↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Mounting Howling Moon RTT to Hannibal Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cracka

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Mounting Howling Moon RTT to Hannibal Rack
Evening all, just wondering if anyone here has fitted a Howling Moon roof top tent to a Hannibal rack. I have the 1.4 stargazer and I'm wondering about fitting.

The tent has an aluminium channel extrusion that I have bolted to the bottom of the tent. There are supplied M8 stainless bolts whose heads slide into this channel extrusion and are held captive. Is this method strong, with the 60 kgs of tent bouncing around it just doesn't seem to be much meat holding the bolt head, I could be over thinking it though Whistle

Do I use flat steel bar or aluminium and span the underside of the slats of the rack and bolt either side of the slat?

OR

Do I drill a hole in the centre recess of the slat and pass the bolt though, I don't know if I want to start drilling holes in my rack just yet Embarassed

Whatever way It needs to be easy on and off as I will be taking the RTT on and off when needed.

I'm open to suggestions and criticism.

Oh and I have to mount a Howling Moon 2.5 Safari awning as well!

Thanks

Mick
Post #253464 24th Jul 2013 2:23pm
keith

Scotland 
Hi mate this a great question for me as this is my exact setup . I'm in Tbilisi right now drunk on cha-cha so might not be reedable . Ok so I use the aluminium bars to hold HM tent to cannibal rack . Don't drill hills . My rack on my 110 has always been facing backwards ie : with the open end at the back door so my tent opens from the rear over the door and ladder down the back . Hop this elps man .
Post #253502 24th Jul 2013 6:13pm
Cracka

Thanks for the reply Keith, yeah I worked it out Rolling with laughter that cha cha must be good stuff, hope your'e having a good time over there.

Do you remember what size plate you used under the slat, width and thickness, steel or aluminium.

Thanks mate

Mick
Post #253557 24th Jul 2013 10:27pm
Cracka

I got some 50mm x 6mm flat ally plate and cut into 150mm lengths to use. I'll use that on the underside of the rack planks/slat with an 8mm bolt either side of the plank to sandwich it to the bottom of the tent rails.

Mick
Post #253767 26th Jul 2013 8:32am
Cracka

Well I got the tent mounted. I'll post some piccies because we all like looking at other peoples stuff, yeah I know, a bit voyeuristic Laughing

I didn't get any with the awning open and only 1 of the entrances as I wanted to get it back down before the dew started settling as I took it back off and put it in the garage until I need it.

I'm not sure whether I will use it in this configuration out the back or I might try it off the drivers side and mount it all the way forward on the rack, the weight distribution might be a bit better like that as well. I still have to mount the 2.5m Safari Awn on the passenger side.

Any ideas on pros and cons as to rear fold to side fold.

I'm sort of thinking side fold as when the boat trailer is on if I need to stop and use the tent I won't need to unhitch the trailer.

But then the rear fold is good as you get protection for the rear door and is is closer to the awning.

Decisions decisions........

I don't know what the go is with photobucket, my photos looked brilliant, crisp good definition and now they look like crap Sad

Click image to enlarge
Post #255206 1st Aug 2013 10:40am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
You got the same set-up as us, although ours is mounted on a roll cage, rather than roof rack. It is primarily for a 4 month tour of Australia next Feb-June.

Having done quite a few test trips now I'd say the 'over the back' works exceptionally well with the annexe - once set up you have access to all your gear out of the back of the truck - without having to unzip the doors and go outside. This is especially useful during wet weather as it means you don't have to get wet, and you don't have the hassle of putting shoes on, etc.

When it has been good weather, once set up for the evening, we've pretty much left the back door (90 and annexe) open - easy to get stuff out of the fridge (beer, cake, etc), easy to grab clothes bag in a morning, etc.

Can't imagine having the tent over the side or bonnet - would be really frustrating not having direct access to kit from either the awning or under the cover of the tent above if annexe not on.

Link to our blog in my signature, lots of pics and info about prep, set-up, etc.

