Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
ibexman wrote:
Defender TD5 with puma interior i would buy one tomorrow Wink Wink

Which gearbox though??

I think i would want the R380 because the clutch actually works and by the sounds of it, its a stronger box. But 6 speeds would be nice!
Post #35635 5th Jul 2010 3:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discocuzzy

England 
As soon as mine is out of warranty TDV6 for me with an autobox Thumbs Up

I found the TD5 in my last vehicle to be great but no low down grunt compared to the puma....following Sonic up some mountain passes in the pyrenees, i was always up and down the gear box thrashing it to death followed by big plumes of black smoke...it was slightly tuned mind Whistle
Sonic just stayed in 4th gear and drove out of site.....as soon a we returned to the uk i traded it in within a week for a puma.
Must admit a it made a lovely noise, i think with a variable vane turbo, it might have increased the low down grunt.

Older versions noisy though compared to the Puma. You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #35662 6th Jul 2010 12:02am
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I have both, or should I say share both with the boss lady. TD5 90 and an SVX Puma 110. For me the 90 is tops. Around town much easear to drive and in the bush I dont think any 4x4 can compare. Where the Puma wins is long distance runs at 110-130km per hour, and long hauls towing the boat.This type of driving is fantastic in a Puma . Horses for coarses I suppose. Reliability, due to clutch issues, I would go with the TD5 at this stage but I think they will fix that problem. If I had to sell one due to a death in the family, the Puma would go Wink

Allan
Post #36152 13th Jul 2010 4:30pm
dgardel

Italy 
The. Company transit puma that we have (2007) is near atto 320000 km and run very well w/o smoke and w/o eating oil.

Minor problems on EGR (like the 99% of the other car makers) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #36171 13th Jul 2010 7:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Setok

Finland 
The Puma is definitely quieter and more comfortable, with more grunt. The lower first and high 6th can also be beneficial. However it's not all good news: I prefer the old style bonnet. I prefer having more aluminium versus the increased amount of steel (= rust and weight) in the Puma. I like the old style vents: they give a nice blast of fresh air, when required, and help to keep the vehicle cool when parked. I prefer the sound of the Td5. I prefer the more utilitarian dashboard with bits and pieces screwed together. Seems like that would be easier for maintenance and I just think that kind of feel works in a Defender. I prefer the flip benches at the rear: great for sitting around changing gear, or enjoying a burger. I've read the TD5 has better fuel economy too. Plus they do seem to be more solid.

I don't own a Defender myself (although want one), but I have been driving around in both. If I had all the money in the world it would be hard deciding which I'd go for!
Post #36978 25th Jul 2010 1:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I find it funny when the TD5 came out it was hated and had its problems for about 3 + years.

I personally never liked it - however, the TDCi engine is used in loads of vehicles from vans to fiestas and it racks up many miles.

For me the TDCi engine whips the td(read Censored )5 and the puma defender package takes all of the rest.

I was at a friends farm, on a minor road that runs through it - 1in4 or worse hill. The TD5 always struggled, which is why i got rid. Now the 300 and the puma in defender and discovery guise runs straight up it. It wasnt just that car or me - the TD5 engine just isnt that good low down, or high up - sorry Whistle Mike
Post #36992 25th Jul 2010 5:12pm
Setok

Finland 
Don't get me wrong, I do think the TDCi is probably the better engine (at least for just driving around), and the gears are nicer, but I'm still fond of the vents and the old dash and aluminium.
Post #36996 25th Jul 2010 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12