↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > lost my remap at dealers....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sib

lost my remap at dealers....
whilst having a new clutch, flywheel and rear prop bolts tightened on my 130 the dealers remapped my engine as standard procedure (they had a backdated remap to carry out) and as such i have lost my JE stage 1 tune. When i mentioned this to dealers they said that it was probably the tune ie extra power and top speed that led to flywheel problems and if i had it remapped at JE i would probably loose my warranty etc should i have any more transmission issues.

They say that various bits of the puma transmission is not designed to be stressed beyond standard factory limits, unlike the TD5 that would have had V8 options in other countries and so could take the strain, and indeed most transmission complaints were on tweaked puma`s and LR are starting to get a bit fed up with this and could get stricter on warranty issues. This is why the Disco4 has an anti remap system as standard (just means its harder to get around) They are very good dealers (TH White) for servicing defenders and said that had they spotted the remap before looking at the clutch etc they might not necessarily have undertaken the warranty work so willingly..

So now do i bother to get the remap at JE (should be free apparently) and risk warranty issues or just stick with factory settings ?? I really notice the lack of grunt now ant top speed of 82 is annoying (on the autobahn officer)

something to watch out for possibly... Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #20664 24th Dec 2009 4:31pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
If you modify any part of a vehicle, while under manufacturers warranty, the you run the risk of invalidating THEIR warranty,, whatever the mod was, California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #20675 24th Dec 2009 6:41pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Sounds like the usual dealer patter TBH, as usual presuming that the V8's are more powerful Rolling Eyes
See here http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/enginePwrSpecs.htm The TD5 has more horses and torques than a V8.

JE will stick the map back on FOC well they used to. I would stick the map back on and carry on if it all goes wrong again get JE to take it off before you take it back to the dealer.
Post #20679 24th Dec 2009 7:10pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Remap & Warranty Issues!
I personally having a remap myself would get yours reinstalled! Ask yourself "Why did you pay to get the remap in the first place?" Quite possibly your remap may have cost you a pretty penny in the first place. Without 'going public' on such an open forum and if you were a dealer ask yourself this question;-

In the current climate is it really good business practice to turn away warranty work on the strength of someone having a remap that you do not possibly know about or would overwrite in the course of diagnosis anyway?

Answer: NO IT IS NOT!

I know of a couple of dealerships that would 'possibly' turn a blind eye or a deaf ear! Your choice but for me it would be a 'no brainer!' If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #20680 24th Dec 2009 7:53pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
K9F just wondering who gives the OK for warranty work, is it the dealer or LR.
Post #20687 24th Dec 2009 9:49pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Dealers claim the money off Land Rover like if you were to pay after the work has been completed. If they are unsure if they will get the money from LR they will enquier with LR before carrying out work.

If anyone has modifiied their vehicles in any way they should ask themselves: Could my modification atributed to the failure? If the answer is yes- remove it before taking it in for work...............as for a engine re-map it is a no-brainer to put it back to standard map before taking it in for any work. If the dealer wanted to they could have charged you for all the work and then invalidated your warranty.

I wouldn't worry about drivetrain falure to power- it is all about the way you drive- if you drive a std map like a boy racer it won't last as long as someone who drives conservatively with a 200bhp map.

Glyn
Post #20692 24th Dec 2009 11:47pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Not the first time I hear clonk/issues with remap (eg. BAS). Somebody was already mentioning it on this forum. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #20696 25th Dec 2009 1:14am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
You should go back to Whites, and ask them then, why if they're so "anti remaps" they were selling boost boxes over the counter for Td5's a couple of years back?

They were even fitting them to brand new vehicles!

OK, this is Td5 not puma, but i can't imagine even Land Rover would design the transmission to just be able to cope with the power and nothing more...

i mean, standard transmission and extra power driven sensibly can be no worse than standard transmission and standard power driven like you stole it or overloaded everyday towing a trailer?
Post #20708 25th Dec 2009 11:14am
jamesbond007

Portugal 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Rimini Red
MK wrote:
Not the first time I hear clonk/issues with remap (eg. BAS). Somebody was already mentioning it on this forum.

