↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Had a crash yesterday...glad i WASN'T in the 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Had a crash yesterday...glad i WASN'T in the 110
Lucky springs to mind. for myself and the old lady that pulled out in front of me.

i decided to use the passat pool car i have as its quicker, quieter and not my expense to visit a friend in Gloucester yesterday.

Made me realize the 110 as a regular cars not an option for my family anymore. id of been seriously injured and so would the other party had id been in the 110.

the other car was carrying kids...only 1 had there seat belt on. makes me shudder thinking about it and how it may have been.

these modern cars do save lives, i cant drive around in a dinosaur anymore, my wife drives the 110 more than me with my kids, frightening.
Post #288574 8th Dec 2013 12:28pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not sure if I agree. I can't help but think that the modern cars promote speed and speed kills.

That said there's no denying the modern cars have oodles of advantages in terms of safety but prevention is better than cure so to speak.

Glad no one hurt.
Post #288579 8th Dec 2013 12:57pm
T1G UP

i was obeying the speed limit and was driving in accordance with the conditions.

you cant prevent other peoples actions.

try the "elk test" in a 110 at 50 mph............
Post #288580 8th Dec 2013 1:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
"Not sure if I agree. I can't help but think that the modern cars promote speed and speed kills."

Think have to agree there, okay the Defender isn't uber luxurious but at least you feel in control and you can get a good feel for your speed.
Euro boxes tend to be likes sitting in your living room on your sofa / couch yet you are driving at 70mph.
Fine until something happens...
Chances are probably if you were in the 110 it wouldn't have happened.
Only thing I think the Puma Defender should have had is airbags, yes extra expense but the US might have consider it more too = more sales.
But no..
Anyway glad no one was hurt, where was it? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #288581 8th Dec 2013 1:02pm
sweepc

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I agree that the defenders lack in modern safety features, but can i ask what what you think would have caused the serious injury in the defender? I would imagine the worst things would be if it rolled or a side impact?
Post #288583 8th Dec 2013 1:05pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
T1gup

Wasn't really referring to your incident but more of a general / sweeping statement.

And possibly move of a general statement towards the vast number of morons on the roads today.....there seems to be no end of oblivious idiots on the who have lost all understanding of how to drive...so long as THEY get to their destination they care what carnage that's left behind them.

Defender drivers appear to be more considerate and tuned into what they are actually doing.....driving.

I appreciate that sounds incredibly biased but I believe it's true?
Post #288587 8th Dec 2013 1:15pm
T1G UP

try this in a 110

also how would a 110 fare in this test.

the tests dont apply to defnder because its a commercial vehicle.hence i cant find the test. but the new 2014 RR test somes up my accident quiet well.....

Last edited by T1G UP on 8th Dec 2013 1:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #288593 8th Dec 2013 1:26pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Come on guys, yes we all love our Defender's and desperately try to make them out to be better than they really are to justify our ownership (myself included), but this is one area where the Defender is never going to win. I agree entirely with Tig on this one.

There is an argument that Defender drivers maybe tend to be driving slower and are perhaps more aware of the conditions etc. than drivers of more modern cars, but, as Tig says, a lot of accidents involve two parties, and if the other person does something stupid, no amount of careful driving on your part is going to change that.

It is something I am very aware of, especially when travelling with passengers in the back of my 90. If I were to be rear-ended at speed by a large vehicle and someone was in the back seats, I would hate to think what the consequences would be as the spare wheel gets pushed into the passenger space. Defender's have absolutely no energy-absorbing capability in terms of crumple zones. You get hit hard and you'll feel it - hard. If a Defender hits a solid object head on, it just stops. There's no crumple zone to provide some deceleration.

And similarly, if a Defender hits another vehicle at moderate speed, the same applies - it's like being hit by a concrete block, there's very little to deform and absorb the energy. Combined with the fact that most of the hard bits of a Defender are right in line with the other vehicles occupants.

I'm not doom-mongering, but we must be realistic. The Defender is not a safe car, not by modern standards. Yes, we would like to think that we are a special breed who drive carefully, but everyone will tell you that they drive carefully. Sometimes I'm a Defender driver, sometimes I'm a Golf driver, I'm still the same person behind the wheel with the same reaction times and same abilities. God forbid I were ever involved in a serious accident, or any member of my family, I know where I'd rather be, and my family members. Modern passenger car every time.

Glad everyone was OK Tig. Cars can be replaced. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #288594 8th Dec 2013 1:26pm
jimbob7

Caterham wrote:
Not sure if I agree. I can't help but think that the modern cars promote speed and speed kills.

That said there's no denying the modern cars have oodles of advantages in terms of safety but prevention is better than cure so to speak.

Glad no one hurt.

