↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Storing the spare wheel on the roof rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
danridge

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Storing the spare wheel on the roof rack
I like the idea I this. Has anyone done the same?
How could it be secured to the rack? (Patriot rack in my case)
Post #292060 20th Dec 2013 10:02pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Have you tried getting it up and down from the rack on your own yet ?

If not, I'd give it a try before looking at ways to secure it ! Maybe also try strapping it down and go for a drive around, it's a lot of weight to carry up high if the rest of the vehicle isn't fully loaded and can make for some "interesting" handling.

I'll never forget one of the journalists from a LR magazine many moons ago telling me a story about the time he had to get the spare down off the roof rack on his own. In short, the spare wheel ended up about half a mile away (he was near the top of a hill at the time) and it was fortunate there was nobody in it's path ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #292062 20th Dec 2013 10:12pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Unless you already have 2 other spare wheels, this is the worst idea. In which case, do you really need a third?

Storing the spare wheel high up is pretty much the least sensible place to put it. It raises the centre of gravity so much that the vehicle will be noticeably worse to drive. I'm all for roof storage, hell I have a roof tent as well, but you want to keep it as light as possible, and not have the wheel on the roof. A roof rack, tent plus spare wheel, you are almost certainly exceeding the safe limit the roof can take as well.

The other thing which clearly, anyone who thinks of this has not considered is what has been previously mentioned, getting the wheel from either the floor to the roof and visa versa is a pig of a job, even for someone fit and healthy.

Rear carrier first, if you want another spare, stick it either on the bonnet, or if you have a Puma, keep a second either inside, or get a double rear wheel carrier. 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #292063 20th Dec 2013 10:20pm
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
I am 6'3" and I would struggle getting my spare on the roof, mine is on the bonnet.
Post #292076 20th Dec 2013 11:24pm
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Ive got mine on the top of my 90 and my gaffer has his on the roof of his 110, both are secured down with a ladder clamp http://www.vanroofracks.co/images/Products/ladder-clamps-big.jpg and ive never had hassle getting it up or down even though it happens often for work getting other stuff up there.. mine been up there for about six months and the 110 about 4 years..
Post #292077 20th Dec 2013 11:31pm
danridge

Thanks guys - appreciate the input.
Tucker - got any pics?
Cheers
Post #292093 21st Dec 2013 12:48am
Splitpin

United Kingdom 
Having it bake in the summer heat, UV rays and then the winters can age a tyre very fast.

If on the top a cover is a good idea.
Post #292101 21st Dec 2013 6:40am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Thought patriot did a carrier for it?

Andy
Post #292103 21st Dec 2013 7:13am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yep is listed as a accessory.

http://www.patriotroofracks.co.uk/accessories.html

Andy
Post #292104 21st Dec 2013 7:15am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I regularly carry the wheel on my Patriot rack (I have a trailer which fouls the spare when it's on the usual swing-away) with no problems whatsoever. Like many things you'll have no problems if you are sensible.

It will alter the handling a little, but no more so thank many other loading conditions. You definitely won't fit in height-restricted places, and you'll want to keep it covered to protect it from UV (a normal spare cover will probably shred due to the wind on the roof).

Getting it there is the hard part! I usually use a rope and, standing on the rack, slide it up/down a ladder or plank. If I don't have a ladder or plank I stand on the tailgate and use brute force. It could be very difficult with a tailgate-less model though - you'd probably have to improvise a davit of some kind.

I secure it with ratchet straps and a chain and padlock.
Post #292107 21st Dec 2013 7:50am
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
This is the only pic ive got now, but i will get some up if i remember once back from holidays.

Click image to enlarge
Post #292473 22nd Dec 2013 7:09pm
danridge

Nice one thanks
Post #292556 22nd Dec 2013 10:21pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Thinking of placing the spare on my rack - or at least having the facilty if i need the space in the rear tub.

Currently that's a LR HD wheel and MTR tyre - probably one of the heaviest LR combos but still only coming in at 35kg .

After reading various posts on here, I thought I'd better try lifting it up and down first before buying any fixing hardware. It was surprisingly easy by using a 2m tree strop looped through the wheel centre and lifting it up from the rear of the vehicle. Not surprisingly, lowering it down was even easier. Both exercises were made even easier by lowering the tailgate and using that as an intermediate step in the process.

I had looked at the Patriot mount but £100 for a couple of pieces of aluminium plate was too steep and it actually looked a rather flimsy arranged.

I liked the look of the rear door spare wheel carriers and thought that with the backing plate provided in the kit it could be sandwiched between one of the treadplates relatively easily and maybe even be fully removeable without leaving any marks or holes.

I bought the Britpart kit from Paddocks for £31.80:

Lining up the parts on the rack show that to use all the mounting holes will require drilling a few holes - well actually four for plate to plate fixings and one for the central loop:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

and the original 7 fixing screws will have to be swapped out for some longer ones. The holes are actually sized for M8 and will need some 60mm length bolts with suitable penny washers and nyloc nuts.

but the final fit should be very secure:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The only issue I can see is that the bottom bracket has the main wheel studs welded to the rear face so can't be disassembled to easily mount under the tread plate. I'm thinking that I'll have to undo a few of the bracing spacers underneath and slide the fitting in from one end or the other. Either that or take the tread plate off the vehicle altogether.

In terms of overall placement it's fairly central front to rear being placed evenly between the second and third lateral spar and offset to the passenger side as the missus is lighter than me :lol:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #321307 3rd Apr 2014 5:02pm
leealanr

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
In Ethiopia, it is usual for the SECOND spare to be carried on the roof of most 4 x 4s and mini buses.

Yes you can get a twin swing away rear wheel carrier, but they are vry expensive and agricultural looking.

Great if you are ovrlanding, not so good if like me the car is the family car first and foremost.

Many of my fri3nds just leave it up there all the time. I intend to put it on the roof only when I think a journey out of Addis( believe me they al do!) Justifyies carrying my second spare.

I know of no one who covrs them while they are on the roof ans Addis has a lot highr UV being at 2500m above sea level.

in short, it is a sensible place, for the SECOND spare, first one to sit on the swing away rear carrier.

Alan L.
Post #323705 14th Apr 2014 6:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1