↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Dumfries and Galloway
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Dumfries and Galloway
Im up in Dumfries and Galloway soon and have just purchased 2 off OS Explorer maps for the area and neither map shows any public rights of way on them or Byways open to all traffic. Is this a Scottish thing or are OS changing thier policy?

so can anyone recommend any nice lanes in the area
thanks in advance
Rob

ps nice to me is none scratchy DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #255330 1st Aug 2013 4:53pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
No, it's a "Scottish Thing".

Most land in Scotland is privately owned, but the land reform act provides right-to-roam in most places, for non-vehicular traffic. There are some ancient rights of way, catalogued by the Scottish Rights of Way Society but, to be honest, the land reform act has made many of them redundant.

There are few byways or green lanes in Scotland. One reason for this is that English byways and green lanes are basically old roads that have fallen into disuse or been superseded by newer roads. In Scotland these roads are still in use and tarmaced! There are one or two exceptions; the Corrieyairick Pass between Laggan and Fort Augustus used to be open, but is currently closed.

IMHO, Scotland provides a different form of enjoyment for Land Rover owners. Many of the minor roads, while not technically challenging, do take you into remote places with stunning views and access to amazing wildlife. The lower population density means that there is generally a higher tolerance to activities that would be considered antisocial and frowned upon further south, such as driving onto a beach or wild camping by a river. The accent is on responsible use. There are a couple of iconic routes, such as the Bealach Na Ba over to Applecross, which goes up to around 2000 feet.

The Highlands in particular are riddled with estate tracks that would be heaven for a Land Rover based expedition, but they are all on vast private estates. It might always be worth contacting the estate to gain permission for access if you have a particular reason to do so. Sometimes, being polite and just asking can yield results. The fishing on some of the wild trout lochs is often administered by a local angling club or tackle shop, where you can buy permits. Permits for trout are not expensive (ca. £10.00 per day depending on location) and can sometimes include vehicle access to the loch along an estate track. So that's another "way in".

There is a website called "Who Owns Scotland" which requires a subscription but gives a clear idea of who owns which particular tract of land.

HTH 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Follow our blog: www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
Post #255361 1st Aug 2013 6:04pm
LR90XS2011

thanks for the rapid and comprehensive response, looks like I will be taking the MTBs then
all the best Rob DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #255387 1st Aug 2013 7:19pm
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
When are you coming up here? SLROC run GRRs which can turn out to be better than grenen laning as generally you don't get moaned at by walkers and locals as you have specific land owners permission. 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #255404 1st Aug 2013 8:16pm
LR90XS2011

wc 17th aug DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #255452 1st Aug 2013 9:55pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
My Scottish friends say that there is a right to camp in Scotland. Hence they never use commercial camp sites. I've been on some trips with them and it's odd, to a Sassenach, just pitching a tent anywhere. Fresh water isn't a problem but sanitation means you bring your own and then take it, if you get my drift!

Merlin
Post #255611 2nd Aug 2013 12:34pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Whereabouts in D&G are you headed? I work across a large area of the county and the Scottish Borders.

It's a lovely area, but not much to be had in the form of informal off-roading as above. However lots of the mountain/hill roads are stunning drives and there's wild camping to be had galore. Plenty of reasonably priced formal campsites as well.

If you are feeling the need to get off tarmac there are two forest drives in the Galloway Forest Park, The Raiders Road and the Carrick Forest Drive (each £2 for a day ticket).

Bring the mountain bikes as there is no shortage of trails, five of the seven 7stanes centres are in D&G so plenty of choice, plus of course literally thousands of miles of forest roads, country tracks etc. etc.
Post #256257 4th Aug 2013 8:00pm
LR90XS2011

Had a great time, great area, didnt off road but did cycle and walk a lot, also went to my first Country Fair since I was a kid and had a real good time. Best of all we had 4 badgers coming for tea at the patio door every evening DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #262742 31st Aug 2013 9:00pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Have you considered "Morroch Bay"...see http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9383.html?highlight=morroch Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #263050 2nd Sep 2013 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1