↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Armadillo+ roof tent- advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rleslie

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
I went to the LRO show at the weekend, with a view of buying a tent. I really liked the idea of a roof tent, spoke to the Hannibal guy, really nice guy. Full of very good product info.... After walking round, looking at most of the shows offerings, I bought an OZTent from Brendan.

3 main reasons for going against a roof tent.

1. We usually camp at campsites and generally use our Landy for nipping to the shops, day trips, etc... the thought of packing up everything every time seems a pain to me, and you could loose your pitch if everything is cleared away. For expedition trips and can see the attraction.
2. In Scotland, we nearly always get rains, so drying out a roof tent would be a pain also, since I don't have a large enough garage to park my Landy and erected roof tent in. Which means taking the tent off and on the roof rack. Too much hassle...
3. Ladder access. up and down..... far easier with a few drinks in to walk in and out a door!

The Oztent in IMO is easy to pitch, seems good quality, and I can add more bits when funds become available. So far the only issue I have with it, is having to transport it on the roof, which in itself is not a problem, but it got soaked on the way home. I've still to open the bag tonight and see how dry the actual tent is. (I don't think the bag it comes in is waterproof) If in the future I need to transport it dry on my roof rack, then that may become an issue!

The joys of british weather!

cheers

Richard
Post #456737 21st Sep 2015 9:45am
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
Welcome to the Oztent family.

We have driven in torrential rain with the RV4 on the roof and the inside of the bag has not got wet although it was a good idea from Ken that you have the zip opening at the end rather than the front when driving and I also have the zip facing the roof rather than the sky Thumbs Up

Cheers

Steve
Post #456763 21st Sep 2015 11:06am
leeds

United Kingdom 
It is a good idea to have the Oztent zip down when on the roof. Must admit I had not thought of what end the actual zip slider should be.. The fabric of the bag is actually waterproof but when you stitch webbing handles on the stitch holes are not 100% waterproof. If you are extremely fussy you could use a seam sealant on the stitching.

However are people being too fussy? Normal way of putting an Oztent away the waterproof ground sheet faces outwards. So does it matter if some water penetrates the outer bag?

It is a good idea to dry both the tent and the poles. Open the poles fully wipe them dry and if need be give them a squirt of water dispersant. Also drill a 6 mm hole in the rubber foot so you can expel water if need be.

Brendan
Post #456920 21st Sep 2015 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12