Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Trip to Spain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Trip to Spain
Hi Guys,

Just back from a month's trip to Southern Spain, 6 adults, probably 250kg on the roof, in my Defender, she did 2030 miles, never missed a beat and used no oil, we experienced temperatures exceeding 42 degees C ( well thats when my Lidle OAT gauge gave up Cool.

We had been given the use of an apartment by a friend but camped on the way down and back to Santander. We used a Landie Tent, an RV4 Oztent and a £25 Tesco cheapie. All performed well, but we were really impressed with the Oztent, so simple, it really is a matter of minutes to put it up/down, it's only downside is the weight, whereas I can put it up/down on my own it takes 2 to get it on/off the roof rack. The Landie tent was also quick and easy, actually probably faster than the Oztent if you ignore the pegs! The Tesco tent, well a simple 3 man mini dome tent, took about 5 mins to get up down, the storage bag was too small to re-pack and the zip broke, but it was only £25!

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #264237 6th Sep 2013 2:06pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Great stuff, I spent 5 weeks touring Spain in May this year in the 110... Such a beautiful country. Cue plenty of Defender photos in Spain... Thumbs Up
Post #264244 6th Sep 2013 2:20pm
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Re: Trip to Spain
ChrisCM wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just back from a month's trip to Southern Spain, 6 adults, probably 250kg on the roof, in my Defender, she did 2030 miles, never missed a beat and used no oil, we experienced temperatures exceeding 42 degees C ( well thats when my Lidle OAT gauge gave up Cool.

We had been given the use of an apartment by a friend but camped on the way down and back to Santander. We used a Landie Tent, an RV4 Oztent and a £25 Tesco cheapie. All performed well, but we were really impressed with the Oztent, so simple, it really is a matter of minutes to put it up/down, it's only downside is the weight, whereas I can put it up/down on my own it takes 2 to get it on/off the roof rack. The Landie tent was also quick and easy, actually probably faster than the Oztent if you ignore the pegs! The Tesco tent, well a simple 3 man mini dome tent, took about 5 mins to get up down, the storage bag was too small to re-pack and the zip broke, but it was only £25!

Chris

That sounds like a great trip, were all six of you in the Landy? Cosy! Bet that was a right laugh. Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #264248 6th Sep 2013 2:39pm
ChrisCM

Yes indeed, we were particularly impressed with their road infrastructure, the main motorway to/from Santander is spectacular! Now I know where all the Eutro millions went!

And yes, 1000s of photos, and somehow Landy manages to get into quite a few Very Happy I would have posted some but I'm still having problems getting them on here.

Post #264249 6th Sep 2013 2:42pm
ChrisCM

Yes, six of us, and on the way back + a full sized brass bulldog SWMBO bought in a market Rolling Eyes so he got a seat and seatbelt!

It was a bit tight but we made it a rule to stop every couple of hours so we could stretch our legs, the two in the back managed to arrange themselves in a sort of half lying down position so were quite comfortable and they could see out, those in the 2nd row probably drew the short straw re leg room but managed to sit at an angle so not too bad, I was in the pilots seat so no problem for me Very Happy , SWMBO in the co-pilots, so other than having her several handbags, kitchen sink etc in there with her she was fine.

Post #264251 6th Sep 2013 2:57pm
Little Tom

Never mind the landy photos I want to see the full sized brass bulldog!! Laughing Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #264254 6th Sep 2013 3:13pm
ChrisCM

I"ll se what I can do..... 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #264370 6th Sep 2013 10:57pm
ChrisCM

Here he is, back home now,, btw seems he's called Wellington Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #264440 7th Sep 2013 2:01pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Trip to Spain
ChrisCM wrote:
probably 250kg on the roof

Is that with the rack in your gallery - looks like an LR one? Any issues on the mountings or roof guttering?
Post #264454 7th Sep 2013 3:48pm
ChrisCM

Hi Supacat,

Yes it is a LR one and no, no issues the mountings and gutter are fine, their are 5 large mounting feet per side so it's pretty strong, according to the handbook the roof load limit is 150kg including the rack so not to far over Rolling Eyes ,even the fuel consumption was ok I haven't worked out the mpg exactly but the total fuel cost for the trip was approx £460, which think is pretty reasonable for 2000+ miles, about 25mpg? I have a chequerplate 2x1m sheet on top of the rack and this was a great help. I thoroughly recommend it.

Here is a photo showing it loaded, I was careful to keep the load as low as possible and spread over the roof back from the front.

Click image to enlarge

Post #264456 7th Sep 2013 4:31pm
Supacat

thanks for the info and additional photo Thumbs Up

just weighing up the usefulness of a rack and was impressed with what you managed to get up there. have seen total load weight from 75kg upwards, so yours is quite a significant one and good to know the roof will take it.

Just an update - spoke with one of the Patriot chaps at the LRO Show yesterday. Asked him about the roof loadings and his take on the various limits - 75kg or 150kg I've read about - is that it's not to do with the loadings the roof will take before being damaged but actually the effect weight high up will have on the vehicle's centre of gravity and the quoted lean/tilt angles the vehicle is safe to drive at.

Last edited by Supacat on 9th Sep 2013 3:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #264485 7th Sep 2013 8:16pm
Little Tom

Great pics, loving the bulldog Laughing

He didn't look too chuffed with the journey though! Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #264847 9th Sep 2013 2:37pm
ChrisCM

He probably doesn't appreciate the cold back here in Blighty Evil or Very Mad 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #264851 9th Sep 2013 2:56pm
Supacat

"cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass bulldog" does not have the same ring to it...
Post #264858 9th Sep 2013 3:15pm
Little Tom

Laughing It could catch on! Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #265114 10th Sep 2013 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>