Home > Puma (Tdci) > Snorkel removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eau02467

Scotland 
Snorkel removal
Hi all,

Finally got sick of the extra noise transmitted into the cab from the factory fitted snorkel on my defender. Just wondering if anyone can suggest some bungs that I can fit in the holes left in the windscreen frame to make a neat job of the removal, really don't want to go down the route of filling and painting
Post #434336 28th Jun 2015 7:28pm
Eau02467

Scotland 
So given that there appears to be no neat solution to removing a snorkel it begs the question; how do you all put up with the additional noise it creates and is there a way to reduce it?
Post #436825 10th Jul 2015 8:22am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Bungs for the windscreen frame? How big were the holes then as they are usually just self-tappers. I didn't notice any noise increase with the Safari aftermarket one. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #436833 10th Jul 2015 8:51am
theorangebandit

Only noise I get is when the windows down I can hear a alight deep bellow from the snorkel. I quite like it but it is also very subtle. A good way to hide the holes is with dome head screws. Not sure what size yours are but I think mine are m8. Domw heads would appear smooth and can come in a few colours depending on vendor.

The old skool method to cover old holes in land rovers has always been refit the old bolts or stick a blind rivet in the hole. And the fancy pants among us would them paint the rivets to match.

A short term solution if you decide to remove sooner is a nice blob of silicone with a little bit raised so you could simply pull it out.

Options after this I have either not considered or involve filling and painting
Post #436836 10th Jul 2015 9:03am
Eau02467

Scotland 
i find a low rumble between about 1200-1900 rpm, under load and it is almost unbearable, doesn't disappear without the snorkel but at least it is not in line with my ears, measured with a decibel meter and over 85db
Post #436840 10th Jul 2015 9:21am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I know it doesn't help in this instance but when fitting a snorkel don't bother drilling the windscreen frame. My oringinal windscreen frame bracket started rotting out as the paint started detaching. I had a stainless bracket made and simply used Sikaflex to adhere it to the frame and snorkel that negates the requirement to drill.

Just visible if you increase the size of the picture.

Click image to enlarge

Not sure where your noise is coming from but all I had was the same as theoragebandit a slightly 'discenible growl' but I have an aftermarket filter and no cat as well. Did you not have any vacated holes in the wing after removing the body? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #436842 10th Jul 2015 9:28am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Could it bed me thing else like a rack instead?

K9 - That stuff your talking about saw it on the UK sealants website the other day.
Is it more of an adhesive and not a silicone as it must have some serious grab to suite the purpose you mention.
Post #436868 10th Jul 2015 11:39am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There are several types or grades of Sikaflex but generally speaking it is a sealant / adhesive and quite different to silicone.

One thing to bear in mind when sticking painted surfaces is that the bond / adhesion will only be as good as the bond / adhesion of the paint to the bare metal Smile Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #436897 10th Jul 2015 1:22pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Interesting...

My observation was before I fitted my Mantec snorkel (LR OEM basis) on my Puma 2.2, I could really hear the induction noise from the intake behind the RHS front wheel. With the snorkel fitted, it is MUCH quieter, just a slight intake noise if I have the window down. No wind noise either! YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #436961 10th Jul 2015 7:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:

One thing to bear in mind when sticking painted surfaces is that the bond / adhesion will only be as good as the bond / adhesion of the paint to the bare metal Smile

That would be questionable then. Laughing
Post #436976 10th Jul 2015 9:26pm
Eau02467

Scotland 
YOLO110 wrote:
Interesting...

My observation was before I fitted my Mantec snorkel (LR OEM basis) on my Puma 2.2, I could really hear the induction noise from the intake behind the RHS front wheel. With the snorkel fitted, it is MUCH quieter, just a slight intake noise if I have the window down. No wind noise either!

interesting - the factory fitted snorkel on mine seems to just shift that induction noise right up to beside my ear, maybe i look into a mantec...
Post #436983 10th Jul 2015 9:44pm
LoveB

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
put a safari one on my 2.2 can hear a lot more wind noise against the snorkel! lol
Post #440018 23rd Jul 2015 11:44pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
My gen LR RAI is actually quieter than without it, sounds daft I know, but I used to get terrible wind noise from the corner of the guttering by the windscreen. Fitting this RAI seems to have solved that Shocked
The only noise I get from it is when the wind is blowing from the side of the vehicle and even then it's no where near as bad as without it! Looks good too Thumbs Up
Post #440067 24th Jul 2015 10:10am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
when i fitted my Safari snorkel the inductuion noise was reduced, probably due to the forward facing head.

very little wind noise either, although i have a roof rack on as well so probably cant tell what noise it does make.
Post #440071 24th Jul 2015 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1