↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Fuel regulator fitted on wrong head?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Veedal

United Kingdom 
Fuel regulator fitted on wrong head?
Hi people!

After some knowledge on this TD5 on an 1999. This is my fathers run about for a threw years until one day it decided not to fire up!
Any way had a look over and found a lot of air in the fuel system. Looking over some of the forums and have changed the bleed valve in the filter housing and then had the injectors out and change the seals. Which looks like the main problem.
But under able to get her going. I'm question that this has the right fuel reg housing fitted. Why, it looks like the cylinder head has been off at some time may a diffrent head? On the reg fitted is has two pipes fitted, fuel in and fuel return going to the cooler. But it has a 3rd which has been blank off with a pipe fitting and a ball bearing stuffed up inside, I have taken off the reg housing off the head, and there is only one hole that the fuel can enter the cylinder head. So I'm thinking that I need to put the 3rd pipe on the reg housing but not sure where this goes to on the head. Can any one put some light on this?

Cheers
Post #282815 16th Nov 2013 10:55pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
There are 2 different FPR's one for the earlier 10p engines and one for the later 15p.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

One with the return inside the head and one outside ...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #282829 17th Nov 2013 12:22am
Veedal

United Kingdom 
I'm thinking that's the lower picture that you have posted is what cylinder head is fitted, but i do not that return pipe/hose that goes along the inlet manifold to the front of the engine as this is missing. Do you have any clear pictures where this pipe connects on to (not the reg end) As there few things that have been blank off in that area and not td5 born and breed person. It looks like some one has carried out some wrong work? Thanks for the post.
Post #282833 17th Nov 2013 12:45am
defninety

1985 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
First thing would be to try and confirm what head and/or engine is fitted to the vehicle. Has it be replaced at some point? If it is all original then is should be a 10P and have the internal return line in the head as shown in the first pic Anderzander has posted.

It may be possible that someone has fitted the wrong regulator and blanked off the return line. The regulators are not interchangeable so would cause a problem.

If you can post some pics of what it look like, I am sure we could advise what you have. I have attached some pics of the two regulators and where the return union is on the front of the head on the later engines, you can just make out the new pipe in the pic. Hopefully it may help.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by defninety on 17th Nov 2013 9:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #283036 17th Nov 2013 9:36pm
Veedal

United Kingdom 
Thank gents, looks like the return pipe at the front of the head has been blanked and at the reg as well. Not sure why?
I have had few fittings around the garage and connected this up, not the best job but its running. Order up a new hose next week to do the job right. Keep the old man off my back!

Question, looking at the two regs on the pictures posted they look the same a part for the third hose, is the reg set at the same pressure on both regs?
Post #283082 17th Nov 2013 10:56pm
dorstsmith2

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
the working presser is same yes
Post #283090 17th Nov 2013 11:29pm
Veedal

United Kingdom 
Just to say thanks for the help!

Thanks
Luke
Post #283350 18th Nov 2013 10:40pm
defninety

1985 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Glad to hear you have it back up and running!
Post #283444 19th Nov 2013 10:56am
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Lukey!

You took your time didn't you to get the old mans motor running!!!!😉 Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #284341 22nd Nov 2013 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1