Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Alarm weaknesses
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Alarm weaknesses
Hi Mike,

I'm sure you've read on here and indeed elsewhere, how relatively easy it is to defeat the factory Defender alarm system.

Sadly, it seems typically, that the thieves seem to know more about these things than the owners and I would be very interested to know what JLR's policy currently is towards advising its customers of the potential risks (not every Defender owner frequents the forums).

I do accept that the introduction of a battery backed up alarm sounder fitted as standard from MY2012 (please correct me if I have the year wrong, I'm not 100% on that) is a positive step but it strikes me that this action has been taken too late and I believe that the location of the sounder itself is outside of an area protected by the perimetric alarm.

This clearly is an issue that has been around for a good few years, and has been raised with JLR before - see http://www.landrover-defender.org.uk/

Accepting that the vehicle is reaching the end of its production life and you will not re-invent the wheel but a couple of simple alterations would make a positive difference.

It's been mentioned before on this forum that in theory, the latest Pumas alarm systems could qualify for Cat 1 status as they have all the elements. Have you submitted one to Thatcham and if so, what were their findings ?

I'd be very interested in JLR's stance on all this

Cheers, Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #268488 22nd Sep 2013 9:49am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Recently BMW have overcome the issue with the OBD port being used to re-program keys. Reading the RS Owners forum this morning, it's not just land rovers being stolen to order Sad
Post #268511 22nd Sep 2013 11:24am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
a little Off Topic here but security related.

alot of unfortunate folk are having them nicked off their drive....so how about making your drive more secure......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Weatherpr...iveway+pir
Post #268518 22nd Sep 2013 11:39am
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
I tell you what I have done: I've fitted one of my house wireless sensors into mine. Battery powered, sets off the house alarm if tampered or anybody gets in the car. They can spend all the time they want disabling the car alarm, but the house alarm will still go off..... Mind you, when we go out and leave the house alarmed, sometimes we do set it off as we pull on the drive. Good job our neighbours are a good bunch!
Post #268676 23rd Sep 2013 12:01am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
After replacing my battery recently, I realised the alarm didn't go off when it was disconnected (several times) Shocked
Its an MY2012 (I think) - one of the last 2.4s. Does anyone know how easy it is to upgrade to a backed-up version? (and how much it costs) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #269853 27th Sep 2013 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1