Home > Td5 > TD5 110 CSW Intermittent start problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
TD5 110 CSW Intermittent start problem
Hi,

Firstly apologies as I know there are other posts that are out there with similar content but I just wanted your opinions on this. Confused

My wife is driving the Landy today and text me to say it wouldnt start properly this morning, that is all the detail I have from her but about a month ago the same happened to me. It started then concked out almost immediately and I had to start the fuel purge process to bring him back to life.

Ever since then I have always made sure that when I start him I turn the key to ignition and let the fuel pump run until it goes silent and then I start him up and every time he starts on the first turn.

Now I suspect my wife may have had to let it turn over a few times before he started this morning because she arrived safely at work so no massive drama so I think it may have just taken longer to start than usual.

After the first time it happened I went on a mission to find the liekly culprit and I think my first port of call would be the injector seals. Like I said this has only happened twice but I kind of think that maybe something needs nipping in the bud before it leaves me or my wife stranded.

He runs fine once he's going by the way, no loss of power or stutters.

Would love to hear what you chaps think. Smile Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #266292 13th Sep 2013 1:21pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Couple of easy checks.

Make sure the battery is in good condition. TD5's can play up when starting if the battery is down on power especially as the ecu dictates fuel feed to the engine.

Check all the relays under the drivers seat are firmly seated. One is for the fuel pump etc and can be problematical.

It does sound like some form of fuel feed problem, pump, air getting in the system etc.

Having spent almost a year tracking down strange problems on my TD5 I have now worked out that the not so obvious things do cause strange problems.

Might also be worth pulling the crank sensor to see what sort of condition that is in.

Good luck.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #266384 13th Sep 2013 6:36pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Injector seals would be a good start, perhaps see if there any leaks (of fuel out) around the fuel pressure regulator or cooler, anywhere high up on the vehicle. If the filter hasn't been changed for a while, it might be worth putting a new one on with Vasaline on the seals, just in case the fuel is draining down from there (not so likely). Pre-2002 MY TD5's are more susceptible to low battery voltage on cranking (10.5V) so a really good charge and condition cycle of the battery would rule that one out. Now's the time of the year for battery problems. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #266772 14th Sep 2013 11:00pm
Little Tom

Thanks chaps, very much appreciate the replies, I've only had time to have a very brief look under the driver seat today (was brewing a beer, priorities!)

To my untrained eye it looked very neat and tidy, no rust etc but a couple of drops of oil. I felt under the red ecu socket and there was oil so I guess it's suffering the injector harness oil problem I've read about. I suppowe this could be a red herring with regards to the start problem but I guess worth sorting while I'm at it.

I'm going to check the relays too as soon as I get chance. I'm going to order the injector seals, rocker gasket and injector loom and plan to do it all next weekend, it appears to be a task that a relative New comer can attempt.

Any pointers or tips appreciated but I'm planning on taking pics and doing a kind of step by step thing so you can see my 'handy' work and comment if I've messed it up!

Cheers Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #266917 15th Sep 2013 4:04pm
bob neville

Hi Tom

Oil in the harness is probably the most important thing to do first, it causes many problems Thumbs Up

If there is oil coming out of the red plug be prepared for a week or so of cleaning the plug to make sure all residual oil has gone. Get some spray contact cleaner to help get rid of it.

I would hold fire on the injector seals. If you do replace them get genuine and make sure you get the O rings as well. There are plenty of write ups on the web about how to change them, just be very careful when removing the injectors, don't use force as it is possible to damage the head.

When putting the rocker gasket on make sure the rear crescent is seated correctly, they are notorious for leaking.

Harness and rocker cover should take less than an hour to do. Cleaning the residual oil out of the harness takes as long as it takes the oil to disperse.

Good luck.

Post #266922 15th Sep 2013 4:23pm
Little Tom

Nice one bob Thumbs Up one more quick question with regards the ecu clean up, when disconnecting the red socket do I need to disconnect the battery first and if so I have read about it affecting central locking fobs? Something to do with disconnecting it within 15 seconds? Is this right?

Again I really appreciate your help. Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #266954 15th Sep 2013 5:53pm
bob neville

No need to disconnect the battery to remove the ECU plug but you may feel happier doing the clean up with the battery disconnected.

To disconnect first loosen the NEGATIVE terminal, then key in ignition and turn to position 1, handbook says position 2 but on mine (and a few others I know of) that is wrong, then turn off and remove key and remove negative battery connection within 15 seconds. Then remove the positive.

To reconnected, positive on first then negative. If you follow this procedure the fobs should be fine.

Post #266961 15th Sep 2013 6:02pm
Little Tom

Finally got round to buying the parts for this job, hope the kids like the Christmas presents Wink .

Ive got a new injector harness, injector seals and O rings and a new rocker cover gasket. Hopefully I will get time over the coming weekends to get this sorted.

I was just wondering if this would be an ideal oppurtunity to carry out any other work, things thats would benefit from these new parts? Nothing major just basics.

Cheers Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #287344 3rd Dec 2013 5:07pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Probably worth just sticking to the parts that you have got, and fitting them really well. There isn't a lot more that can be done inside the cam cover, and with the TD5, if it works -- leave it alone!

If your problems are still there after you have done these bits, it will be easier for others to help if you have limited the work to a small group of parts Wink Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #287528 3rd Dec 2013 11:50pm
Little Tom

Good point, I think I was getting a bit carried away. Smile Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #287621 4th Dec 2013 3:31pm
Little Tom

Just 're-fitted the injectors, in the process of winding the engine on manually to adjust them and I can hear a squelching noise when I'm winding it, I didn't get that noise when I was removing them, is that normal? Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #295721 4th Jan 2014 5:55pm
Little Tom

Just 're-fitted the injectors, in the process of winding the engine on manually to adjust them and I can hear a squelching noise when I'm winding it, I didn't get that noise when I was removing them, is that normal? Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #295722 4th Jan 2014 5:56pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes it's the gases from compression, getting passed the valves as they start to open.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up don't worry, it'll be ok

Andy
Post #295725 4th Jan 2014 6:13pm
Mike_B

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Java Black
I had similar symptoms and it was the fuel pump. It would work intermittently. The fact that you said you've used the five press priming method makes me think that it might be a perfectly serviceable pump. If it's intermittent, here's what I did:

If the fault is still there after all your injector work, make a conscious effort to listen for the fuel pump priming when you put the ignition to position II.

If you cant hear if, give the fuel tank a few whacks (hit the steel tank guard!) with a mallet and see if you can hear the pump begin to prime.

Mine did this, fuel pump replaced and running fine now.
Post #295736 4th Jan 2014 6:39pm
Mike_B

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Java Black
I had similar symptoms and it was the fuel pump. It would work intermittently. The fact that you said you've used the five press priming method makes me think that it might be a perfectly serviceable pump. If it's intermittent, here's what I did:

If the fault is still there after all your injector work, make a conscious effort to listen for the fuel pump priming when you put the ignition to position II.

If you cant hear if, give the fuel tank a few whacks (hit the steel tank guard!) with a mallet and see if you can hear the pump begin to prime.

Mine did this, fuel pump replaced and running fine now.
Post #295737 4th Jan 2014 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>