↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Issues with aluminium spacers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Issues with aluminium spacers?
Had a chat with a few peeps at the billing show about wheel spacers, on found some on a mantec stand,
as I don't know a great deal about them I wanted to get some knowledge before I parted with my cash!
One worry I heard was an aluminium spacer had split and caused a wheel to come off!!! I suppose due to the stress and weight? He was luckily driving on a slow stretch of road after coming off a duel carriageway!
With this in mind a set of steel ones should be a safer bet, any one had any experience with them?
Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #254481 29th Jul 2013 9:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Buy proper versions from Rakeway, if you must have them. Thumbs Up

I ran 35's on beadlock Mach 5's and never had any trouble Thumbs Up

Post #254486 29th Jul 2013 10:09pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not sure why they would crack and split unless they where loose.

There is no difference between having a spacer or wheel with an offset giving the same width.

The only issue I have with mine is it's another thing on the checklist to check for torque occasionally. It means I have to remove the wheels to check them. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #254521 30th Jul 2013 7:19am
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I had a set of Bulldog ones fitted before getting some Zu's, if you are going to get some then make sure they are hub-centric, it gives better strength. As with the above post, the bolts on the spacer need checking now and then, I used Threadlock on mine to make sure. They helped with the turning circle a bit, and filled the arches better although you may get more mud/stones up the side of your vehicle.
Post #254523 30th Jul 2013 7:31am
x-isle

Good point Lambley.

Defo put threadlock on them! Thumbs Up Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #254524 30th Jul 2013 7:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
x-isle wrote:
Good point Lambley.

Defo put threadlock on them! Thumbs Up

Why?

Do you also threadlock your wheelnuts?
Post #254532 30th Jul 2013 8:05am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Question is why do you need wheel spacers?

As far as I am aware they are banned under MSA regulations so you will not be able to do club level trialling under MSA rules.

Turning circle, adjust steering locks first off.

Tyres outside wheel arch is illegal.

Wider stance, consider different rims.

Brendan
Post #254533 30th Jul 2013 8:07am
Lambley

blackwolf wrote:
x-isle wrote:
Good point Lambley.

Defo put threadlock on them! Thumbs Up

Why?

Do you also threadlock your wheelnuts?

No, the bolts on the spacers are fixed to the spacers from the inside, they are supposed to be fixed and are not supposed to be removed but can potentially come loose, so a dab of threadlock simply stops the bolts from loosening when the wheel nuts are tightened
Post #254551 30th Jul 2013 9:12am
Lambley

leeds wrote:

As far as I am aware they are banned under MSA regulations so you will not be able to do club level trialling under MSA rules.
Quote:
Not relevant to me at all

Turning circle, adjust steering locks first off.
Quote:
Gives extra adjustment due to wider track, so the adjusters can be adjusted even more to give a tighter circle

Tyres outside wheel arch is illegal.
Quote:
They are not outside the arches, just fill the arches better

Wider stance, consider different rims.
Quote:
Have done, bought Zu's - as said

Spacers are a personal thing, they suit some people I guess, when fitted with std Boost etc they do work, give a better ride and fill the arches nicely. I changed from std wheels to Zu's partly because I didn't like the idea of bolting an extra part to the axle and also because I like the Zu's, but spacers do a job and I had no problems, each to their own.
Post #254552 30th Jul 2013 9:29am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
None of the commercially available spacers I've looked at have been tested properly either for design or consistency/suitability of materials. The thickness of metal left in some parts of the spacers is marginal, particularly given that when a spacer is fitted it's the only thing holding the wheel onto the hub, effectively isolating the wheel from the hub. When I've challenged suppliers about this in the past they've all fallen back on the "well, they're supplied for off road use, not road use" clause. The materials used are unclear falling simply under the "steel" or "alloy" description.

Spacers in general are used as a bodge to fit the wrong wheels to the vehicle. If you need/want a larger backspace on the wheel then the best and safest solution is to get the correct rims in the first place rather than padding out ones without the correct backspace.

IF you do go down the route of fitting spacers then try and find some genuine TUV approved ones. They will come with a certificate of conformity - not a photocopied one as one supplier tried to pass off until I asked to see the original documentation, at which point he admitted he'd just copied one that an ebay seller was giving out ! If you compete in any motor sport events you should need the original certificate to get through scrutineering and I believe there should be a mark on the spacers (although none of the UK suppliers I've talked to could confirm that as none of them were actually TUV approved).

The MSA do allow spacers to be used for cross country motor sport but they must be TUV approved. Even if you can't get TUV approved spacers I'd certainly get something in writing from the supplier confirming their suitability and legality for road use, that way you have documented proof if you lose a wheel and it injures or kills someone.

There are a lot of things you can bolt onto a Land Rover to "tart it up a bit" but few of them have the potential to cause so much harm to yourself and others if they fail as a wheel spacer. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #254568 30th Jul 2013 10:20am
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
Unless MSA rules have changed in the last 10 years then the rules allow for 1inch spacers (MSA hadn't quite got used to metric!) which effectively banned spacers but the reality was that 30mm spacers have been allowed as they are the nearest equivalent to 1inch.
Post #254569 30th Jul 2013 10:28am
x-isle

leeds wrote:

...because I wanted to keep the Boost Alloys, but give a wider stance with 265s. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #254577 30th Jul 2013 10:50am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
x-isle wrote:
There is no difference between having a spacer or wheel with an offset giving the same width.

I would beg to differ - there's a world of difference to the load paths of forces acting on and through the wheels/hubs.

As said below, why do you want them; consider getting wheels with the appropriate offset first.
Post #254581 30th Jul 2013 11:10am
x-isle

Everyone will have their own view, but if used correctly and the nuts remain torqued up, there should be no issues.

I used to race under MSA rules (albeit circuit racing) and we used spacers quite often to give a wider axle on the back.

The only MSA ruling at the time was we had to change the studs so that there was enough thread to be able to correctly/safely torque the nuts. The correct torque ensures that the load is spread against the faces of the wheel, hub and spacer and not the actual nuts and studs. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #254586 30th Jul 2013 11:28am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
JR wrote:
Unless MSA rules have changed in the last 10 years then the rules allow for 1inch spacers (MSA hadn't quite got used to metric!) which effectively banned spacers but the reality was that 30mm spacers have been allowed as they are the nearest equivalent to 1inch.

They have indeed changed, they allowed the use of 30mm spacers but now all spacers must be TUV approved. It's also worth saying that 30mm spacers were never allowed, it's just that some scrutineers chose to ignore the regulations - that is not the same thing ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/

Last edited by davew on 30th Jul 2013 11:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #254587 30th Jul 2013 11:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>