That would be I.

Glynparry25 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about drivetrain falure to power- it is all about the way you drive- if you drive a std map like a boy racer it won't last as long as someone who drives conservatively with a 200bhp map.

Glyn

Well, perhaps. But I am more worried about the effect of the increased torque on the transmission. My driving has not really changed, which means that the transmission has to deal almost constantly with 20% more torque. Plus, one is tempted to use the capabilities of the engine more and therefore to use the torque more. So you end up using more than 20% of the original torque. Anyway, I have personally reverted to the original setting (v4), thinking that it is not really fair on the factory to make warranty claims with a modified vehicle, and they have made a very good upgrade with the v4 recall. Boldly going nowhere

Discovery 3 after a Defender 110 Crew Cab TD4 and a 1964 SIIA 88 Regular.
Post #20710 25th Dec 2009 11:59am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Its not the dealers - its Land Rover.

They made it well know 14+ months ago - they wrote to dealers stating a remapped car would instantly void all or parts of the warranty.

What happens (espeically at the minute) is small jobs the do and claim, large jobs they have to check and some jobs they have to get express permission and LR Warranty team investigate.

You can buy anything from a dealer - remember they are a business, whilst there may be a case the dealers sold it therefore...you are modifying it.

And a map does not come under the fit for purpose bracket eg: a roof rack is something you would reasonably expect to fit to a defender and that it should be up to the job of carrying that rack for overlanding as an example.

If the rack damages something not due to weight then there is a claim Mike
Post #20712 25th Dec 2009 1:32pm
sib

TH White are in my opinion a good dealership and did indeed offer a deaf ear to the problem and indeed used to "superchip" many vehicles and may still do so and are probably stuck between a rock and a hard place as a result.

my transmission wear/failure may well be a result of more torque/power going through it as a result of my JE stage 1 remap but the reason for remapping it in the first place is due to the fact that i do so much heavy towing with my heavy 130 and felt the real need to more ooomph as its so hilly near bath. If there was a factory option of a 2.7 or 3 litre engine i would tick that box without question but then brakes,transmission etc needs to be able to cope..

It seems to me a bit unfair to ask JE to unchip and rechip vehicles every time they go to the dealerships free of charge and i aslo think its unfair on LR to fork out for new bits of landys getting pounded by chipped vehicles but surely the drivetrain at least should be able to cope with heavy towing and even very rough driving with trailers etc hanging off the back ? They always used to. After all, the military now uses some puma landys and they must have a hell of a life..

bit of a grey area ?? Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #20754 26th Dec 2009 6:51pm
MK

Any way, it is embarrasing that WE Landies/Defies owners still live with clonk and other issues. Regarding the Puma nobody knows where the bl##dy clonks comes from. Chip or remap does`t worse. Mr. Green Puma 110" SW

Post #20757 26th Dec 2009 8:07pm
jamesbond007

That clonk is a killer. It is almost impossible not to get it when reversing (unless one stays on the clutch big time) and it does appear on roundabouts. Trying to be positive about it, it certainly motivates you to always try the best shifting (it keeps you on your shifting toes). Boldly going nowhere

Post #20758 26th Dec 2009 8:19pm
MK

jamesbond007 wrote:
That clonk is a killer. It is almost impossible not to get it when reversing (unless one stays on the clutch big time) and it does appear on roundabouts. Trying to be positive about it, it certainly motivates you to always try the best shifting (it keeps you on your shifting toes).

I didn`t have it until 12ths miles. That is my issue. Puma 110" SW

Post #20762 26th Dec 2009 8:38pm
jamesbond007

From day One. Checked twice (allegedly) by the dealer Big Cry Big Cry . First 20.000 km service coming up soon.

What disappeared after a few thousand km, was the noise in the front axle when coming to a halt in neutral. A noise similar to the clicketing of knitting needles. Rather impressive for the bystanders on a brand new (although people not in know never assume a Defender is less than 20 years old) vehicle. Mr. Green

Well, the rest of the experience is close to perfect, but that clonk sends me up the wall. Boldly going nowhere

Post #20763 26th Dec 2009 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>