↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > A question for the gearbox/clutch experts out there.......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hxk494

United Kingdom 
A question for the gearbox/clutch experts out there.......
I’m trying to get to the bottom of what may be up with my (relatively new to me) 300tdi D90, (120,000 miles) – it is either gearbox or clutch related but I’m not sure which.

Basically if I depress the clutch and immediately select first gear I get a slight “crunch” through the gearstick – more of a feeling of a crunch rather than an actual audible one. If I depress the clutch, wait a second and then select first then it goes in nice and smoothly. No difference if I pump the clutch a few times either – still get the same feeling if I stick it straight into gear, and if I wait a bit it’s OK. There is no difference between engine/box being hot or cold, first thing in the morning or the end of a long run – I always get the same symptoms.

Initially I thought this was some sort of clutch drag type issue but now I’m not so sure as I don’t get this in any other gear, only first. So, is it something to do with the likes of a synchro ring on first gear? Other than that all is OK with the box, gearchange fine, no strange noises etc. I know the easy answer – wait a second and it’s not a problem! This may be the solution but I would ideally like to get a bit of an idea as to what the problem may be and also if it is likely to get any worse!!

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
Martin. 1996 300Tdi Defender 110
Post #263423 3rd Sep 2013 4:40pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Could be a worn syncro. How old is the oil? My 300 was sticky when I bought it but nice and smooth after an oil change. BM52
Post #263426 3rd Sep 2013 4:48pm
hxk494

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately no idea regards the age of the oil.

That was going to be my next step - change the oil and see if it makes any difference. 1996 300Tdi Defender 110
Post #263538 3rd Sep 2013 9:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would never put a box in gear on a stationary vehicle immediately after depressing the clutch - always wait for the innards to stop spinning first.

Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your 'box.
Post #263577 3rd Sep 2013 10:38pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
I have also had this recently on my 110 1998 Tdi. I had the clutch out for another reason, and was hoping that this would have been fixed as a bonus, but sadly the problem is slightly worse now with the new clutch kit.

I know that my oil is good; I checked the level whilst I had good access through the (missing) centre tunnel cover, and the oil is changed every 24months or 12,000miles regardless. What I am thinking of doing is to go away from an ATF type oil, and find a decent MTF that works for the R380. Has anyone had any good experiences of a particular variety of MTF? I have done lots of Rover car boxes that were obstructive, but not really looked into the LR R380 options until now. Redline MTF is expensive, but I have fixed a couple of PG1's with it. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #263869 4th Sep 2013 11:54pm
jimbob7

I got the impression that "they all do that sir" if there isn't a slight lurch forward/crunch going into first then it wasn't ticked as an option from the dealer,lol.
Regards to wot oil,again from wot I have read, ATF makes the box smoother but MTF protects it better??your choice of manufacturer is rather limited for mtf94, Landrover being one of them, also being unusually cheap(ish).Texaco seem to make it but isn't easy to get hold of. As someone said, push the gear leaver across then hesitate for a second before pushing the gear leaver forward.
Post #264225 6th Sep 2013 12:10pm
Skye_Rover

I am going to have a play with some different ATF's first and see if any difference ensues. The gearchange seems to improve slightly as the oil warms, which would point to a slight drag in the input shaft being the problem. The clutch mechanism is all new, so it might take a few miles to settle down. The gearbox itself has an impeccable feel into all the gears when the engine is off, and the syncromeshes are strong enough to go into any of the gears without a graunch, it's just a bit obstructive when the oil is cold.

The upside of this is that the gearchange through the R230 Tx box is improved at crawling speed, possibly a bit of light drive through the box is helping to align the Tx gears when the output shaft is near-stationary. Thumbs Up Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #264441 7th Sep 2013 2:10pm
landyman37

Try putting it into another gear first to slow the main shaft down then into first if it is ok then you are looking at a worn synchro.

Phil
Post #264804 9th Sep 2013 12:09pm
Skye_Rover

Phil,
There's a bit of improvement by slowing the gears down on the other synchro units, but it's not the whole story. I suspect that if the root causes of the drag can be dealt-with, the (weaker) synchros on 1st and R will be covered-up. Ever the optimist...... Wink Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #265313 10th Sep 2013 8:04pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I have a similarly aged 110 that does the same.
I find I have to anticipate moving away from a stop intraffic by dropping the clutch maybe 4 or 5 seconds before putting the box in gear, otherwise I get a horrendous grinding noise.
My gearbox is in dire need of a refurb, so I was hoping that would fix it. If it is likely ot be a clutch fault, that would be good to know before the gearbox change.
Post #265379 10th Sep 2013 9:36pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not sure if I am giving the right advice here but,

Is it worth checking the master and slave cylinders to make sure they are working. If they aren't clearing the clutch properly then this could cause a crunch.

Then move to a fluid change in the box, has it been changed recently?

Then new clutch if that doesn't work changing the oil seals at the same time.

But I'd start with the hydrolics first.
Post #265415 10th Sep 2013 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1