Not so much speed kills but over confidence leading to inappropriate driving, either way, replace the drivers airbag with a steel spike watch the accident rate plummet Thumbs Up . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #288597 8th Dec 2013 1:30pm
T1G UP

Green Machine wrote:
Come on guys, yes we all love our Defender's and desperately try to make them out to be better than they really are to justify our ownership (myself included), but this is one area where the Defender is never going to win. I agree entirely with Tig on this one.

There is an argument that Defender drivers maybe tend to be driving slower and are perhaps more aware of the conditions etc. than drivers of more modern cars, but, as Tig says, a lot of accidents involve two parties, and if the other person does something stupid, no amount of careful driving on your part is going to change that.

It is something I am very aware of, especially when travelling with passengers in the back of my 90. If I were to be rear-ended at speed by a large vehicle and someone was in the back seats, I would hate to think what the consequences would be as the spare wheel gets pushed into the passenger space. Defender's have absolutely no energy-absorbing capability in terms of crumple zones. You get hit hard and you'll feel it - hard. If a Defender hits a solid object head on, it just stops. There's no crumple zone to provide some deceleration.

And similarly, if a Defender hits another vehicle at moderate speed, the same applies - it's like being hit by a concrete block, there's very little to deform and absorb the energy. Combined with the fact that most of the hard bits of a Defender are right in line with the other vehicles occupants.

I'm not doom-mongering, but we must be realistic. The Defender is not a safe car, not by modern standards. Yes, we would like to think that we are a special breed who drive carefully, but everyone will tell you that they drive carefully. Sometimes I'm a Defender driver, sometimes I'm a Golf driver, I'm still the same person behind the wheel with the same reaction times and same abilities. God forbid I were ever involved in a serious accident, or any member of my family, I know where I'd rather be, and my family members. Modern passenger car every time.

Glad everyone was OK Tig. Cars can be replaced.

my sentiments exactly.

i bought the 110 with my eyes wide open to its "features" or lack of them. BUt never actually been in that situation never gave me the insight.

ive had the insight! scarey stuff.
Post #288600 8th Dec 2013 1:39pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
As someone who has had accident in a defender which resulted in it being written off, every panel was bent and the body mounts sheered not to mention wrecked gearbox and diffs all I can say is thank god I was driving a Defender, both my wife and I could walk away from it. I shudder to think what would have happened if we were in a Euro box. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #288602 8th Dec 2013 1:45pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
And wasn't there an 'official' statistic a couple or so years ago stating that for RTA death/injuries , The Defender was THE safest car to be contained in?

Glad you are ok Tig ... but cant agree with your sentiments .. Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #288606 8th Dec 2013 1:58pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Having been in a Defender where chassis was bent, front axle bent, rock and tree slider bent, wheel sheared off stub axle, what was damage to myself?

Apart from maybe dented ego, not a single bruise!

That impact in a Euro box? I would dread to think!

Yes the Defender would probably fail the Elk test, but seeing how car drivers manage to put their Euro box on their side/roof on a clear day, dry and straight road in this locality I will not worry about the Elk test.

Moral of these stories? WEAR A SEAT BELT drive to the conditions and within both your capabilities and the capabilities of the vehicle.

That other driver should be prosecuted for the kid not wearing a seat belt as it is the drivers responsibility.

Yes a Defender lacks air bags, lacks crumple zones but has a big strong chassis Thumbs Up

Brendan

PS In Denmark a few years ago I saw a 110 which had run into the back of a stationary HGV at about 50mph. Driver had fallen asleep, no braking, no evasive action. Front end was a complete mess, engine shifted backwards by about 6". Drivers injuries? A broken nose from impacting steering wheel!

Last edited by leeds on 8th Dec 2013 2:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #288611 8th Dec 2013 2:08pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I too love my Defender, but it cannot compete with modern cars in an accident. The only structural integrity it has is within the ladder chassis. This is a simple box section design with no impact absorption, save that of the metal itself. No side impact protection, no airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners and hard facias are all a recipe for pain if you are unfortunate to be in a Defender during a major impact.

I have had a crash in an MOD Defender several years ago and I was very lucky not to be very seriously injured in the crash. I was hit by a VW Passat, the occupants of which were just shock up and walked away. I spent time in hospital.

Look at this Discovery which is similar in terms of construction to a Defender.

Dont kid yourselves, Defenders cannot compete with modern vehicles for safety.
Post #288612 8th Dec 2013 2:12pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I got rear ended by a Renault Espace many years ago. The type of Renault Espace used in that Fifth gear video.

About 90 seconds after impact that Espace slowly become an inferno. This was apparently a common feature in the Espace! Now image being trapped within that Espace?

Now where are those photos of a D3/4 in the accident in South Africa?

Brendan
Post #288619 8th Dec 2013 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>