↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Which are the best year/model TD5s to look for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
scotsstag wrote:

Only fault it's EVER had is oil in the loom which seemed to be from lack of use when I laid it up for a few months.. Confused

Laying it up, or not laying it up, will have no bearing on the oil-in-the-loom problem. Since LR have never sealed the injector harness connector in the cambox properly (and still don't) it is highly likely that sooner or later all Td5s will suffer from this problem. The good thing is it is easy to fix, not especially expensive, and if sorted out properly will never recur.

My personal view is that after a few early issues were sorted, the 2002-on Td5 engine was probably the best "in-house" engine that Landrover ever developed for the Defender, and it is a shame that development of the planned range was curtailed. After 2002, the reliability of the vehicle is more down to how it's been used and looked after. You could have a brilliant '02 and a nightmare '07, or vice versa.

There are weaknesses with the engine and with the vehicle (eg the fuel pressure regulator (which is really a service item), the DMF flywheel and clutch isn't great, the steering box is prone to leak, etc) but on the whole it is a great engine and very high mileages are achievable.
Post #279959 6th Nov 2013 9:51am
Postmanpat

Ireland 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
would agree there , post 2002 bit of luck and good looking after will do many miles ... Postmanpat
Post #281871 13th Nov 2013 4:38pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
My 05 had a new gearbox (Ashcroft) when the mainshaft bearings went at 22K miles.
A new fuel pump at 45K and a recent (70K) Injector wiring harness.
It goes from one annual service to the next without topping up anything other than the screenwash bottle.
It has never leaked a drop of oil. 
Post #281874 13th Nov 2013 4:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Postmanpat

Ireland 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
mine is a2004 and has 80K miles done , i know its not a hole lot compared to many others around here but has never needed anything else then the wiring harness and a yearly service / check whichs i conduct myself .
Never left me down and no drops / leaks of oil either sofar ... Postmanpat
Post #281878 13th Nov 2013 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12