↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 fuel leakage on top of tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dragon

Netherlands 
TD5 fuel leakage on top of tank
I am driving a Defender TD5 MY 2002 Station wagon. And I have a problem, diesel fuel is leaking on top of the fueltank.
Anyone who removed or worked on the plastic fueltank problably noticed the commections between the 4 fuel hoses and the fuelpomp. It is like a click system. The fuelhoses stick into the top of the fuelpomp and small O-rings in the fuelpump housing are supposed to seal the fuellines and prefent them from leaking. If I go to the dealer they will replace the fuelpump.

In my my opinion that won't cure the problem. The fuellines are short and difficult to fit on the fuel pump, if there is a sideway strenghts on them it will cause pressure on the O-rings and they will leak. Big Cry

Anyone have an idea what the best solution is for this problem or idea for a modification ?

If possible I want to keep my fuelpump any idea what I can do seal the connections or improve them ?

Thanks for your help.
Hans
Post #22225 16th Jan 2010 2:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
My friend had this problem, turned out it was lots of dirt in the tank which was blocking the pump and the connections was the next weakest point. In the end it burned out his pump and it was only when it was removed that you could see the dirt! WOrth while checking as it will only cost you the time to do it.
Post #22244 16th Jan 2010 5:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dragon

Netherlands 
tank leakage
Thanks for your advise. Last summer I completely removed the tank and changed the O-rings in de fuelpump housing. Like you said, the weakest point. I thought that i have fixed it, but now 6 month later the problem comes again and I can see a drop of diesel hanging on the lowest point under my fueltank.
Post #22264 16th Jan 2010 9:18pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Check mice haven't nibbled your lines, they like sitting on top of the tank. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #22276 17th Jan 2010 8:51am
dragon

Netherlands 
sorry, but my english is not good enough to understand what you mean by Mice. Can you explain what your suggestion is to fix this problem ? thanx for your help !
Post #22293 17th Jan 2010 8:48pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
dragon, Mice it is being a rodent like a small Rat.....meaning it could have bitten you're fuel lines Thumbs Up

....Mice..Muizen....................................Rat...Rata NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #22294 17th Jan 2010 8:56pm
dragon

Netherlands 
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I understand Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

is there anybody who knows where you can buy fuelline connectors. I mean the self-closing click connections often used in motor-racing. I am considering using them instead of the plastic fuelline connectors standard used by landrover. Did you know that on the fuelpump and housing comes from BMW !!! Defender MY 2002.
Post #22299 17th Jan 2010 10:03pm
dantastic

United Kingdom 
I'm sooo glad I found this thread. I have this problem on my 2002 110 and it's driving me crazy - I haven't figured out why it's leaking.

Everything here seems to match what I'm seeing on mine.

I will have to drop my tank completely and clean it out and change the O rings.

Any good suggestions hot to clean it out and what I need to clean exactly?

The O rings, what exact O rings do I need? I imagine they should be fairy exact?

To those that have been through this already the more info you can give me the better - really appreciate it!

(Sorry about the old-thread bump but this is the only thread on the internet that actually describe the problem)
Post #31398 4th May 2010 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1