↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Front air vent flaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Papa Lazarou

United Kingdom 
Front air vent flaps
I've had my 2005 DC for a few months now but I'm just getting around to sorting the front air vent flaps out. Basically they don't shut Laughing I know that it's difficult to get a decent seal even when they're closing properly, but these aren't getting near fully closed. The levers inside are working freely but won't push all the way up to locate in the top notch.

I suspect it's something to do with the seals. Mine are rubber. From what I've read on here, I'm guessing that these aren't original. Can somebody confirm that 2005MY would be the foam seals originally? Also, the rubber seals on mine are mounted on the flaps themselves. I've read that the rubber seals should be stuck to the bulkhead instead - is that right?

Could this be why the flaps won't close? I can't work out whether it would make a difference or not regarding closing. Or is it more likely to be something bent in the mechanism?

Cheers.
Post #273463 13th Oct 2013 7:13pm
DRW58

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi I took mine off in the Summer and found the mechanism was seized making them difficult to open or shut.
Mine have the foam seals and even once sorted still allow some draughts through, but what a difference.
It's easy but fiddly to do, just use plenty penetrating fluid to loosen the moving parts, the hardest part was putting the bolts back into the back of the flap....if I dropped them once....say no more!!!!
Hope this helps
DRW I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #273485 13th Oct 2013 8:09pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Check hinges are straight and not bent, make sure bolts through bulkhead and vent hinges are free moving.

Thy seals should be rubber and attached to the flap not bulkhead, that's the older ones, and if changing, main dealer parts only.

Andy
Post #273490 13th Oct 2013 8:19pm
jimbob7

This /\/\/\ I replaced the seized, rusty vent pins wi stainless jobbies, pita to get the olds ones out tho.
Post #273510 13th Oct 2013 9:12pm
Papa Lazarou

United Kingdom 
Ok, thanks Thumbs Up Everything seems free moving with the mechanism though so I don't think that anything's seized. If the rubber seals are definitely supposed to be mounted to the flaps themselves, then I'll have a look at the hinges again. There's no obvious bend in them but maybe it wouldn't take much to stop the flaps closing fully?

When I push the levers fully up to close the flaps, there is some resistance there and they bounce back down without locating in the notch. It's difficult to describe but it's kind of a soft squashy resistance, which is why I suspected the rubber seals. Maybe bent pins or hinges could give the same effect though?
Post #273568 14th Oct 2013 12:35am
SGoggin

When my TD5 was new, the dealer fitted Series 3 Rubber vent seals to the flaps to fix a leak in the roof... (Well they tried at least.)

But the problem with these seals - for me at least was that they were way too fat, and the result was the flaps would not latch shut. They tried bending the hinges to make them work - but they were just to hard and fat to fit. In the end they ripped the rubber seals off and replaced them with the correct flat foam seals that stuck to the vent flaps. They have been there for 10 years and worked perfectly.

The roof still leaks though...
Post #273572 14th Oct 2013 4:34am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Mine had the same symptoms of not latching on the top notch and as said by jimbob the pins were rusty and seized. If you open the flaps and look underneath there are two 10mm bolts. Undo the bolts and lift the flap manually while spraying lots of wd40 on the pins and work the flap up and down for a couple of mins. After doing this mine closed easily.
Post #273599 14th Oct 2013 9:20am
Papa Lazarou

United Kingdom 
Cheers, I'll give that a go then Thumbs Up The hinges look ok so hopefully this will sort it out.

Failing that, how much of a PITA was it to remove the old pins and replace with stainless jimbob? It'll either be doing that or replacing the rubber seals with the foam ones as suggested.
Post #273951 15th Oct 2013 9:26am
jimbob7

Mine were bad, took me over 3 hours to get them out,I think Question you can take the flaps with one or both pins still in but be careful those hinges bend quite easily,so lots of penetrating fluid a good few days before you do the job (still haven't bought Plusgas which is the best,I used GT85 which is better and cheaper than WD40).
Also used a pair of mole grips to try and turn the pins but didn't work initially so just kept spraying more lube into it,you may also need a suitable sized drift to help knock the pin out,especially when the pin shears at one end whilst using mole grips Whistle .When you open and close the flaps,you will see which hinge has seized.
The new stainless jobbies popped straight in.
Post #273966 15th Oct 2013 11:12am
Papa Lazarou

United Kingdom 
That doesn't sound like much fun Shocked I'm hoping I don't have to take the pins out then Laughing I'll have a go at sprayng everything and trying to get a bit more movement in the flaps then. Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #274140 15th Oct 2013 10:59pm
DRW58

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Definitely need plenty of lubrication, you certainly don't want sticky flaps...or so I hear Embarassed
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #274275 16th Oct 2013 6:00pm
Papa Lazarou

United Kingdom 
Took the advice on this thread and got it sorted Thumbs Up Thankfully I didn't have to resort to removing the pins, just plenty of WD40 over a couple of days and a lot of jiggling Laughing They both close fully now so that should make things marginally warmer and quieter. Thanks for your help Thumbs Up
Post #275410 20th Oct 2013 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1