mark
Post #300379 19th Jan 2014 9:09pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Mark,

If you go into my gallery, I have just uploaded some english instructions for a Webasto on a TD5 (might be the same as you have already). Check out page 6 where it shows photos of the valve installed, photo 13 & 14.

If there is a valve problem, it doesn't have to be the webasto one you use. I used one similar to THIS and it did the job nicely.

Like I say, one more thing to check Thumbs Up
Post #300386 19th Jan 2014 9:20pm
nosnibod

If the non-return valve fails you'll often hear a strange gurgling when the Webasto is running on it's own. The effect on my Td5 was that the Webasto worked, but it didn't get very warm.

As I said, test the existing pump with 12V to the pins on the connector. It's quiet quiet, but you can feeling it working if you reach down to it.

PS If you get the +ve and -ve the wrong way round when testing it, it won't run either. Dave
Post #300399 19th Jan 2014 9:47pm
NorTD5

No sign of a non return valve on the overflow, so I will fix that - it looks to be an easy fix and I am sure I can find a one way valve locally. Is 8mm the right size, Phoenix?

Also no sign of any vibration in the circulation pump, when the unit is running cold, although I did not set up a separate 12v supply - it is -4C and snowing lightly out there so I did not want to hang around for too long. Not sure I am tough enough for this climate! Confused

Should be able to sort the valve out this weekend, so will have a few days before the pump comes back from England to try it out... Thanks again for the advice.

Mark
Post #300666 20th Jan 2014 8:32pm
NorTD5

Just a quick update - two weekends of going to every motor factors in this area of Norway has failed to get me a one way valve, so this is going to wait until my brother comes out next month and will bring one with him...

In the meantime, I have a bright and shiny new circulation pump, but am resisting the temptation to put it in until I have tried the cheaper fix.

As the Webasto definitely does the job of helping the engine up to temperature faster, this job can wait a bit, and I can focus on the electrical gremlins that appeared when a couple of warm days melted all the snow... Evil or Very Mad
Post #305634 6th Feb 2014 5:19pm
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
I havent seen this one way valve on other Td5s I have looked at in Norway, but then again I wasnt looking for it either.

Was the webasto fitted new by the norwegian importer ?

Glen "Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #305796 7th Feb 2014 1:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>