↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Rotten Door Bottoms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Rotten Door Bottoms
Hello! My drivers door latch seized and after removing the door card I noticed that theirs only half a door bottom left!A quick search of eBay and I've found some repair panels .Has anyone done this repair and how difficult is it? The passenger door bottom looks just as bad Big Cry
Post #276992 26th Oct 2013 7:46pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
dont believe its too difficult but you need to be handy with a welder and angle grinder! you can get the door bottom repair peices from YRM too.
Post #277016 26th Oct 2013 8:48pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
On my list of things to do as well! They all suffer from it unfortunately. YRM is the place to get the repair sections from Smile

For what it's worth it doesn't really cause any show-stopping issues. Both doors on my 90 have been well rotten for at least the five and a half years I've owned it, and I imagine since well before that too. The only issue I have had with it is with the passenger door as the frame has rotted higher up and so the door doesn't close too well now as the frame is effectively in several pieces being held together by the skin. But other than that it causes no issues other than aesthetics.
Post #277019 26th Oct 2013 8:56pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
when my doors get beyond repair im thinking a pair of those GRP doors would be just the ticket.
Post #277026 26th Oct 2013 9:15pm
Ellisboy

Cheers for the YRM link,mine have also been rusty for a few years,but I'm now undertaking some mild restoration as I live by the sea! Also the vent flap pins have rotted badly.I have my eye on some of those stainless ones and new rubbers next.
Post #277037 26th Oct 2013 9:52pm
mal4936

not hard to do
remove door /door card / you often find some of the side rail needs cutting out as well only a couple of inches.
no problem if using yrm part as it comes with extra for this .some other parts from other places don't and are only about half as thick .easiest way lie door flat on outer face you can normally fold outer skin back enough to remove rotten section after cutting at corners .once skin is folded back you can slide a bit of scrap plate between outer skin and door rail to be cut as to prevent damage from cutting disk to outer skin .once cut out its just a case of measure cut and weld in new section .once welded before folding skin back over make sure it gets a coat of zink rich primer if poss get it right down between skin and new panel then when dry do the same with a good quality body sealer . seal fold of skin with same sealer .now male sure skin side is on a nice flat surface and fold skin down with a rubber /hide mallet .when set get plenty of paint on inside of door .when doing them for other peeps i always drill and waxoil all sections .hope this helps. go on get it done you will wonder what all the fuss was about and have that nice solid clunk as your door closes cheers mal
Post #294996 1st Jan 2014 10:18pm
Ellisboy

Thanks Mal! Thumbs Up
Post #295044 2nd Jan 2014 8:40am
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Have an look at Mosside land rovers on face book

they will repair and galv defender doors for £100 per door. so you can have galved doors for an fraction of the cost Very Happy 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #295068 2nd Jan 2014 10:58am
simonb1952

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I had a go at this the other week. I'm probably average at DIY. There's no way I'm doing it again. This is a job for people who know what they're doing, IMHO.

For non experts, please bear in mind:

1. Old (13 years in my case) doors don't like being taken apart, and like being put back together even less.
2. The aluminium skin is very fragile, and if you bend it, it won't go back properly.

I got a small repair section in place eventually, but it was a long job to get it looking OK.

£100 a door strikes me as a bargain.
Post #295439 3rd Jan 2014 2:46pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Edit nevermind.

They are in Manchester area? 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #295455 3rd Jan 2014 3:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1