↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > What Prop Shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LinDens90XS

2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
What Prop Shaft
Well came out this morning, reversing off drive wondered what had happened to hand brake as not holding, also no drive in reverse. Into 1st, still no drive. After just replacing Master and Slave cylinders thought what have I not done right?. Tried high and low box without success then tried diff lock, drive at last. My son found a nut on the drive so went under to see what it came off and guess what? no rear prop shaft. Now I know they don't just fall off silently, so only conclusion is that some thing has helped themselves over the weekend, good job it was left in gear or it could have rolled into the road. My dilemma now is do I replace with genuine (£395.50) or other, seem to range from £75 to £185 + vat. I know you get what you pay for but any pointers for and against would be very welcome. Also how can you make it difficult for scroats not to take next time?
Finally, is it still OK to drive around locally not going over say 55? Regards
Dennis.
Post #261800 28th Aug 2013 12:06am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I replaced mine on my old 90, I bought a double carbon one from paddocks about £250 if I remember correctly

If you are not in a hurry, why not put up a wanted advert in the for sale wanted section, I'm sure someone will have one spare i have one in the garage but I think it's a front prop

I'm not sure how you are going to stop someone removing it again

Good luck
Post #261805 28th Aug 2013 6:21am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I would buy

http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/4x4.asp

(Although I already have brought)

Andy
Post #261815 28th Aug 2013 8:14am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: What Prop Shaft
LinDens90XS wrote:
...Finally, is it still OK to drive around locally not going over say 55?

Yes, there should be no problem but drive gently (to reduce driveline stress) and be aware that the handling in front-wheel-drive-only is very different. Don't be caught out on wet roads where you can spin a front wheel easily.
Post #261817 28th Aug 2013 8:36am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: What Prop Shaft
LinDens90XS wrote:
Well came out this morning, reversing off drive wondered what had happened to hand brake as not holding, also no drive in reverse. Into 1st, still no drive. After just replacing Master and Slave cylinders thought what have I not done right?. Tried high and low box without success then tried diff lock, drive at last. My son found a nut on the drive so went under to see what it came off and guess what? no rear prop shaft. Now I know they don't just fall off silently, so only conclusion is that some thing has helped themselves over the weekend, good job it was left in gear or it could have rolled into the road. My dilemma now is do I replace with genuine (£395.50) or other, seem to range from £75 to £185 + vat. I know you get what you pay for but any pointers for and against would be very welcome. Also how can you make it difficult for scroats not to take next time?
Finally, is it still OK to drive around locally not going over say 55?

Oooo Son of a....

There are plenty of second hand props on eBay at the moment. Alternatively try Gwyn Lewis - http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page36.html - I have had one of his wide angle front prop shafts (and his suspension kit) for 6 or 7 years now and rate it very highly.
Post #261829 28th Aug 2013 10:22am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Gwyn Lewis or D44 get my vote Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #261836 28th Aug 2013 10:54am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Gwyn Lewis sells both GKN and Bailey Morris, the BM is IMV the best you can get and the GKN is a close second. Both of them come in at under £200, something like £160 for GKN and £190 for BM.

Alternatively Britpart do a Hardy Spicer propshaft for around £70, the Britpart "own brand" is about £20 cheaper than that I think but I think the Hardy Spicer one is a safer bet !

I run BM on the rear of mine after I twisted the Land Rover one into a neat spiral and snapped it on a steep climb. Having said that though if there's someone watching for your replacement perhaps the Britpart Hardy Spicer one is a better investment as it won't hurt as much if it goes the same way as the last one ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #261843 28th Aug 2013 11:27am
LinDens90XS

Thanks for that guy's, Gwyn Lewis has come up on other forums, only problem is that I don't intend fitting uprated suspension, so may be a wast? or not, any thoughts. Regards
Dennis.
Post #261851 28th Aug 2013 11:56am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
It's less about articulation and more about strength and durability for me. The BM, in particular, uses a much better sliding joint than the standard part which is not just longer but is smoother and stronger. The UJs are also larger which should also mean higher strength.

The Britpart Hardy Spicer is probably more than adequate for normal use though and comes in at just over 1/3 of the price. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #261853 28th Aug 2013 12:04pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Gwyn's props are bailey Morris props. (When I spoke to him last). So buy a bailey Morris direct from bailey Morris would be my vote. Gwyn uses them as they are strong, and have big uj's, which is better for articulation, easier to grease, easier to change uj's. They (BM) are a nice company to deal with. So at the cost its worth it in my opinion. But I have a standard prop here if you want second hand.

Andy
Post #261854 28th Aug 2013 12:05pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
I'd go for Bailey Morris. Ordered 2 for a friend last week, arrived next day and are well made. Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #261857 28th Aug 2013 12:18pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
LinDens90XS wrote:
Thanks for that guy's, Gwyn Lewis has come up on other forums, only problem is that I don't intend fitting uprated suspension, so may be a wast? or not, any thoughts.

As has been said it is about quality and durability. My 110 is now back down to standard ride height but still has Gwyn's prop on and compared to my previous defender with a standard front prop and UJs... I do not go through half as many UJs now... Quality and durability... Thumbs Up
Post #261894 28th Aug 2013 3:12pm
LinDens90XS

Just a WARNING to anyone that this happens to, DON'T DRIVE without putting at least 2 nuts on the bolts left on handbrake drum, the small screw holding the drum on came loose and nearly lost the drum but for the silencer stopping it falling off. Regards
Dennis.
Post #262190 29th Aug 2013 4:37pm
LinDens90XS

Down to possible three. Bailey Morris, GKN from Gwyn Lewis or from QT. Anyone know who makes QT ones? Regards
Dennis.
Post #262321 30th Aug 2013 12:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1