Home > Technical > Td5 - No indicators or hazard lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
under_rover

2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Td5 - No indicators or hazard lights
Hi,

The indicators and hazard lights have just packed in on my 110. Any ideas welcome please....
I've checked both fuses (indicators and hazard), there's no water in fittings and they happily flash away when arming and disarming the alarm.

Much head scratching Rolling Eyes

cheers
Post #277782 29th Oct 2013 4:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the hazard light switch is functioning correctly and it's a secure connection. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #277783 29th Oct 2013 4:46pm
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
Good chance that the hazard switch is housing gremlins.
Post #277784 29th Oct 2013 4:46pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
on that front, i have a rdx led relay and leds all round, my indicators all work, but my hazards dont at all, does this mean that it is the hazard switch as well?
Post #277790 29th Oct 2013 5:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
It might be that the hazard light system uses another relay which needs to be suitable for LEDs too. Just an educated assumption but cannot say for sure. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #277793 29th Oct 2013 5:16pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
There is only 1 relay for the indicators (both hazard and directional)
Post #277795 29th Oct 2013 5:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ah, I stand corrected then Matt. Thumbs Up Probably switch issues then. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #277796 29th Oct 2013 5:20pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I think you are right Steve Thumbs Up
Post #277797 29th Oct 2013 5:23pm
under_rover

After a quick dashboard removal.... the finger of suspicion is now pointing to the relay playing up Thumbs Up
Post #277798 29th Oct 2013 5:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Swap it out for a new one then, they are quite cheap. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #277799 29th Oct 2013 5:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Will.I.AM wrote:
on that front, i have a rdx led relay and leds all round, my indicators all work, but my hazards dont at all, does this mean that it is the hazard switch as well?

Generally a defective hazard switch will cause the indicators to fail as well, since the normal indicators are wired via the hazard switch. I suspect the problem may lie elsewhere but since it is very easy to swap the hazard switch to eliminate it I'd be inclined to try that first.
Post #277834 29th Oct 2013 6:56pm
under_rover

All fixed.... It was the flasher relay in the end up Very Happy
Post #278007 30th Oct 2013 1:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #278009 30th Oct 2013 1:21pm
tpy

France 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Will.I.AM wrote:

Generally a defective hazard switch will cause the indicators to fail as well, since the normal indicators are wired via the hazard switch. I suspect the problem may lie elsewhere but since it is very easy to swap the hazard switch to eliminate it I'd be inclined to try that first.

Is there any way to test the hazard switch and the flasher unit to see if one of these two is faulty before buying new ones? I must have fried something while trying to figure out the reason for my indicators not working properly after driving under heavy snow fall. I replaced the blown fuses, took down, cleaned and dried the four indicator bulbs and connectors, then fit them back on one by one. Things were going fine until I reconnected the fourth (RR) indicator light, then everything went dead again. Admittedly, I had put a 15amp fuse where it should have been a 10 so instead of frying my last spare fuse I destroyed something more expensive, but what?
Post #315231 11th Mar 2014 1:28pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The honest answer to that is, unfortunately, not easily. Substitution is the easiest method.

The hazard switch has 7 pins in the rear connector (excluding those for the internal illumination of the switch).

Pin 1 is an ignition-controlled feed from CJB fuse 21 (10 Amps) and with the Hazard switch in the OFF position this is (I believe) connected to Pin 3, which provides power to Pin 6 of the flasher unit. With the Hazard switch in the ON position this is not connected to any other pins.

Pin 2 is a permanent live feed from CJB fuse 31 (15 Amps). With the Hazard switch OFF this is not connected to any other pins, but with the Hazard switch ON this is connected to Pin 3, which - as above - provides power to Pin 6 of the flasher unit.

Pin 6 of the Hazard switch is connected to Pin 8 of the Flasher unit and Pin 3 of the stalk switch. This is in effect the 'output side' of the flasher unit and is used as an input to both Hazard and stalk switches. With the Hazard switch OFF it is not connected to any other pins of the Hazard switch, but with the Hazard switch ON it is connected to both Pin 7 and Pin 9 of the Hazard switch (see below).

Pin 7 of the Hazard switch is connected to Pin 4 of the stalk switch, all the nearside (left hand) indicator light units, and Pin 8 of the AS10 alarm unit (to allow the alarm to flash the lights).

Pin 9 of the Hazard switch is connected to Pin 2 of the stalk switch, all the offside (right hand) indicator light units, and Pin 1 of the AS10 alarm unit (to allow the alarm to flash the lights).

Pin 8 of the Hazard switch is connected to Pin 21 of the IPAC, probably to illuminate the warning light.

The connector shell has two rows each of five receptacles, the top row pins are numbered from 1 to 5, left to right viewed from the front of the connector, and the bottom row from 6 to 10, left to right from front.

So for testing purposes, if you pop the Hazard switch out of the dash, unplug it from its connector, and can find a way of safely temporarily connecting the pins in the socket, you could try the following:-

1) Connect Pin 1 to Pin 3. This will mimic the switch being in the OFF position, and with the ignition ON the stalk switch should function normally.

2) Connect Pin 1 to Pin 2 and connect Pins 6, 7 and 9 together. This will mimic the switch being in the ON position and should flash all indicators (except the warning on the dash).

It seems to me to be more likely that you have a faulty flasher unit than switch, and to test this you could try removing the relay from its socket and connecting a (fused) 12v supply to Pin 8 of the flasher unit socket. In this condition the stalk switch should turn on the nearside (LH) or offside (RH) indicator lamps, although obviously they won't flash, they;ll just be on, and the Hazard switch should turn on both sides.

The connector for the flasher unit (or "Relay - Hazard Warning" as LR call it) has 9 receptacles arranged in three rows of three. The lowest row is numbered 1 to 3, right to left viewed from the front, the centre row is 4 to 6 right to left, and the top row 7 to 9. Only receptacles 2, 4, 6 and 8 contain contacts.

DISCLAIMER - This information is based on my assessment of the circuit diagrams and personal experience, but if you try it you do so at your own risk. I will not be held liable for any consequences. Thumbs Up
Post #315254 11th Mar 2014 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>