When we get on the road down under next year, who knows we might cross paths somewhere ! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #255237 1st Aug 2013 12:54pm
Cracka

G'day Pam, I have been keeping an eye on your blog after you gave me the heads up on it a couple of months ago when we spoke about these tents and the rear spare into the annex area, hence the reason I posted those 2 particular photos.

I found the cover is a bitch to get back on, really tight to get the zip done up, any tips or does the cover end up stretching a bit. How do you guys get all of your canvas in when folding. I jumped onto the rack and pushed it in once I had it folded over but not tied down yet.

This was obviously the first time I put the tent up and it took about 20 minutes for the tent and then another 20 - 25 for the annex, hopefully I'll get quicker. I found the zip from the annex to the tent was a bit high (I'm only 172cm)I might need one of those small collapsable stools to reach a bit easier and speed things up.

Another thing, sorry for all the questions. When you pack the tent with the end over the entrance, do you leave the entry window open and then push all of that canvas (the canvas that extends out over the annexe) in through that window. If so, when its wet, how do you keep the bedding/mattress dry.

Yes the rear fold certainly does have more pros than side fold.

Have you got a date fixed for the trip.

Mick
Post #255251 1st Aug 2013 1:16pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Sorry, had forgotten our previous postings ! Put it down to an exceptionally good summer here and I've not been working - so getting brain fade! Wink

Cover - ours definitely seems to have 'given' a bit with use, but the trick is to make sure the velcro straps at either side are pulled down as fa as possible to get the tent as 'flat' as possible. We found that with pillows as well as duvet (doona) this isn't easy ! Last couple of trips we've left the duvet inside but stored the pillows in the back of the 90. Even so, I get the job of climbing onto the roof and sitting on the tent to squash it down.

The other tip with getting it to fold more neatly and tightly is to push in as much of the canvas and flysheet material between the bars as you fold it. Our routine is that Dave starts folding, then I leap up on the back wheels and push as much of the canvas and flysheet material as possible between the bars - do one side, then leap off, scurry round the the other side, do that side, then Dave lowers a bit more, I repeat my bit, then Dave folds it the rest of the way. We then tidy up by tucking in the bits sticking out the front. Then I get on the roof, sit on the tent, one side then the other, and do up the velcro straps.

Then I make sure that the canvas bit that covers the edge of the tent when it is up is pulled up over the corners, out of the way of the cover zip.

Dave then attaches the cover and then throws it up to me from the back. I then make sure it is on squarely and pulled down around each corner, before Dave starts zipping. We find the middle bit of the zip at the front is the hardest, so I stay on the roof and do that bit. We have attached a length of leather 'lace' (about 25cm) to the zip pull which really helps with the angles and pulling along.

Dave also says the height is 'just' a bit too high - he has a bit of a stretch to get the zips attached but he manages. We ought to just get a little folding step, but it is something extra to store and space is at a premium!

As for when we pack it, we do push the flysheet and door canvas into the open end entrance, even when the tent is wet. So far, even after very wet nights, we've not had a problem with the bedding getting wet, so I think that works fine.

When we got the tent we had it mounted at the UK distributors premises (as it is only 40 miles from us!) and they showed us how to pack it away and gave us some hints and tips. Some we still do, other things we don't as we've found our own preferred techniques... We are definitely much quicker now then when we started!

We haven't made flight and container bookings yet, but at the moment we are looking to fly out to New Zealand to spend a few days with Dave's cousin and family late February and then fly on to Sydney - planning to have the truck out of the container and all cleared so we can get out of Sydney and on the open road by the 1st of March! Thumbs Up Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #255271 1st Aug 2013 2:05pm
Cracka

G'day Pam, thanks for the detailed reply. Don't worry about the brain fade when I asked about your trip dates I didn't realise you actually mentioned it in your first paragraph Rolling Eyes

It sounds as though I have been doing the same as you guys in relation to the packing up, except doing it myself as my wife was at work. It was definitely easier when the tent was on saw stools in the garage Laughing

The toughest part of my zipping closed of the cover is as you described as well, the front middle.

I'll keep track of the blog as I have been to see where you guys are up to.

Mick
Post #255476 1st Aug 2013 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1